Going for our second time to Europe. We are staying in vacation rental apartments, and the apartment owners would like us to call them on the day of arrival to pinpoint exact time to meet us. Other than that, we like to disconnect (meaning no phone calls home usually). We will have my Android smartphone, I'll put it in airplane mode like I did our first visit to Europe, and only use free wifi (included in most apartment rentals).
Last year, we only had to use the phone a couple of times, so once I used a public phone in the train station (ha! what a joke! Cost me $20 US and the other person could not hear me!). We also purchased a sim card in Venice and could not get it to complete a call to the airlines (operator stupidity?).
What are your best suggestions?
I could download Skype, but from my research it looks like you must have the premium plan for use in Europe and there's still a per minute fee.
Should I buy five sim cards? Keep in mind, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to figuring out how they work (and they all seem to be slightly different!)
All help appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Malaga
- 2 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 3 Which Area in London?
- 4 Milan airport--which one
- 5 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 10 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 11 1st time to Europe
- 12 Paris November 2017
- 13 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 14 Paris Apartment
- 15 Trains - website?
- 16 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 17 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 18 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 19 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 20 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 21 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 22 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 23 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 24 Getting around Lisbon
- 25 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT