Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fish N Chips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fish-n-chips-406662/)

BRADLYWHIT Mar 4th, 2004 09:49 AM

Fish N Chips

Anyone know of a place that sells fish n chips in the paper wrapping to go in London. I think it used to be newspaper wrapping.

Thanks

mvor Mar 4th, 2004 09:57 AM

Our favourite is the Golden Hind described in the thread below.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34472149

You can search for additional information in the "search this forum" box in the upper left of this screen.

Enjoy!

Captb Mar 4th, 2004 10:03 AM

You might also want to look at two forums that specialize in eating/food: egullet.com - UK section
chowhounds.com - international section.

I have found both to be extremely helpful & knowledgeable.

Kate Mar 4th, 2004 11:21 AM

ALL fish and chip shops seel the food wrapped in paper - incidently, although the paper doesn't have newsprint on it anymore (health/food standards reasons), it IS still newspaper, just unprinted.

There's been endless discusions on this forum about the best places to get fish and chips - do a search. What you're looking for is a place that does take away's, not a restaurant (which never serve proper fish and chips anyway)

GSteed Mar 4th, 2004 11:28 AM

Sea Fresh! Wilton Road near Victoria Station. My wife and I saw many black taxis there one night. We asked a driver whar was happening. "Best fish and chips in London." was the reply. A family business. Fish is caught in the day, into port and then to London the next day. Spotless loos.

tipyoh Mar 4th, 2004 12:11 PM

There used to be a good one, which may still be there, at the bottom of Villiers St., almost under the tracks at the south end of Charing Cross station, but I cannot remember the name.

Gekko Mar 6th, 2004 08:42 PM

Another vote for the Golden Hind!

73 Marylebone Lane

4totravel Mar 7th, 2004 03:27 AM

I'll post a vote for Seashell on Lisson Grove - take away and sit down.

girlfriendred Mar 8th, 2004 09:00 AM

speaking of fish and chips - is Shakespear Pub good or not?

Keith Mar 8th, 2004 09:37 AM

girlfriendred, I had the fish & chips there two years ago and would do it again.

Keith

John Mar 8th, 2004 10:30 AM

Ate fish and chips at Shakespears last fall and it was excellent. Sausage and mash was also good.
Another pub in the neighborhood is St. George's behind Victoria station. Mostly locals with a scattering of tourist.

CJC123 Mar 8th, 2004 03:28 PM

We went to the Rock and Sole restaurant carry or eat in... little place that doesn't look like much but cooked to perfection!! Just got back two weeks ago... :-) hmmm if only I could get some now!

SFWoman Mar 8th, 2004 09:23 PM

Captb: I tried www.chowhounds.com and got lots of dogs (literally) and pet information.

GeoffHamer Mar 9th, 2004 12:58 AM

The 'Friar's Delight' in Theobalds Road (near Holborn tube station) is another one that can be identified by the row of black cabs outside. There are a few tables inside, or you can have a take-away.

mvor Mar 9th, 2004 03:43 AM

SFW, try chowhound.com

carolyn Mar 9th, 2004 07:07 AM

We ate at the Shakespeare a couple of years ago, and both the fish and the chips were soggy. Maybe it was an off night.

Captb Apr 15th, 2004 03:59 PM

SFWoman,
Apologize for the delay. Try:
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/intl/intl.html

At the homepage you can search i.e.:
London - Fish & chips

Many regulars i.e. Howler or Tony Finch offer some great options. They do seem to prefer the ethnic restaurants.

Good luck

very_dissapointed Jun 2nd, 2005 03:26 AM

Seashell

Staff friendliness: 0/10
Portion size:0/10
Yuminess of chips: 0/10

Overall: 0/30

DON'T do to Seashell! On being told that it had the best chips in London, I decided I had to try it. OK, I was a little awkwood because I asked to pay with card rather than cash, but there is no excuse for their rubbish customer service.

Half way through ordering my chips, the woman behind the counter said "wait there" sternly and walked off, returning with the machine to put your card in - I hadn't even finished saying what I wanted before she had set it all up. After the paying was over, she gave me the chips - shoving them accross the counter to me angrily - in a tiny polystyrene tray. I'd asked for a large portion, so I didn't understand - this was about half the size of an average small portion, so I thought she had made a mistake, but no, it was a large. I wonder if you get even get one whole chip if you order a small. I had 10 mins to walk back to the office before I could eat so I asked them to be wrapped. She glared at me and shoved them into a normal plastic bag. They didn't even have salt and vinegar on them.

Perhaps the chips would still taste good though? well, no. I ended up throwing most of them away because they were either made with 'bad potatoes' or were not cooked enough - they added new a new meaning to crunchy.

Urgh, never again.

I'm a big chip fan and don't know any others nearby, but I would rather deprive myself of chips than go there again.

Sorry for being ranty, but i thought you should know. Its bad enough they can get away with bad customer service/poor food, without them calling themselves the best chip shop in the world.

starrsville Jun 2nd, 2005 03:43 AM

Not only a bit ranty, but 1st ever post. FYI - only 1 post and that one is to complain is not weighted very high on this board.

I guess the morale of the story is - take cash to buy your F&C?

If you had cash with you, what would your rankings have been?

One last question - you work at an office within 10 minutes and don't know of any other places? Something doesn't seem right here.

Kate Jun 2nd, 2005 03:53 AM

starrsville, I don't think there's any need to discount this rant just because it's a first post - although the moniker doesn't bode well for the future...

On the credit cards issue, I'm amazed that they even HAD the facility to take cards. Fish and Chips is generally a cash venture!