Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Paris: Stay at Jardin L'Odeon, Hotel Danemark, or Saint Paul?

Aug 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Hello all,

I am a longtime lurker who is finally posting a question. (And yes, I've done lots of searches already for the basics!)

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris the first week of October for our 5th anniversary for 8 days. Neither of us has been there before. We are in our 30s and from what I've read, the Latin Quarter area seems to be a good match for us as far as where to stay.

As this is fairly last minute, so many great hotels are already booked. Here's my list, descending by price. Would love your opinions.

1. Jardin de L'Odeon
Double Superior room for E1965 total
(no standards left)

2. Hotel Saint Paul
Double Standard room for E1638 total

3. Hotel Danemark
Double Standard room for E1056 total

Is the Jardin de L'Odeon worth paying double what it costs for the Danemark? I really prefer the Jardin based on the pictures, but the Danemark doesn't look bad considering it's half the cost.

The Hotel Saint Paul is in between pricewise as a third option.

Seems to me like the locations are similar -- right?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Aug 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Those hotels aren't what I would call "Latin Quarter"...

Danemark is closer to Montparnasse.
J. de l'Odeon is in St Germain-des-Pres.
St Paul (there's one in Marais, too) is also St Germain-des-Pres.

That's about all I can offer but at least this pushes you back to the 'top'.
Aug 27th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I've seen the outside of the Danemark as I often stay near there and like that neighborhood -- it seems very attractive. But it is definitely not the Latin Qtr nor St Germain, it's Montparnasse, as Travelnut says. So at least that may knock one off your list if you really want the other areas. That is about 335 euro difference for 8 days? That is a lot of money, but not if the hotels are really that different, which I couldn't say.
Aug 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM

I just looked at the websites to see the presentation, and don't see what you like so much about the Jardin de l'Odeon, but maybe I missed something. The website doesn't even show a photo of the room, does it? All I could see what a photo of a pillow (which would make me very skeptical).

Of course part of your rate differences are that you are quoting a superior room there and standard rooms at the others, so it isn't just the hotel but the room category you chose for the price difference. Here is another hotel to consider, a 3* hotel on the same street as the Jardin de l'Odeon, the Delavigne:

http://www.hoteldelavigneparis.com/

I doesn't have AC, but that's the advantage of going in October -- it doesn't matter. It is a whole lot cheaper than the Jardin de l'Odeon, and I think looks pretty decent. It is even cheaper than the Danemark.
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM

We stayed at the Saint Paul about 10 years ago with our 2 kids, and we had no complaints. I thought the location was very convenient and pleasant.
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, travelnut and Christina.

Hmm, I guess I've gotten off track a little in terms of definitions of neighborhoods. Ack, I hope I don't have to go back to the drawing board! I guess I was thinking that 6th arr. = Latin Quarter, which is obviously not the case.

Christina, thanks for the Delavigne recommendation. Looks gorgeous. They are available all but the last night of our stay...which happens to be our actual anniversary.

Christina, you said you stay in Montparnasse, right? Would you recommend the neighborhood for us?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Danemark. It's half the cost of Jardin de L'Odeon and I'm thinking I'd rather hang on to that $1000 or so, or at least use it for some really nice meals while we're there!

Any further comments much appreciated. Thanks again!
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot to add: the Jardin website is really minimal. You can see photos here: http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...freesearch|+US

And thanks for your 2 cents, QueenMab!
Aug 28th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Take the Danemark. I have not stayed there, it's above my price range, but I've been to Montparnasse many times and think it's lovely.
You'll have easy access to public transportation, there are good restaurants in the area (Il Barone, 5 Rue Leopold-robert and Chez Marcel, 7 rue Stanislas - this from friends who stayed in the area and loved them both), I find it so pleasant to walk around there. You could easily walk to the Jardins du Luxembourg but still be away from all the tourists. I say go for it.
Aug 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM

well, I like the neighborhood fine and I think you would, but can't say for sure. Some tourists think it is too far out and want to stay right near the Seine (even if you read posts on Fodors when folks ask about hotels in that area, some posters respond about how it is "so far out"). But if you want a lively area, it is certainly that, as a lot of folks like to go out at night in the Montparnasse area. And it's convenient for transportation.

HEre is another nice hotel right near the Danemark
http://www.hotel-sainte-beuve.fr/
Their internet rates around around 200 euro for a superior double, but that's less than the Jardon de l'Odeon.

I did notice that on the Jardin de l'Odeon webpage they listed the Pantheon and Grands Hommes hotels, which may be sister properties. Now those are worth looking at if you want the Latin Qtr, they are in a good area.

We had a recent thread of someone asking about the neighborhood not too far from Vavin -- across the bd on rue Odessa, and we discussed places to eat and the area on that. I can't find that right now as the search function doesn't work, but if I run across it, I'll try to post the URL. I remember it was by someone (I think named Mike) who didn't like techno music and was staying in a hotel on rue Odessa.
Aug 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I guess the OP has departed the board, but since I looked it up, though I might as well post the thread link here for future reference. THis is the recent post by Mike asking about the Montparnasse area

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=35047577