FIX THIS SORRENTO ITINERARY

Old Mar 13th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIX THIS SORRENTO ITINERARY

OK, You've seen it perhaps in other recent threads, so I apologize for the amount of redundancy, but here goes.

2 adults and their 2 older kids (22 and 16) will be in Italy in scorching hot and overcrowded August 2015. Our first stop is Sorrento, which sounds and looks fun, BUT we are very sketchy on how to organize the time there, trying to balance RELAXATION with GETTING TO DO/SEE THINGS!

Pompeii and Amalfi Coast are obvious must-dos, though we concede the prior is like a brief walk around Hades in August--so that is likely to be a relatively short visit. We know that Capri is stunning, but also hear the crowds there might be even more unbearable than anywhere we might venture from Sorrento?

In any event, here's the PROTOTYPE ITINERARY==Please fix it with your wisdom and insights. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

OOPs, forgot the POTENTIAL PLAN

SORRENTO
• MONDAY, AUG. 10—
o Arrive approximately 2 p.m. (via FCO and lengthy travel day)
o Hotel check in, try to establish bearings, check the local scene
o Bed early!

• TUESDAY, AUG. 11
o Early train to Pompeii, tour on own
o Late afternoon return to Sorrento
o Dinner in Sorrento

• WEDNESDAY, AUG. 12
o All DAY-Amalfi Coast- private tour splurge
o Return early evening Sorrento

• THURSDAY, AUG. 13
o CAPRI DAY?
• FRIDAY, AUG. 14
o DEPART FOR ROME (4 NIGHTS)
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:20 PM

It's possible that on your second day you that jet lag will make it very hard for you to get up early enough to arrive at the gates of Pompei before the heat kicks in. You really want to get an early start, and be there when it opens, so you can leave before noon if necessary. (By the way, if it simply too hot for you to enjoy some of these trips, I would just hang out and enjoy the vacation like the Italian would).

I would put Capri on the second day. Even if you need to force yourself out of bed, you can snooze on the boat ride over and take it easy when you are on the island.

Don't forget to be layabouts. Watch the other tourists frantically trying to "see it all." Instead, put your feet up, enjoy each others company and take walks at sunset. The views are pretty, so have a good time.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:21 PM

Monday - looks good but where is your hotel? 'Sorrento' - according to some hotels - can be in Vico Equense or Meta. Hopefully it's walking distance to Piazza Tasso.

Tuesday - Go to Pompeii late. It's open until 7.30pm (last entry at 6pm). That way you avoid heat and crowds. You could spend the morning at the Naples Archaeological Museum which is where most of Pompeii's artwork and finds from the site are located.

Wednesday - private tour? Don't waste money. Use the ferries from Sorrento.

Thursday - Go to Ischia instead. It's so much more beautiful and way, way less crowded than Capri. Or you could do both. Ischia has ferry connections with Capri.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:25 PM

1. There is usually a pack of private guides at the entrance to Pompeii. Try to hook up with other English speakers to share a guide to reduce costs. Our guide enhanced our enjoyment and understanding of Pompeii greatly.

2. In Sorrento, try Pizzeria di Franco (pizza obviously) and Davide (gelato).

3. Recommend early ferry departure for Capri both to avoid as many crowds as possible and to take advantage of the calm seas and weather.

4 It will be quite hot in August so be sure to hydrate (and I don't mean wine).

5. The Sorrento part of your trip seems quite workable and you will catch the highlights. If time permits, take a ferry ride to Positano for the views of this picturesque town.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree about changing your itinerary around. You will need all your energy for Pompeii. However I'm not sure about going late - IME it can be stinking hot even at 7pm that time of year. But if you go on the 2nd full day, you will be able to gauge what you think will be best for you - which might even mean not going. IT IS NOT COMPULSORY TO GO TO POMPEII.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Some of your responses beg the question if we should cut our visit from 4 nights to 3 and add a night to Rome on the back end?

