Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-tuscany-716584/)

christine2007 Jun 27th, 2007 04:57 PM

First trip to Tuscany

We are planning an anniversary trip. Would like to stay in a smaller town with a train station or some way to accomodate day trips. Looking for a villa or apartment with kitchen.
A market and good restaurants are important.
Would appreciate your suggestions on town and villa.

ira Jun 28th, 2007 05:32 AM

t

Grinisa Jun 28th, 2007 05:50 AM

Many Tuscan towns have train stations outside the city (Siena, Arezzo, Cortona). You could use a bus to get to the station if you are renting a town house or apartment. If you are renting a villa, you are probably going to need a car to get into town for shopping etc. Lucca might be an option as its station is just outside the walls.

bobthenavigator Jun 28th, 2007 06:34 AM

Trains are only good in Tuscany to cities like Siena and Lucca--not the small villages. You really need a car to see Tuscany.

jabez Jun 28th, 2007 09:35 AM

I agree with Bob. While I like Lucca more (just personal preference).Siena is closer to many of the places people want to see in Tuscany.

christine2007 Jun 28th, 2007 10:56 AM

What is your opinion of Montepulciano, montalcino or Chiusi?

Henry Jun 28th, 2007 12:45 PM

christine2007,
Chiusi is the only one with a train station. Montepulciano and Montalcino are great to visit by car. If you would like more information on the towns in southern Tuscany send me an e-mail.

Henry

Grinisa Jun 28th, 2007 01:05 PM

Montepulciano has a train station, about 9 km outside of town. It is a local train with service to places like Sinalunga and Siena.

bobthenavigator Jun 28th, 2007 02:16 PM

The S-146 corridor is great if you have a car---that is Chiusi, Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico. If you want to use public transport stay in Siena and use local busses.

christine2007 Jun 29th, 2007 08:25 AM

Thank you for all of your responses. You have convinced me I need a car...given that, which town would you recommend?

bobthenavigator Jun 29th, 2007 08:36 AM

Stay in a village.
Look at www.palazzodelcapitano.com
Or, Politain apts. in Montepulciano.

lyban Jun 29th, 2007 10:38 AM

bobthenavigator.
The hotel you posted near Sienna calle Palazzco del capilano looks really nice and reasonable. Have you stayed there yourself. I am thinking of the first week of October, what do you think weather wise I can expect. The gardens look so nice in photos. But October, I guess is pushing it.

Dayle Jun 29th, 2007 11:11 AM

Christine,

I stayed in Montalcino for 3 nights in Sept 05. Loved the town and the surroundings. If you are interested, search for my trip report called: Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy". Should give you some great ideas.

Buon viaggio!

bobthenavigator Jun 29th, 2007 11:19 AM

Yes, and have also sent at least a dozen clients there. To me it is the perfect location and we love the small village ambiance. October may be late for the gardens but there is also a horticulture park in the village.

ricerco Jun 30th, 2007 09:58 AM

We stayed at Palazzo del Capitano last November. It was very nice. San Quirico is lovely. Our only complaint was that while we were there they were going through major remodeling. That exact week we were there they were crashing down a tile roof top next to our rom. It wasn't pleasant at all. I was a little upset that they didn't warn us. I wouldn't have booked 4 days there just 2. When we addressed our concern, they just went on how wonderful the expansion will be and it will be very nice next year. Although 3 members of the staff speak English, comunication can be difficult. And I didn't know how to calmly express my frustation in my limited Italian. But the construction should be done by now. Just double check with them first. Other than the construction, it was a great place. try their restaurant too. In November their restaurant and one other one was the only one open). But you do get a real sense of the locals way of life. No tourists. And if you are there when they have market day, it's just a few steps outside the door.

San Quirico is an ideal place to stay at. It's sits between Montalicino and Montepulciano. On your way to Montepulciano, you can stop by Pienza. One of my favorite of the medieval towns. The staff at Palazzo del Capitano have a great recommendation for a restaurant in Pienza. Good and reasonable. La Luna something, I believe. From the back of the church you get the idealistic Tuscan rolling hills view. Amazing.