Flight from Detroit to Naples

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Flight from Detroit to Naples

I am having all kinds of trouble trying to get to Naples from Detroit. My award miles are no good for, it seems, anytime in Oct. I am traveling with an 80 year old mom and need very convienent route. Any ideas or sales ( do I fly maybe to London or Amsterdam? and take a plane to Naples?) Is anyone good at this sort of thing?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:50 PM

I can't give real specifics since I've never flown to Naples (done Venice and Rome), but here goes anyway:

If you're in Detroit, that almost certainly means Northwest/KLM. Miles on NWA can be a problem to redeem. But the Amsterdam idea on NWA is solid - the airport there is a good one and I think one plane change should be doable for your mother if she is up to the trip at all. There's lots of help available there if she has mobility problems.

This is a prime route for NWA, so it's likely to be highly protected from the mechanics strike/bankruptcy issues. NWA to Amsterdam, then a cheap flight to Naples, would be my choice.

As for fares... well, I liken that to playing the lottery: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I use consolidators a lot. But there are lots of avid fare-watchers here who might know of some deals.

Let's hope someone with more specific ideas can help.

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!Any ideas at this point. I am ready to cash the whole idea in!! Who are the consolidators you use? I am pretty new at this and need the advice!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:29 AM

We've used various ones. We bought tickets for our spring trip to Italy through Best Travel Store. Rock-bottom prices, but restricted, restricted, restricted tickets. You should hit the Web sites of a lot of companies before you buy, and make sure you're comfortable being locked into your choice before you give them a credit card number.

It might also be a good idea to ask here on the boards about reliability of the company before you give one your business.

Keep checking back here tomorrow (lots of folks post from work, so things pick up during the U.S. workday).

Are you a new poster? If so, remember that you can find your post again to check answers by clicking on your own screen name in the Fodor's header. It will bring up all of your posts (when it's working properly - mine's acting glitchy tonight).
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:11 AM

ttt