I was thinking the historic significance of Pompeii makes it tough to bypass--even in Hades-like heat, but perhaps that's a day 2, NOT day 1 like you suggest.

I appreciate all the sentiments about saving money, but I fear just hopping on the ferry I will have ZERO clue where I'm going, what I'm doing, what I'm looking for, etc.

I guess I'm also interested in your thoughts about doing both Amalfi Coast (which parts) and the Capri trip. When and how to combine those?

As you can tell, I've got LOTS of homework to do
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM

We did something similar last summer in late June/early July, only we spent a week in the Sorrento area. It was very warm!

Sorrento is great, you and your family will enjoy it. I'm assuming your hotel has a pool, and you will want to enjoy that after your trip to Pompeii for sure. We actually took time off from touring and decided to relax at the beach two days, because it was very hot and we had been trekking around Pompeii one day and up to the top of Capri to see the ruins another day. We skipped the Amalfi coast for that reason.

You are wise to head to Pompeii early in the AM. My advice would be to read up on Pompeii before touring there. It's a big place and you won't want to miss anything!

Take boats whenever possible.

Your itinerary looks fine to me.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:59 PM

I totally agree about ditching the private tour and taking a ferry. Even in a car with AC, you will still be on the road, which will be slow and crowded with traffic.

It is super easy to take the ferry from Sorrento. It goes straight down the AC from Sorrento to Positano to Amalfi. You can look it up on line or during your evening walk the first night in Sorrento, amble down to the port and look at schedules. I think you can also buy tickets at shops in Sorrento. Believe me, it is a small area and easy to find your way around.

You will need to use the ferry anyway if you go to Capri.

Views from the water are absolutely beautiful. On the water will also be cooler. You can get off in Amalfi for awhile, and stop in Positano either on the way or on the return for awhile.

The good thing is, you do not have to actually make any of these decisions until you are there. Don't tie yourself to a tour, especially since you have more than one day and it is during high traffic time. If you do the AC by ferry one day, and decide to skip Capri, you can. There are some ferry "excursions" that make a couple of stops for swimming. You can check on that if you want to do it. It was fun watching, and lots of people and kids did it, but I am not a good enough swimmer.

I did Pompeii in July. It was hot, but a big hat (and loose clothes) and lots of water did the trick. It was fine, and a good day.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Ferry schedule Sorrento/Positano, Positano/Amalfi etc. is here

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/ser...rrivo=Positano

The above link shows two departures from Sorrento to Positano. The trip takes 50 minutes, costs between 10 and 17 euro each. It's spectacular and far nicer than sitting in a car in traffic, behind a giant tour bus belching fumes.

Use that link to find other ferry times. Positano to Amalfi. Amalfi to Capri, Capri back to Sorrento etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 04:06 PM

A couple of notes:

Make sure your hotel has a great pool area - you will definitely need it - and it is actually IN Sorrento

Do Pompeii first hing in the am and plan on gettin out by 1 pm if you don;t want heat stroke (plan carefully which parts of the site to see)

Bad the private driver - the road is packed and you will be doing about 10 mph the whole way - much better to do this by ferry (and the views are much better from the water)

If you want Capri also do this first thing - so you beat the tours and can head back to Sorrento to relax in later afternoon
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You could would have the private driver on your first full day, but not an early pick up. I think that would be more relaxing than heading off to Pompeii on the first day.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Whenever you visit a new place, the local tourist information office has all the information about ferry times, bus schedules, etc. Really a good resource in every European country and city. And your hotel can be a help too.

I don't know where you're from, but Italy gets hot but not as hot as lots of places in this world. Depends on what you're used to.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:09 PM

I would put Pompeii on Day 2. It is an easy train ride from Sorrento. I would go early in the morning. Bring your umbrellas. They make for wonderful instant shade. The more popular area is all stone and has very little shade. If you go toward the arena there are some trees and nice shade. Also remember the water in the fountains is drinkable. Make use of it.