Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flatulence Forces Plane to Land (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flatulence-forces-plane-to-land-662756/)

degas Dec 6th, 2006 05:48 AM

Flatulence Forces Plane to Land

What was this woman thinking? I must have sat behind her once on a flight to London.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/...ne_passing_gas

L84SKY Dec 6th, 2006 06:12 AM

She's lucky they decided not to use her name but I suppose Ms. Fartypants had some explaining to do to her family. They probably weren't surprised.

wanderful Dec 6th, 2006 07:51 AM

While security is busy worrying about shampoos, medicines, and other liquids, they might also concern themselves about how something as incendiary as matches can get on-board an aircraft. This is one fart joke that’s not funny.

degas Dec 6th, 2006 07:51 AM

Yes, she must have been upset all this was "aired out" in public.

PalenqueBob Dec 6th, 2006 07:53 AM

Thank Allah the matches didn't ignite the flatulence!

waring Dec 6th, 2006 07:59 AM

"how something as incendiary as matches can get on-board an aircraft"

After the shoe bomb incident one would have thought that matches would be the first thing to be banned.

"Excuse me, the man next to me is trying to light his shoe with a Swan Vesta"

If that guy had had a zippo....Kaboom!

PatrickLondon Dec 6th, 2006 08:02 AM

I've never heard that about matches. I thought that was something tedious adolescents did. The usual thing in the UK is to apologise for the dog (famously the Queen is said to have apologised - for one of the horses - while in a carriage procession to welcome a visiting head of state, to which said head of state is supposed to have said "Oh don't apologise, Your Majesty. If you hadn't spoken, I'd have thought it was a horse"). Or we blame it on the mice. Or Tony Blair. In the air, one might say something about how much extra seasoning they put in the food....

bob_brown Dec 6th, 2006 03:19 PM

Shades of Beethoven, the St. Bernard who was conditioned to run from the room every time someone farted.

She should have gone outside to conduct her release.

MarkvonKramer Dec 6th, 2006 04:34 PM

How dumb can one be? Hasn't she heard that when in a group setting such as this, you point to a neighbor and loudly proclaim that "They did it".

Where have our manner gone?

MvK

NeoPatrick Dec 6th, 2006 04:38 PM

Shouldn't this thread be combined with the one about carrying cheese on a plane? Cutting the cheese -- carrying the cheese?

Michael Dec 6th, 2006 05:02 PM

But why was she not allowed to continue on the flight? Punishment? To teach everyone a lesson? Childishness responding to a stupid action.

degas Dec 6th, 2006 06:15 PM

"But why was she not allowed to continue on the flight?'

Obvious, she was full of it and stunk to high heavens. Cabbage will do you in every time.

LucieV Dec 6th, 2006 07:21 PM

They put her in a cell with the mom who got busted for breastfeeding on Delta.

Carta_Pisana Dec 6th, 2006 07:52 PM

on average, each person passes gas fourteen times a day (trans-Atlantic flights are not exempt)

for more interesting tid-bits about passing gas:
http://www.heptune.com/farts.html

Clifton Dec 6th, 2006 08:31 PM

I was reading the title of the thread and my first thought was, if anything, you'd think it would cause the plane to rise just a little.

I'd read the article earlier. She must be ready to crawl under a (well ventilated) rock after all this.

NeoPatrick Dec 7th, 2006 04:59 AM

Carta Pisana, thanks for providing what has to be the most informative link I've ever seen posted here! It's a real gas.

LJ Dec 7th, 2006 05:16 AM

Once upon a time, my DH and I took our (then) 6-year-old daughter on a little island hopper plane from Provodenciales to Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Well, something about the altitude set little Rooty-Tooty off and she kept it up all the way. We tried to rise above and ignore the gaseous emissions and hoped the three extremely well dressed gents in the seats ahead were equally willing to play oblivious.

When we arrived at our destination, we went to collect our luggage and two of the three spiffy men were already there picking up the bag of the even more glamourous third. This is what we overheard.

"Phwew-I thought I was going to pass out on that plane-I could hardly keep from laughing out loud!"

"Yeah, but what can you do when the King farts?"

We prudently kept our mouths shut, though my husband is tempted to work the anecdote into a toast at my now doctor-daughter's wedding. "The King did it" has become a catch-phrase in our household.

Jed Dec 7th, 2006 06:32 AM

If they can send a man to the moon, why can't they make a machine that sprays room deodorizer whenever farts reach a critical level on an airplane. ((*))

degas Dec 7th, 2006 06:42 AM

"why can't they make a machine that sprays room deodorizer whenever farts reach a critical level on an airplane?"

Boy, what an amazing idea. I'm speed dialing the US patent office right now!

crazy4Hawaii Dec 7th, 2006 08:05 AM

LJ -
I loved the story of "Rooty-Tooty" and the King! Thanks for sharing it.