Notices

First visit to Amsterdam

Apr 16th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

First visit to Amsterdam

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Amsterdam in June and I'd like to run my plans by the experts here. We have 3 nights to spend (the first night being the day we land) followed by 7 nights in Paris. Our main but not exclusive focus in both towns is art. We're staying at a b&b about two blocks from the Frank house.

Friday - arrive at airport around 8:30, Ann Frank tour booked for 13:30. Depending on energy level, visit van Gogh museum in the evening since it's supposed to be open late on Fridays and have some live music.

Saturday - visit the farmers' market in Jordaan in the morning. Historical walking tour 10:00-13:00. Rijksmuseum (and van Gogh museum if we were too pooped Friday night) in afternoon.

Sunday - visit the Hague (for Mauritshouse museum) and Delft.

Monday - AM train to Paris.

The Frank house and the walking tour are set in stone. The rest of the time I figure we'll spend biking, taking in a canal cruise, or some manner of lounging. I'm also looking into this "Dine with the Dutch" thing. Have you had experience or heard reviews for this?

Thanks for any feedback you have!
Apr 16th, 2015, 07:30 AM

IF you take the train into the city from the airport be aware that in order to buy tickets from the machines you need a chip and pin CC I believe. You can get them at the nearby ticket windows; have some Euro ready for all of that.

The train in is fast but keep a close eye on your luggage and do not place it anywhere near the doors since at the intermediate stop people have been known to reach in, grab bags, and hightail it.

Of course, you may be using a van/transfer service which is fine, too.
Apr 16th, 2015, 07:32 AM

I would go to both the Rijks and the Van Gogh as early in the day as possible. You can buy Rijks tickets on line in advance which can speed the entry process. It is a HUGE place in many ways and absolutely loaded with well-known works which can get "crowded" at times so be aware.
Apr 16th, 2015, 07:52 AM

bookmarking

Search this Thread