Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flea Markets in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flea-markets-in-paris-31182/)

Bryan Aug 25th, 1998 10:16 AM

Flea Markets in Paris?

Can anyone recommend any Flea Markets <BR>in Paris? How are the prices? Can you find <BR>wonderful old prints, books antiques etc? <BR>Are they worth going to, or avoid altogether? <BR>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks <BR>

jparis Aug 25th, 1998 11:24 AM

There is a huge flea market on the weekends at Clignacourt. You take the metro to that stop (it's the last stop on the line, but I forgot the line). You get out and follow the people. The first part of it is the "flea" part - clothes, junque, etc. Keep walking onward and you will come to great antique markets - not cheap, but beautiful things. I did not see old books, but then again, I wasn't looking We actually bought a beautful antique chandelier which we carried home on the plane with us!!!We had been shopping for one before we left, and although it was not cheap, it was much less than the prices we saw. It is a HUGE place - be prepared for a ton of walking.Good luck! <BR>

Bryan Aug 25th, 1998 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info, I look forward to <BR>trekking thru it. <BR> <BR>

francesca Aug 26th, 1998 03:04 AM

<BR>

francesca Aug 26th, 1998 03:10 AM

St Ouen, aka Clignancourt, is THE flea market. The above poster is right, you need to move through the junk, go under the overpass and turn left to get to the real thing. You can easily spend a whole day here, there are many different markets to see, all lined up next to eachother. A guidebook is helpful; you can find a good chapter about "Les Puces" in Born to Shop Paris (in any book store). Marche Paul Bert is my favorite of the St Ouen markets. Biron is nice too, but very upscale. If you want a less overwhelming experience, try the Puces des Vanves, metro Porte de Vanves in the south of Paris on Saturday morning. In any case, bargains are not that common in any "flea" market. For old prints and magazines, you may have a better selection along the quais in central Paris. Good luck and feel free to send mail if you have more detailed questions. <BR>

deborah Aug 26th, 1998 09:03 AM

What about flea markets in Provence. I've been to the ones on the outskirts of Paris and can't wait to go back. they shouldn't be missed!

Edith Aug 29th, 1998 02:34 PM

<BR>I agree 100% with the flea market at Clignancourt. I was overwhelmed and bought some great things. The prices are okay but I carried much weight home with me. The dealers said they would be able to ship but I would like someone to tell me what their experience was in shipping back to the states. I called two heavy marble side pieces of a clock in my knapsack. A few months later I housed a French guest with the exchange of him carrying back the clock part of the 3 part ensemble. That was the heaviest thing he ever carried on his back but then again he stayed with me for one month. It really was an even exchange as he was 16 and I had to spend much time in the music stores while he was here. There are things in the market tht you just cannot find here. The furniture is wonderful. Anyone that has had experience with shipping back please e-mail me. I will be back in Paris in November and just maybe I'll find myself over at the market again. Thanks

Donna Aug 29th, 1998 04:06 PM

Here are a few tips for going to the flea market: Wear the most "touristy" outfit you have and leave all of your jewelry and anything else which would make you appear to have good taste or big bucks off; get there early; negotiate like crazy (you'll be astonished at how far down they'll come sometimes); before going, practice NOT looking thrilled or delighted with a "find", but rather totally undecided based upon the price (the sort of expression your face would display when trying to decide between the filet mignon and a burger on the menu, even if you can easily afford it, when you're not famished, and the waitress is trying to rush you); take cash (you'll receive better prices with cash and many vendors do not accept credit cards); carry your cash in one of those under your clothing pouches; if it takes your breath away, you can stomach the price, and there's any chance of getting it home - buy it! - you'll never regret it and you'll treasure it always...

Martha Aug 29th, 1998 10:19 PM

Bryan-- In addition to St. Ouen-Clignancourt, which, as somebody said, is THE flea market, the stands along the Left Bank, right by the river near Notre Dame, have old prints and books, and are fun to check out. Martha

Teresa Aug 29th, 2002 09:22 AM

What are the flea markets not to miss in Provence? We're staying in Avignon and Aix en Provence...

Gretchen Aug 29th, 2002 10:07 AM

There is one in Villaneuve (?) across the river from Avignon. Isle sur la Sorgue on the week-ends. Arles on the first Wednesday of the month.

xxx Aug 29th, 2002 10:08 AM

Teresa, you may increase the likelihood of receiving helpful info if you start a new thread entitled "Flea Markets in Avignon and Aix?".