Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First week of September in Paris. Do I need air conditioning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Barry

Staying at Hotel Danube.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Wendy

Barry, <BR> <BR>We were in Paris last year at the end of August. All I can tell you is that is was BROILING HOT! We were told that they were having an unusual streak of hot weather, but it was nearly unbearable. While this was atypical for Paris ( usually temps hover in the seventies) we were certainly glad that our hotel had AC! I'd vote for getting a hotel that had it just in case. Have fun!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Joan

Barry, I thought the Hotel du Danube had some air conditioned rooms. At any rate it is a lovely hotel on rue Jacob. <BR>You might request a room in the back along the center courtyard as the ones in front get all the traffic noise. We will be in Paris also the first week of September and are staying in an un-airconditioned 3rd floor apartment so I too am praying for cool weather.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:16 PM
carol

Get a/c if you can--when Paris gets hot, it gets hot and muggy.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Barry

Joan, I emailed the hotel and they definitely dont have ac. Considering we'll not be in our room much, I'm leaning toward staying there and taking my chances. Didnt see any people complain in the messages on France.com (who stayed there last summer which was a hot one). I like the fact that they have an internet connection in the lobby for the guests.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:36 AM
sarah

I came back from Paris on Tuesday-the heat was unbearable at night without a/c. The whole of Europe seems to be having some really high temperatures this summer(I am in th UK) and personally if it was me I would play it safe and book with a/c.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Dave

I came back from Paris on thursday. After walking around the city all day it was nice to cool off in your room with AC. My vote is to splurge on AC. <BR>Dave

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:03 PM
StCirq

Barry: <BR> <BR>We were in Paris last Tuesday through Friday. The heat was intense. I purposely didn't book at the hotel I like that has A/C because usually in June we are using blankets at night to ward off the chill. This time, we stayed up until well past midnight every night and kept the hotel windows open wide to catch whatever breath of air there was around. In 32 days in France, we had one cool, rainy day - the rest were hot, hot, hot. I can't predict what the weather will be like in September, but I can tell you, if A/C is something you need to sleep well or to function well while traveling, book a hotel that has it. If this current weather pattern continues, it could well be searing still in September.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Book Chick

Hi Barry, <BR>Ah, Paris...reminds me of my hometown, as the weather is so incredibly variable, we often experience all 4 seasons in one day. <BR> <BR>When on a well-deserved and not-exactly-cheap vacation, I don't like to gamble. I would definitely opt FOR A/C in early September. <BR>Bonne Chance & Bon Voyage, <BR>BC

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Bob Brown

I vote for AC. Two reasons. <BR>The room is quieter because you can keep the windows closed. It is also more comfortable, even in September. <BR> <BR>Rain showers are frequent in Paris. Even if the temperatures are a little cooler because of the rain, you may have to shut your windows to keep the rain out. <BR>So without AC, the room gets very muggy. <BR> <BR>I might try it without AC in October, but not early to middle September.