Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flight from London to Spain--Is this a good fare?

Jan 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

I'm beginning my search to book 4 flights from London to Spain in April. We need to fly from London (LHR) to Madrid (April 14) and then from Granada back to London (April 24). I found a fare on Iberia (really a BA flight) that totals $867 including taxes for all 4 of us. Is that a good price, or should I keep hunting? I've looked around on Ryan and Easyjet and I'm not seeing anything cheaper there. Thanks!
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
rex

Track your options on www.whichbudget.com and/or www.opodo.co.uk - - I found cheaper on easyjet and flymonarch.com

Don't know how flexible your itinerary is (is the combo you listed perfect for you?) - - flybmi.com lists sale fares of 40 GBP but that might require round trip, and I don't know about the taxes.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Rex. Thanks for your help. I tried opodo already--the cheapest I saw there was £756, a lot more than $867. Whichbudget didn't seem very helpful? Flymonarch doesn't list Madrid as a city served--so maybe you could tell me what I did wrong and what you found that was cheaper. And I didn't see Easyjet serving Granada. If you could tell me more about the cheaper options you found, I would be so appreciative! The dates and cities for our itinerary are not flexible, but flight times are, though we would prefer am flights on the outbound and around noon for the return. Thanks!
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM

I see an itinerary where you could go
LGW-MAD on April 14 for about 270 pounds (with all fees included) on EasyJet for all four of you.

Then for the return, you could go
GRX (Granada) - STN (London Stansted) on Ryanair for about 160 Euros, again for all four.

Altogether, that's about $670. You'd have to decide if those airlines and those airports would be worth the $200 savings.
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM

doesn't seem too bad.
considering all taxes and fees.
so many times the taxes and fees are way more than the flights.

if you are locked into dates and destinations i wouldn't wait too long.

i find whichbudget VERY helpful in giving all the companies serving the country i am going to.

then you check them individually.
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM

samtraveler,

On these budget airlines there's no need to book a round trip, so it's perfectly acceptable to do London-Madrid with Easyjet and Granada-London with Ryanair. Of course you'd be departing from Gatwick and returning to Stansted, which might be a bit annoying, but you decide if it's worth it!
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM

And of course if you are doing an airport switch on your first day (I think it's possible the way you describe your itinerary), you want to be sure to allow time for your airline's delays, Heathrow's delays, London traffic delays, etc.
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all your replies. This is so helpful. I'm going to look into that Easyjet/Ryan Air itinerary--I hadn't thought of using two carriers combining two one-ways to make the trip. It sure would be nice to save a couple hundred bucks!

For whichbudget it looked like you had to check each individual London airport one-by-one to find prices, which seemed like a big pain--and I'd have to do this twice (once for the outbound and once for the return). Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Strangely when I found this $867 flight on Iberia, it's cheaper if I booked through the UK version of Iberia.com than if I booked the very same flight itinerary with the US version of Iberia.com. Go figure!
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I checked BMI for LHR-MAD on April 14. Incredibly, BMI is charging 297 pounds for a one-way flight on this date, although the cheapest fares are usually less than 1/6 that price. This suggests to me that your date is in high demand, so I would book something quickly, whatever you choose.

It's quite possible the $200 savings mentioned above wouldn't amount to much when airport transport for four was considered.
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
rex

As WillTrav explained, I looked at it as Easyjet LON-MAD and flymonarch for GRX-LON

It's true that investigating London is awkward on whicbudget - - but the key is to just look up the city with only one airport - - MAD, for example, shows all the LON carriers at once; likewise GRX.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

WillTravel, is transport to Gatwick and Stansted more pricey than to Heathrow? If so, this could indeed eat away at the $200 savings.

I sure wish Ryan flew to Madrid--their fares can be great!

I think the fact that it's Good Friday might have something to do with higher fares to Madrid. I definitely want to book ASAP.

Thanks to all for helping me with this.
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
rex

In general, transport to Stansted will be more expensive than any of the other airports. If you are willing to travel to LHR by way of the Tube, then naturally, everything else will be more expensive by comparison (transport to LHR on the Tube is under 4 GBP, if I recall correctly).

Is this side trip to Spain part of a larger itinerary. Why are you originating in London, and returning to London? (It doesn't seem that you live there, as you would not be asking these transport questions, nor expressing prices in $USD.)
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Re transport from Stansted, there is a wonderful bus called Terravision run by an Italian outfit. Stansted-Liverpool St was £7 and Stansted-Victoria £8 last October. Not bad I thought. National Express does much the same for a few £s more. Both companies offer service every 30 minutes. Check em out.
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely need to consider all the transport options and their respective costs before booking cheaper flights out of Stansted--thanks for the heads up. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it. And we would travel via the Tube to LHR.

Yes we live in the US, but my husband has been assigned to his firm's London office for 3 months (beginning a week from tomorrow!). My children and I will be joining him Feb. 4. The assignment will end April 13. We thought we'd take a vacation to Spain before heading back to the states on the 25th of April (his firm already has us booked on flights in and out of London). So this explains the London to Spain itinerary.
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:36 AM

Use www.skyscanner.net which seems to be more up to date than WhichBudget.