Search

Flight from Toronto to London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight from Toronto to London

Hi
We will be flying to London from Toronto this May 2004 to celebrate our honeymoon in London and Paris. Although the trip is still many months away we have begun to search online for flights. Currently, we have found that British Airways ($690.87 return, per person) is the best deal. We want to ensure that we get the dates we want, but we also don't want to spend a fortune. Is this price okay or will there be seat sales the closer we get to the departure date? We have never flown to Europe before and we would appreciate any assistence.

We have posted this message on the Airline Board, buy we thought this board would also be appropriate.

Thank you.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately you just missed a BIG BA sale last week. Flights in May were $US 150 each way plus taxes. ($100 each way before May, and $250 after May).

There is no way to know ahead of time if there will be another sale -- If they sold enough seats w/ this one there might not be a need for more sales. Just from the number of Fodorites who booked it does look like they sold a BUNCH.

Is that $690 inc fees, or plus fees and US$ or Can$? If it is including taxes/fees it is not too bad.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. The fare includes all taxes and is in Canadian dollars.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Minya, it's a pretty good fare for Toronto. You didn't miss anything - BA's sales that Janis quotes were from American airports.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:59 PM
ira

Dear Janis,

May I respectfully suggest that it does no good to tell people that they just missed out on a great bargain?
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:02 PM
ira

Hi Minya,

If you want to pin down particular dates, $700 is a good fare.

You might be able to save $50 - 75 pp, but run the risk of having to change your dates.

PS, it is not all that early for May.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:51 PM
BAK

I went to London, and sort of to Paris, on my honeymoon many years ago, and have some advice.

I used to work for a weird guy who gave us tickets, but we were never sure if he'd sell them to someone else before we got on the plane, so we did not do enough planning.

In retrospect, we should have ...

Made a better list of places we wanted to see in London. Even after another three trips, I've never seen the British Museum., and would like to, for instance.

We should have thought through restaurants better, so we had an idea of where to go each night so we'd cover all the food types we were interested in. We did mange to get a great British traditional roast beef dinner, but we never did get to fish and chips.

And it would have been a good idea for each of us to pick one treat that interested us deeply, without worrying about including the other. Catherine might have, for instance, gone to a nice hotel for afternoon tea, and I might have gone to Greenwich to see the ship there.

We flew from London to Zurich and drove to Nice and flew back to Paris and changed planes back to Toronto. In retrospect, that was probably too much, but at least we changed our plans once we were on the Riviera, and stayed put a couple of days.

But you are going to Paris -- again, make a list of places that matter. I've still not seen the Louvre, but I have been to the Pompideau three times. Do some research now, so you know which museums to see and which to skip, based on true interest and not tourist popularity.

I think the same pre-trip meal planning, at least for dinners, is a good diea. leave lunch plans open to serandipity.

As for souvenirs to bring back home; again, some pre-planning is a good diea, although my solution is often chocolate, which is great, reasonably priced, and easy to find at the last minute.

But if you have present-delivery obligations, before you leave home find out about flea markets, the postcard vendors, used books along the Seine, fancy underwear at the designer department stores (this was a plan, once, until I found out how much French underwear cost)

In both cities, do not be apprehensive of the Underground/Metro. it';s close enough to the TTC to not be scary, but watch out for groups of little crooked kids in PAris who will pick your pockets.

We did not plan hotels properly, and found ourselves looking for places to stay. Having reservations in advance, at least in some places, prevents worry, because everything takes a lot longer than it does in Toronto.

Some movie viewing might be in order. A couple of London-based moivies, and a couple of Paris-based movies provide ideas of what to see, and make you say "I've seen that" when you really do come across something in person you saw in a movie.

Hobbgy-basedholiday. If you have a particular interest and there's a great place in London or Paris for this, go the the Crochet Hall of Fame, or whatever. After all, people come here to see the Bata Shoe Museum.

Take lots of photos, but not so many that you forget to look at the scenery with your eye not blocked by the camera.

Finally, my daughter loved the catacombs and sewers in Paris, and I loved the takeout french fries in paper cones in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

Take a river cruise in both c cities.

IF either of you has a gold-level credit card, chck what special privileges this gives you in checking in at BA at Pearson. There may be a benefit that involves missing long, long lines.

BAK

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

BAK, thank you so much for the tips. Although the honeymoon isn't until May, I have started planning our itinerary (which includes the hotels we are going to stay at, the sites were are going to visit, some specific stores/markets to spend money in, and which trains will get us to where we want to go.)

I am curious about which items can I purchase that can only be purchased in Paris and London. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM

Minya, As Ira says, $700 is a good price for a flight in May. Even if you did wait and could save $50 or $75 , it wouldn't be worth the risk to give up the flight you have.
The special deals they were talking about would not have helped anyway....they were in US dollars and only from US cities.
You may see in the future, good deals advertised by the charter airlines, like Air Transat, but you will be much more comfortable in British Airways.
Go for it....it sounds good.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Minya, I just did some searching and checked the Zoom web site.
www.flyzoom.com and they are showing a return flight in May at $539 with all taxes...Toronto to London.
I'm not sure if the dates will work out for you, but do check this site. Good luck.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:53 PM

I've taken Air Transat and it is not the most comfortable, but the service was pretty good and the flight was as good as could be expected. I've also heard that British Airways is not the most comfortable. I've heard Zoom has a 35" seat pitch and that Air Transat has a 28 - 31" pitch. Anyone know what British Airways has? Our seatmate on Air Transat did tell us that Transat was primitive compared to BA or Virgin.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:14 PM

$539US = $700CAN
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 10:51 PM

You might like to check out Candian Affair, they have pretty competative fairs on charter flights. We have used them in the past and been pleased with the service. http://www.canadian-affair.com
I just put a couple of dates in for May 2004 and got a price of £294.00 (about 638$ canadian I think). Hope this helps.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 11:00 PM

A quick P.S. to the above, Canadian Affair have some unbelievable offers for May, I have only just noticed them! £100 one way Toronto-Gatwick and £89 one way (taxes incl.)Gatwick-Toronto, dates are a bit restricted but if they are suitable for you its quite a bargain. (416$ can. for the return trip).
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:55 AM

Canadian Affair is the agent for Zoom flights.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Garfield, I'm talking about $539 Canadian, NOT US$$. We're taking about Canadian flights here, so why would the quote be in American dollars?
Also, Minya, check out the prices for Air Transat. As WillTravel says, they aren't the most comfortable, but I've flown them many times. When budget is important, their prices are good. Have a look at their site.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:04 AM

"Also, Minya, check out the prices for Air Transat. As WillTravel says, they aren't the most comfortable, but I've flown them many times. When budget is important, their prices are good. Have a look at their site."

They can't be any more uncomfortable that the one time that I flew British Airways. Though that wasn't transatlantic.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone that replied.
From all of your advise, I have check both www.flyzoom.com and Air Transat. Unfortunately, we can't travel the dates that are offered by flyzoom and Air Transat (We want to leave on a Tuesday and return the following Saturday).
We have travelled with Air Transat before ( we are flying with Air Transat to our wedding) and although it was mentioned that British Airways is not that comfortable, it would be nice to experience a different airline. I have heard the service is better on BA than on Air Transat.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. We really appreciate it.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Do you have to depart on a Saturday? From what I can see, you would mostly get very high rates, because you do not have a Saturday night stay. What if you left on a Sunday morning? That would give you more choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -