Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   fishing in scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fishing-in-scotland-204314/)

jennifer Apr 23rd, 2002 07:12 AM

fishing in scotland

Have any of you ever gone fresh-water fishing in Scotland? With a guide? Or stayed at a lodge/inn/hotel that specializes in this sort of thing? My husband and I are trying to put a trip together for next month(he's an avid fisherman, I am a beginner), and would love some advice. Thanks.

Dick Apr 23rd, 2002 07:33 AM

I have not fished in Scotland, but have traveled extensively to fish, from Alaska to Argentina and most places in-between. I strongly recommend you arrange for a guide, either through where you are staying or independently. Every fly fisherman, no matter how proficient, becomes a rookie as soon as he leaves his home water. More importantly, a guide will save you invaluable time by ensuring you have access to the water and are using the correct methods, which vary considerably from place to place. Remember that most water, and all good water, in Scotland will be private whether posted or not. Your guide will have made prior arrangements with the landowners, and that's part of what you're paying him for.<BR><BR>There is an extensive network of fly fisherman and outfitters/guides that you can access through www.flyshop.com. Go to the "International" bulletin board there and try posting your question - you should get lots of info from individuals who have personal knowledge of what you are trying to arrange. Note that one month is very short notice - I book most of my trips from 6 months to a year in advance. Not that it can't be done, but getting to the good water will require some hard work and a bit of luck, which I hope you will have.

Sheila Apr 23rd, 2002 08:43 AM

Jennifer,<BR><BR>I've answered this question a couple of times. I've topped a thread for you which has some information and I've sent stuff out in the past by email. If you'd like copies, let me know.

Sheila Apr 23rd, 2002 12:49 PM

Jennifer I loked out the last one I sorted for fishing:- They were looking for something in the Highlands, close to Inverness. They wanted to fish in both rivers and lochs on the fly and also rough fishing. They wanted to stay somewhere that catered to fishermen in June or July, for about 10 days<BR><BR>After some research I suggested that they should be on the Spey. My<BR> recommendation for the best hotel on the patch was the Craigellachie (http://www.craigellachie.com/act.htm)<BR><BR>My brother (who fishes)says it's probably the best river.<BR><BR>I did look out a lot of web links, which i can't now find:(. Let me know if you would like me to try to find them again. <BR><BR>Mortimers at 3 High Street Grantown is the main fishing shop in the area if you need to speak to a local for direct guidance.<BR><BR>The Craigellachie has access to a beat on the river (salmon and trout) and to two nearby hill lochs- brown trout and other course fishing. Single rooms were &pound;95/night when last I checked.<BR><BR>I also spoke to a friend of mine who lives nearby and is a fanatic fisherman. He thought that if they wanted to do a both types of fishing, since the lochs are not that great near Speyside they might want to spend a week on the Spey then go up to the area north of Inverness for a couple of days course fishing. <BR><BR>He also said that July would be better than June for salmon, that the best beats mostly let by the week, that it would be hard to get only two rods because most are for 4 or 5 and the cost is going to be about (are you sitting down?) about &pound;200/rod/day. Bidwells in Inverness are the principal agents. <BR><BR>Hope this helps.

jennifer Apr 24th, 2002 02:01 AM

Some great advice -- as expected from this forum -- thanks!

also Apr 24th, 2002 07:00 AM

also interested in this info