Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Fjord cruise without doing Norway in a Nutshell

Fjord cruise without doing Norway in a Nutshell

Jan 15th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Original Poster
Fjord cruise without doing Norway in a Nutshell

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on fjord cruises from either Bergen or Oslo, in September? Ideally for a day, but could be from 2-3 days (some I've seen RT 8 days, find it a bit long).

I have a few issues with NIN, one being the length of the return trip (16 hours or so) and the other is traveling with my luggage on trains, boats and buses if we chose to move on to the next city. I would have at least a full sized suitcase, and it would stress me out lugging it around.

Looking at taking the train from Bergen to Oslo (or vice versa) which I see is around 8hrs... would get a chance to see the scenery then... also might just book a one way flight on SAS, less than $100 usually.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Jan 16th, 2015, 05:53 AM
There is a porter service for luggage between Oslo and Bergen: http://www.porterservice.no/
You could split the journey staying in Flåm for a night or one of the mountain hotels on the way.
There are express boats and other ferries:
The scenery between Oslo and Bergen is nice but nothing like as impressive as the Flåm rail and the ferry on the Nærøyfjord, both of which are part of the NiN.

Search this Thread