Flea/Antique Markets in Paris?

Sep 8th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Ross

Flea/Antique Markets in Paris?

I recall hearing about the wonderful flea markets in Paris at which you can buy great items at really reaonable prices (was it on this message board)? In any event, can anyone provide information on some good flea/antique markes in or around Paris that would be good to visit? I'll be there August 17th throught the 23rd. I also recall that there was one particular flea market in Paris considered to be the largest and most famous in the city. Any ideas?

Sep 8th, 1999, 12:55 PM
wes fowler

Ross,
I think the days of finding great items at any price, much less reasonable, are long gone. There are two major flea markets in Paris, the one at Porte de Clignancourt being the larger and more famous and one where you may find antiques, though not at a bargain. The other major market is at Porte de Vavnes which now specializes in old prints and furniture from a'50s and Art Deco periods. For antiquarian and second-hand books, look to the bouquinists that line the bank of the Seine opposite and to the west of Notre Dame.

Sep 8th, 1999, 12:59 PM
sabrina

Ross,
You're in luck. I've just returned and everything is fresh in my mind. The big flea market you're thinking of is the Marche' aux puces de Saint-Ouen. It is only available on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. You can get everything out there from leather jackets to shoes to ethnic jewelry and incense, etc. Some of it is pretty cheesy tourist fare but much of it is very nice. It is on Metro stop Porte de Clingancourt.

Another one that is smaller but still recommended by locals is Marche aux puces de Vanves. It is also only available on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. Metro stop: Porte de Vanves

Halle d'auteuil and Louvre des Antiquaires have multiple antique dealers under the same roof and are said to be pretty useful.

I hope this helps.

Sep 8th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Ross

Wes and Sabrina-

Thank you so much for your input. I can't wait to SHOP!

Ross

Sep 9th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Carol

Ross: I think you find the best and cheapest stuff in what they call Marches des brocantes (literally "junk" markets), and naturally, one who sells brocantes is called a brocanteur. They're much smaller that the flea markets described above and much more informal. There's one around Place St. Sulpice but I don't know the times. You might search the NY Times travel section archives, they had an article on brocanteurs in Paris within the last 2 years. (I just realized Ross has been there and back by now!) I'll leave the post for anyone who's interested.

Sep 9th, 1999, 01:35 PM
Ross

Carol:

THANK YOU for the information in your post. Actually, I haven't been yet -- just mis-typed the dates of my trip. I actually won't be going until AUGUST 17-23. Your information will come in very handy. Thanks again!

Sep 9th, 1999, 05:00 PM
Ross

Umm..er...I mean't OCTOBER 17-23. I must be going out of my mind.

Sep 10th, 1999, 04:20 AM
Tracy

Hey Ross --

Here's something I wrote about the Vanves market:
http://www.wfi.fr/metropole/1998/316/puces316.html

Get there early and stroll with breakfast pastry in hand . . . everything closes down by 12 noon.

HTH & have fun!

Sep 10th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Carol

Hi Ross--I just hit a bonanza for us! Go to www.paris-touristoffice.com/going out/events. There is a Search field on that page which has "second-hand market" on its menu. Bingo! Would you believe it's a calendar of scheduled "antiquites/brocantes" throughout Paris this year in different arrondissments. You'll find some scheduled during your vacation. Just don't spend too much!

Sep 10th, 1999, 08:38 AM
Carol

Ross--don't forget when you're reading the dates on the calendar, they're European style: day/month/year.

Sep 10th, 1999, 08:45 AM
Ross

Carol:

WOW! What a great find! Thanks!!

Sep 10th, 1999, 08:45 AM
Ross

Carol:

WOW! What a great find! Thanks!!