Reload this Page >

FITNESS CENTERS/GYMS IN PARIS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:50 PM
Robin

We will be in Paris for two weeks in September 2002. Our hotel does not have a workout facility. We are staying in the 6th District - nearest metrostation: Saint Sulpice. At home, we work out on a treadmill, use free weights, and weight machines. It's important to us to continue our exercise program and any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:54 PM
HelpfulHarry

I just topped a thread for you Robin - it mentions a gym in the 6th

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:51 AM
andi

If you haven't already read it, pick up Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnick. Wonderful book about living in Paris, with a hilarious chapter on French gyms.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:25 AM
xxx

Simply have your hotel give you a referral when you arrive. We found the Gymnasse Clubs (there are several) when we were there, but they were about $25 a visit for a clean, but barebones facility. I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives your hotel could point out (our hotel in Florence had an arrangement with a nearby gym for free).

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:58 PM
Denyse

Paris gyms are a bit of an oxymoron, I'm afraid. You might try buying a small set of weights for your hotel room, and then doing what most French do, which is to walk. Otherwise, workouts will not be what you are used to Stateside.<BR><BR>But remember, you are on vacation!!!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:32 PM
Kimbeley

If your gym at home is a member of IHRSA (and MANY gyms are) you can qualify for a disounted rate at any other IHRSA gym worldwide. You'll need to show your membership card, and ask your gym if they have special "travel" membership cards (mine does, but I don't know how common that is). Then go to www.ihrsa.com to look up gym locations anywhere in the world. There are a bunch in Paris - depending on where you're staying, you can probably find one very nearby.<BR>Kimberley

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:38 PM
Kimberley

I just realized that the ihrsa website is a bit complicated, so if it helps: first click on "find a club" on the top rightof the page, when the new window opens, scroll down and on the left side you'll see "stay fit onthe road" and a link to "learn more". After you click that, you'll see a few links across the top, one of which is "find a club". When you click that, you'll see an area to enter address info of the club you want to find, but below that is a link to "Find a club outside of North America". Obvioulsy, you need to select that, and then just type in "Paris"...<BR>Sorry if anyone found these instructions primary and unnecessary...just trying to help out.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:15 AM
Bob Brown

There was, and perhaps still is, a gym on Boulevard Raspail near the intersection with Montparnasse.<BR>It is on the 14th Arr side (south -west quadrant of the intersection, if you will tilt the axis just a little because Raspail does not run due north-south.)The Vavin metro station is not too far, closer to the corner of Raspail and Montparnasse.<BR>And the Hotel Raspail Montparnasse is near, but across Blvd Raspail.<BR><BR>The Hotel d'Aiglon is just down the street. I know it was there because one of their representatives was buttonholing people on the street to come in for a free look. He instantly ascertained that we did not speak French, so he spoke enough English to convey the message. (Amazing how these French folks can speak English when they want something. I wish I could speak French that way!!)<BR><BR>I don't know if the gym is still there are not because it has been more than 12 months since I was there.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Robin

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my request thus far. Your kindness and efforts are greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Robin

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
francesca

I belong to a big chain gym, Gymnase Club, now owned by Club Med (www.gymnaseclub.fr). They will sell you one-day memberships for about 8 euro, if I recall correctly. They have many locations, including one one rue de Rennes not far from St Sulpice.