Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fish dishes in Paris restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fish-dishes-in-paris-restaurants-440345/)

Travelnut Sep 26th, 2008 07:57 AM

Fish dishes in Paris restaurants

We'd like to try eating some fish dishes when in Paris. We want to avoid picking out small bones, so are there any particular types of fish or dish presentations that we should avoid ordering? Or any that are particularly suited to our preference?

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2008 09:06 AM

You just need to be sure that anything you order is a filet - as opposed to a whole fish (like a trout) or a steak (usually no bones but no guarantees).

TPaxe Sep 26th, 2008 10:23 AM

Order the fish, even with head and bones which is always more delicious.

The waiter will then filet it for you and you'll have the taste, but not the bones.

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2008 05:27 PM

I know some like the entire fish presented. Frankly - I can;t look at it - and want only a filet - or a steak - in my sight.

It all depends on what you're used to.

julia1 Sep 26th, 2008 09:19 PM

I had a salmon filet in the Marais one time that I still dream about. It was poached, then served over tiny green lentils with a cream and tarragon sauce. The fish was perfectly prepared. To die for!

kerouac Sep 26th, 2008 09:22 PM

Salmon filets are one of the most common dishes on a normal café or brasserie menu. There is also "darne de saumon" which is just slightly more complicated to eat -- you have to peel the skin off and there is a piece of backbone, but many people find this presentation tastier.

traveller1959 Sep 27th, 2008 04:31 AM

Search for "lotte" (monkfish, anglerfish). It has no bones at all - and is very tasty.

nini Sep 27th, 2008 04:45 AM

Look for Cod on the menu--usually listed as Morue. Very light fish and delicious.

ira Sep 27th, 2008 05:34 AM

Hi Tn,

Whatever fish you normally eat will be available.

((I))

avalon Sep 27th, 2008 05:36 AM

The correct word for fresh cod is cabillaud. Morue is salt cod ,though it is frequently used incorrectly for fresh.

nini Sep 27th, 2008 07:15 AM

I never saw cod listed as cabillaud ever on any menu in France. Always Morue.

kerouac Sep 27th, 2008 07:40 AM

Brindade de morue is a common menu item. It is a delicious dish of salt cod mixed with creamed potatoes.

I have never seen fresh cod called anything other than cabillaud, but there are perhaps some regionalisms.

StCirq Sep 27th, 2008 07:53 AM

I believe it's brandade de morue, not brindade, and yes, it's yummy (though sometimes salty, for obvious reasons).

I also have never seen anything except cabillaud to mean cod, anywhere in France.

longboatkey Sep 27th, 2008 08:47 AM

It is always better to order the whole fish and have the waiter filet it for you. Oddly, the U.S. culture favors filets over whole fish. In Europe and Asia, diners are suspicious of filets, as they assume it was an old fish that was too poor looking to present whole.

greg Sep 27th, 2008 09:08 AM

Here is a menu listing "cabillaud."

"Dos de cabillaud cuit meunière"

http://www.grand-vefour.com/fr/dejeuners.htm

djkbooks Sep 27th, 2008 11:29 AM

One of our favorite meals in Paris (one we try to repeat on each visit) is the grilled turbot for two with beurre blanc at La Grille. The whole fish after grilling (a sight to behold) is presented tableside, then deboned and plated by the waiter. Served with it is a wonderful "potato cake" with onions and lardons, and some boiled potatoes should you have any beurre blanc left over. In season, enormous grilled scallops are offered (magnificent).

Travelnut Sep 27th, 2008 12:17 PM

I appreciate all this input - I'm not around home right now, so not reading as often at the moment. If my husband cuts into a piece of fish and spies a bone, he's done with it. Maybe the 'fileting' presentation will be ok.

Keep 'em coming, if anyone has more 'fish tales'.

cafegoddess Sep 27th, 2008 12:31 PM

Speaking of cabillaud, the best place to get this fish is at Les Cocottes, a Christian Constant restaurant on rue St Dominique. I dream about this dish.

Have a great time!

kerouac Sep 27th, 2008 12:39 PM

If you rent an apartment, you can find the French version of fish sticks in the frozen food section.

Padraig Sep 27th, 2008 02:00 PM

Cheap, commonly available, boneless, and to my taste: aile de raie (ray wing; skate).