Search

Honeymoon to Italy/France "Two for the Road"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon to Italy/France "Two for the Road"

Hi!

My fiance and I are marrying mid-September and leaving immediately after on our honeymoon. We're spending the first week of our honeymoon in the Maldives and Dubai.

For the second part of our honeymoon, we are spending 9 days in Europe. We don't have anything planned yet except our flights (to MXP), but we're inspired by the movie "Two for the Road" to take a road trip through the rivieras (doing so without any heartbreak, of course).

So far, we've just kind of outlined the road trip. We would really appreciate suggestions for fun adventures, sight-seeing, places to stay/eat and favorite BEACHES along this route. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Day 1: (AM) fly into Milan (PM) drive to Monaco or Hyeres
Day 2: (AM) Monaco/Hyeres, drive up riviera (PM) drive to Cinque Terre
Day 3: Cinque Terre, spend night on a boat
Day 4: Rome
Day 5: Rome
Day 6: Riviera (what towns should we visit??)
Day 7: Milan
Day 8: Milan
Day 9: (AM) Milan, (PM) fly home
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 03:22 PM

What boat are you gonna spend the night on in the Cinque Terre - curious as when I've been there I've seen no such things but that was a whilses ago?
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 03:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Give the Riviera anothwr night, take it from Milan. Visit wither Camogli, or Santa Margherita Ligure.
You are going far out of your way to see Monaco/ Hyeres for one night. Hyeres is too far for one night. There are much nicer places near Monaco such as Cap Ferrat. I would skip them and add a night to Camogli or Santa Margherita Ligure.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 03:47 PM

Two for the Road is one of my top five movies of all time. The musical score is just beautiful! Yes, honeymoon, not heartbreak, and car breakdowns, etc. Time to watch it again.....
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of day do you land at Malpensa? After you've rented the car, the drive to Hyeres is more than 6 hours if you want to stay on the coast as much as possible. Then the very next day, you have another 6+ hours drive to the Cinque Terre. These times are without stops or any traffic delays.

Day 6 is confusing. You will have already driven the French and Italian Rivieras. Some of the route twice. If you wanted to drive the coast from the Cinque Terre to Rome, that would be yet another 6+ hour drive.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 04:17 PM

Have you checked out the beaches where you will be going. On the riviera many are not sand but instead pebbles or even rocks. And in some places there is not much beach at all. Also - sorry - the Med is IMHO very flat and kind of boring (but then I'm used to the North atlantic, pounding surf and broad fine white sand beaches).

These places are fine for relaxing but not so sure for beach.

Also you seem to be doing a lot of backtracking. Why return to Milan - just stay in Rome a couple of days longer to see things (cities can be very romantic too) and fly home from there.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will you enjoy the drives as much if it's raining?
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 05:51 PM

You need a good map to see that your itinerary makes no sense at all---not even in the movies. Forget Monaco and Rome---both too far. Spend your time closer to the Italian Riviera and I would include Lago Como if you want more romance.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello, travelers. Thanks again so much for your helpful input. Our honeymoon was epic, and exactly matched our planned "Two For the Road" adventure! Because it went so well, I thought I'd post a follow-up even though it's been almost a year since my original post

We split our honeymoon up into two parts; Maldives and Italy for a little over two weeks in Sept/Oct 2015, and then a week in March 2016 (a"six-month anniversary" trip). The overview is below. If anyone would like recommendations for specific hotels or properties, please post a reply and I'll provide.

Sept 19 2015: Married in NYC
Sept 20: NYC to Dubai (dinner and overnight to visit one of our favorite hotels)
Sept 22: Dubai to Male, prop plane to resort
Sept 22 - 26: Maldives resort stay
Sept 26: Male to Milan (Malpensa)
Sept 27: Attended FW show in Milan; La Spezia via Pisa
Sept 28: Morning and afternoon on racing yacht in La Spezia; evening in Monterosso al Mare
Sept 29: Morning and afternoon in CT; drove to Rome
Sept 30: Vatican tour, papal audience& marriage blessing, tour of Vatican, dinner at Stazione di Posta
Oct 1: lunch at Stazione (it's that good haha), drove to Amalfi coast
Oct 2 - Oct 4: stayed in beautiful Conca dei Marini
Oct 4: drove back to Milan
Oct 5: flight back to NYC

March 9: NYC to Santorini
March 10-13: stayed in Thira, visited all of island
March 14 - 16: Athens
March 17: flight back to NYC

As suggested, we didn't do the French Riviera this time and instead did the Amalfi Coast which was IMHO even more spectacular since neither my husband nor I had been to Positano/Praiano/concha dei marini. We fell in love with the area! The best parts of the trip IMHO were La Spezia and Conca Deion Marini. La Spezia is a gorgeous marine town with an impressive military history. The Amalfi beaches ARE rocky, as someone pointed out, but just wear swim shoes!!! The water is outstanding for swimming, and actually for snorkeling Too. We enjoyed the luxurious experience of our Maldives resort, and Santorini was breathtaking, but we don't plan to return to those islands anytime soon.