Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fitzwilliam Hotel - Dublin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fitzwilliam-hotel-dublin-235637/)

andrew Jun 30th, 2002 11:45 AM

Fitzwilliam Hotel - Dublin

We will be staying at this hotel for 2 nights. Any recommendations for good reasonably priced food in this area. We are also interested in suggestions for pubs with Live Irish music. Thanks

andrew Jul 1st, 2002 07:45 AM

ttt

Corri Jul 2nd, 2002 03:12 AM

You will be situated in the perfect location--city centre, across the road from St. Stephen's Green Park and at the top of Grafton Street.<BR><BR>There are lots of restaurants nearby. I work in Dublin and have gone to Milano's on Dawson Street (a two minute walk from your hotel)--average priced food (Italian; pizzas/pastas). For something a little more upscale, go to La Stampa (also on Dawson Street) or One Pico--I think this one has moved to Molesworth Street. There is also a very good restaurant in your hotel (Peacock Alley, I think), but it's expensive, and there is a bar/restaurant in the lobby. I've been to both as my husband and I have stayed in the hotel twice. <BR><BR>For entertainment, go to the Temple Bar area of Dublin--also only a few minutes walk from your hotel. There is a range of pubs and restaurants in the area.<BR><BR>The concierge at the hotel can give you more info and make reservations for you. Enjoy your trip!

andrew Jul 2nd, 2002 06:48 AM

Thank you so much for the help and suggestions. Did you like the Fitzwilliam Hotel? I heard that they closed the Peacock Alley restaurant.

terry Jul 2nd, 2002 06:51 AM

The best pub in Dublin for live music is the Cobblestone in Smithfield. Take a taxi from your hotel - shouldn't cost much more than ?5 - their website is www.musiclee.ie - but they also have informal sessions in the bar. <BR><BR>AVOID Temple Bar at weekends because it is full of English Stag and Hen Parties who are the most obnoxious groups of people you could ever come across. Stick to the lively pubs in the George's Street area instead - try Hogan's, the Globe, CafeBarDeli or the Long Hall. <BR><BR>Recommended pubs would be Mulligan's in Poolbeg Street, Toner's, and Doheny & Nesbitts in Baggot Street, and The Long Hall in George's Street. Afternoon Tea in the Westbury Hotel and the Merrion Hotel (both v. close to the Fitzwilliam) is recommended. Try eating at Mao's (pacific fusion) off Grafton Street or Wagamama (Japanese) at Drury Street if you like oriental food. Il Baccaro in Meeting House Square in Temple Bar is a great Italian, as is the Steps of Rome in Clarendon St for pizza slices. CafeBarDeli on George's Street is also a good Italian. Nagina Tandoori across the road is a very good value Indian. Avoca on Suffolk St is good (if a bit expensive) for lunch. Nude, across the road also does excellent organic sandwiches, wraps and juices. <BR><BR>Check out the free listings paper Dublin Event Guide when you get here to see what's on. Hope this helps.

andrew Jul 2nd, 2002 07:31 AM

Thanks Terry! There are 8 of us traveling together so having such a variety of choice will be helpful.

IanG Jul 2nd, 2002 07:48 AM

I stayed at the Fitzwilliam for 2 nights in April. Peacock Alley closed just a week before (owner went bankrupt in both Dublin and London). The hotel property is not usually my kind of place. Appears to be hip and trendy and I prefer more traditional hotels. To my delight, the Fitzwilliam was marvelous. A standard room was clean, understated, well designed, plenty of space, excellent bathroom, dark drapes and windows that opened to the brisk air of a Dublin afternoon, one of the firmest, best matresses I have ever enjoyed, crisp linens, etc. Staff was wonderful. Great location (Dublin is very walkable---more so than most capital cities). The breakfast buffet was so extraordinary, it made the Savoy seem like a school cafeteria. I had afternoon tea at the Merrion and would stay there if I returned, but the Fitzwilliam is a smart, sure choice. Next door---excellent restaurant, Shanahans (I think). Great food and service, surrounded by hunky Irish guys giving me advice on what to do in Dublin, writing down all sorts of info.

wow Jul 2nd, 2002 07:52 AM

<BR><BR>my suggestion is book all restaurants in advance if you are such a big party as good restaurants are booked up way in advance in Dublin.<BR><BR> I travel to Dublin all the time and here are my favourite restaurant suggestions:<BR><BR>Bang Cafe - Merrion Court<BR>Eden - Meeting House Square (01 670 5372)<BR><BR>La Stampa- Dawson Street (01) 677 8611<BR><BR>Rolys - Ballsbridge (short cab ride from the hotel - superb food and atmosphere - my favourite Dublin Restaurant by far<BR><BR>Brownes - St Stephens green (*01) 638 3939<BR><BR>Nancy hands - Parkgate Street (01) 677 0149 - (pub of the year 1999)<BR><BR>Cafe en Seine - is a great place to have drinks in the afternoon and early evening - a great atmosphere - on Dawson street.<BR><BR>Fado - also on Dawson Street is great too!!<BR><BR><BR>So many restaurants - so little time <BR><BR>Good Luck!!<BR><BR>

andrew Jul 3rd, 2002 06:21 AM

Thanks again everyone... we leave on Saturday and I can't wait!

xxx Jul 3rd, 2002 06:27 AM

I live in Dublin and all the advice given so far is fairly spot on. The only things I would add are two pubs on Baggot Street that I would recommend you pop into for a pint - O'Donoghues and further up the street - Toners. Dohenny and Nesbitts has been recently "gentrified" although more sensitively than most. These two are still pretty much in their raw state!