Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Five hours at Copenhagen airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/five-hours-at-copenhagen-airport-548043/)

Karenackermann Jul 30th, 2005 05:07 PM

Five hours at Copenhagen airport

I have a five hour layover at the Copenhagen airport on my way to Finland. Is that enough time to do anything? I heard there was a great shopping area at the airport. Any stores in particular I should visit? Anything unique to Denmark? I have never visited this part of the world before but will be spending a week in Turku. Thanks!

hsv Jul 30th, 2005 10:07 PM

There are buses operated by SAS, I believe, that can take you to Tivoli/ Central Station, but from what I recall it took about 30 to 40 min in one direction.

I had a 6 hour layover and was able to do a short stroll down Stroeget (pedestrian area in downtown) that way. However, this was before 9/11 and thus increased security at airports, so five hours today may not be enough - others might have more recent experiences. I guess, I would make it dependant on whether your flight arrives on or ahead of time (not unusual flying in from the U.S. due to often advantageous jet stream constellations) and then verify the duration of the bus ride. If it is indeed 30 minutes, I would go for it.

For souvenirs to look for, take a look at Royal Copenhagen porcellain. In general, Danes have very good tastes and most products are simple but very stylish.

Viajero2 Jul 30th, 2005 11:23 PM

We had a three-hour layover in Copenhagen and were able to take a taxi ride to downtown Copenhagen, returned, cleared customs again and have coffee. Having already the boarding pass for the connecting flight saved us a lot of time. The ride was not cheap (about $60), but we were glad to explored this beautiful city, even if just for a little bit of time.

Frances Jul 31st, 2005 04:37 AM

My daughters caught this flight in June and in both directions the Copenhagen to Turku leg was overbooked so make sure you are checked in for it before you leave the airport and back in time not to get bumped. If on the other hand you can afford the delay , they were offering 200 euros cash to volunteers.

Boots Jul 31st, 2005 07:45 AM

There is a train station in the airport. The train will take you to the downtown Central Station in 10-15 minutes depending on stop/non-stop. I think it runs every 15 minutes. It is the cheapest and fastest way to get downtown.

Karenackermann Aug 2nd, 2005 05:18 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will wait to decide to leave the airport when I see if our connections are on time. It appears that there is only the one flight that day to Turku so I don't want to get bumped!
Does anyone know if there is a Lego store at the airport? My kids are very into Lego and I thought maybe I could pick up a set not available in the US.

helsinkiflyer Aug 2nd, 2005 07:04 AM

The train is the easiest, fastest and most realiable option you have. It goes straight from the airport and takes the mentioned 15 minutes or so. Cheap too(like 5$).

If the flight to Turku is full, no problems volunteering for te bump. Youīll take the next flight to HEL and a bus from there to Turku (2 hours). I suggest you go to downtown CPH. Itīs a nice walk from the railway station along the Stroget and back. Airport is nice too, but itīs an airport for godīs sake.