Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fiumicino Airport to Central Rome (P.za Vittorio Emanuelle II) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fiumicino-airport-to-central-rome-p-za-vittorio-emanuelle-ii-546729/)

higher Jul 25th, 2005 11:42 AM

Fiumicino Airport to Central Rome (P.za Vittorio Emanuelle II)

Hi!

I'll be arriving at Fiumicino Airport next Sunday and was wondering what are the fastest and the cheapest ways of getting to Piazza V. Emanuelle II.

I know I have two options:

I. Take the Fiumicino Express to Termini and then the Metro or the bus to the Piazza

II. Take FR1 train to Tuscolana Station and then walk to Ponte Lungo and take the Metro to Vittorio Emanuelle

My question is: How much time would both journeys take and how much hassle is involved in both of them (option I is probably the winner here) and what are the costs of both journeys?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

ira Jul 25th, 2005 12:50 PM

Hi H,

Train prices and schedules are at www.trenitalia.com

Distances are at www.mappy.com.

((I))

KT Jul 25th, 2005 01:38 PM

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is very close to the station (maybe 5 minutes' walk)--no need to take the Metro if you arrive at Termini.

tdyls Jul 25th, 2005 03:13 PM

Termini to Piazza VE2 is one stop by Metro or about 6 blocks. Once you factor in luggage and the time it takes to buy a Metro ticket and wait on the train, it takes about the same amount of time either way, about 10-15 minutes.

The question then becomes do you really want to schlep everything by hand, or pay the €5 to get a taxi? The neighborhood just south of Termini, while not some crime-infested slum, is not the best part of Rome, and with a boatload of luggage, will be an easy target for pickpockets (either when walking or by metro-ing).

ParadiseLost Jul 26th, 2005 12:21 AM

From the Airport Train's platform to the Metro or taxi queue in front of the station is 6 blocks.
But it is only 3 short blocks from that platform to the 'Piazza V.E. II'.
The Airport Train arrives a set of platforms (#26-29) which is *far* from the front of the station.
Directly in front of this set of platforms is a staircase, take it downstairs, walk straight 15m and exit right onto Via G. Giolatti.
Across the street is the closest cross-street (45deg to the left) Via Mamiani and down that street 3 blocks is the Piazza V.E. II. Regards, Walter p.s. At the Airport Train Station buy your tickets at the Newstand right next to the Trenitalia ticket windows to avoid the queue/line.
Go to the far end of the train, this will put you ahead of the herd when you arrive at Termini.
Sit on the leftside of the train, after you cross the Tiber River you will see some ruins (aqueduct, City Gates, Walls,and a pyramid :)).

higher Jul 26th, 2005 01:02 PM

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies!

I guess I'll take the train to Termini and walk from there (hoping to survive walking around Rome with a suitcase) ;)