Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flamenco Suggestions In Seville Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flamenco-suggestions-in-seville-please-759126/)

travel_buzzing Jan 2nd, 2009 05:30 AM

Flamenco Suggestions In Seville Please

Hi there I'm having a look for a good flamenco session in Seville (going mid-jan) and I would like some help or recommendations.
Has anyone been to any of the following:

Tablao Flamenco El Arenal
Casa de la Memoria de Al-Andalus
El Palacio Andaluz
Los Gallos
El Patio Sevillano
Las Brujas
Puerta de Triana
Soniquete
Lo Nuestro
La Carbonería
Casa Carmen

The only price i could find for a show was for el arenal so far. Is 32€ an average for what i can expect to pay? (that's without dinner).

Also, what's the difference between a tablao and a flamenco bar? I.e. do flamenco bars have live shows? Is this a cheaper option?

Thanks all

munich_madl Jan 2nd, 2009 05:42 AM

Altho we only went to Casa de la Memoria, I can highly recommend this. If you do a search on this site, you will see a lot of positive things said. The dancers and singers are students but you won't notice this. Each day there is a different program but since you don't know who they are, it doesn't matter. The standard is very high. The show lasts about an hour and that is really enough. There are two shows per evening and it is essential to book in advance altho maybe in Jan, there may not be so many people. We were there in Aug. You really feel that you are experiencing the real thing and not in some tourist spot. Also costs half the price of other places. We paid €14 each. The price of €32 is the price you would pay in the tourist spots.

indiancouple Jan 2nd, 2009 06:00 AM

We visited 3 of the flamencos on your list. The Casa de la Memoria is a good professional show, and the previous poster is right about the prices. Very enjoyable performance.

We greatly enjoyed the La Carboneria flamenco. The show is free. You just buy drinks and perch yourself anywhere (and the drinks are cheap too !). Great atmosphere, and great flamenco. Not to be missed.

The Lo Nuestro is a different but enjoyable experience. No professional flamenco dancers here. Just a formal band belting out flamenco songs, and the locals get up and do the flamenco dancing. Sort of like a flamenco disco. No entry fee; just pay for your drinks. Opens only at midnight or so.

Have not tried the others on your list, so cannot comment.

travel_buzzing Jan 2nd, 2009 06:12 AM

Casa de la Memoria looks good in pics, I would pay 14€ judging from your experience.
I will definitely call ahead about a reservation (it'll be a saturday night).

Also read good things about the carbonería, I think I'll try and squeeze both into the Saturday night!

amsdon Jan 2nd, 2009 06:25 AM

Tablaos are restaurants/bars with flamenco floorshows. They are usually considered expensive, but really how much is a floorshow anywhere?

There is a "cuadro" which is comprised of dancers, singers(cantaores) and guitarists. There will usually be one or two featured artists, highlighted in the second (or a special) show. They typically have two but sometimes three show times, the second or third being the better always. The shows are not always identical, as dancers will rotate solos. Many times the food in tablaos is not very good for the price. But there are some exceptions (Casa Patas in Madrid.)
Typically it is recommended to see the show & have a drink instead of dining. Many cater to tourists simply because of the cost however depiste what you may hear most flamenco artists have cut their teeth & performed in tablaos at some point in their career, so there is talent to be seen just depending on timing. One can look up programs and check out the artists sometimes on you tube. Flamenco aficionados go to tablaos sometimes if they know who is there or have the $$.

The Casa de La Memoria is more like a mini showcase I am told it does not serve alcohol. I have read very good reports from Fodorites and will see for myself in Oct. For the costs I belive it is worth a visit.

Flamenco bars are just that, bars that feature flamenco music, either taped or sometimes live, but without the structure of a show.
The nature of flamenco is such that spontaneous singing is something one would hope to hear, but sdoes not always happen. Since the cante (song) is the heart & soul of the artform chances are you will hear something live but these spontaneous things happen quite late at night. Dancers may become inspired & join in on occasion but really don't expect to see much of that in a flamenco bar..(you may also see flamenco enthusiasts or students from abroad as well who are clearly eager to spring up at any invitation)

Out of those you mentioned Patio Sevillano & Palacio Andaluz are considered the most "touristy" as they cater to larger tourist groups
and the shows include non flameco sometimes, for instance Spanish classical numbers on occasion.

Los Gallos & Arenal are long established tablaos. I would also head for La Carboneria and Casa Carmen as they have had good reports of late, and for sure some bars as Indian Couple reported Lo nuestro to be very fun.

I would also suggest you check out a peña. These are flamenco organizations that also present shows but for the sake of the artform rather than than as a business/bar. There are extensive lists on many websites

Under people & places
http://www.deflamenco.com/sitios/sit...5&sitio=16

Do some homework first it will add to your enjoyment if you learm a bit..gotta run to work.. !

DalaiLlama Jan 2nd, 2009 11:07 AM

Make sure you know that there is a difference between flamenco and the Seville variant called Sevillana. To the untrained eye and ear they look and sound similar, but they are not the same. Look up Sevillana, and decide which type of entertainment you want to attend.

baladeuse Jan 2nd, 2009 02:01 PM

bookmarking

nancy1652 Jan 2nd, 2009 05:29 PM

Another vote for Casa de la Memoria...we went twice, always different dancers. It was great.