Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   first trip to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-london-720760/)

nifferrary Jul 14th, 2007 09:08 AM

first trip to London

My husband and I are planning our first trip to London. We are going to be there from October 20th to October 28th. I have several books recommending activities, but wanted advice from experienced travelers. Other than going to a soccer game, we don't have any specific plans. We both love to be outside and enjoy walking around cities to learn about the culture and people. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer.

crefloors Jul 14th, 2007 09:52 AM

What are you most interested in? One of my favorites is the Tower of London. I also really like the British Museum (Egyptian) and the Imperial War Museum. Enjoy strolling around Covent Garden and down Kings Road for shopping. Going to the theater is always very fun. Had afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason before the theater. We didn't have to worry about eating until after the show. So, I don't know what to say....there are a million and one things to see and do.

AisleSeat Jul 14th, 2007 09:56 AM

I think it is a good idea to take the hop-on hop-off bus tour of the city the first day you are there. It lets you do something that is sort of passive while you recover from jet lag and it gives you an overview of the city so you can solidify your plans for the rest of your trip. Also, you can hop off if something really catches your interest.

janisj Jul 14th, 2007 10:09 AM

What football game are you hoping to attend and do you have your tickets already?

As for what else to see/do - each of us will have a different list of "musts" to recommend. And all will be right. So, I'd suggest you start by clicking DESTINATIONS above and follow the links to London. Get a good overview of what can be seen over a short visit. Then tell us more what you enjoy - "walking around" just doesn't give us enough to work w/.

janisj Jul 14th, 2007 10:14 AM

oh - meant to add - you need to get w/ the lingo. Not soccer game, but football match, or fixture :)

Mimar Jul 14th, 2007 10:29 AM

London has wonderful parks. Everytime I leave, I kick myself for not spending more time in the parks. So if the weather allows, be sure to hit one or two parks -- since you like the out-of-doors. And next time go in the spring and discover the beautiful British countryside.

bobbomper Jul 14th, 2007 11:53 AM

Hi,

maybe this link will give you a few ideas.

http://www.travellingbazaar.com/london%201.html

London is a great city to just wander in.

Speakers Corner (Marble Arch)is a blast on Sunday morning..full of opinions and crazy people.

As Mirmar wrote, London is a very green city with some fantastic parks. The walk from Hyde Park Corner past the Serpentine to Kennsington Palace is nice.

Bob

nifferrary Jul 14th, 2007 12:32 PM

Thank you for the responses. As for our interests, normally when we go to a new city we spend a great deal of time walking around. We try to learn neighborhoods...I normally read a bit about the history and cultures of the area. We enjoy small, family-owned restaurants (not the large trendy places) and definitely brew pubs. We are big (good) beer fans and enjoy sampling small brewery beers...and London appears to offer multiple small breweries, which is exciting. We also enjoy hiking and parks, so I will definitely look into the different parks. As for the football match, we are going to the Tottenham Hotspur match...and yes, I do know the lingo...I typed football first, but didn't want anyone to confuse it with the US sport. I guess I should have realized those replying to a London post would understand. :) I will certainly look at the website also. Again, thank you for your responses. If anyone has suggestions of day trips that you feel shouldn't be missed, I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

nifferrary Jul 14th, 2007 12:34 PM

I also meant to add we are interested in museums and I am certain we will visit a few, but I would say our main interests are being outside, drinking beer, and eating good food.

Jimingso Jul 14th, 2007 12:43 PM

Highly recommend Cambridge and Windsor for day trips.

donk Jul 14th, 2007 12:45 PM

You should enjoy London as for beer try a Fuulers or Yougs pub both London Breweries and Fullers ESB is well worth trrying or Youngs Winter Warmer if its available on your visit. You should take in the Sceience museum and I also like the Imperial war museum. The London zoo is a good day out but ig you have a hire car stone henge is a must 1.30 hours frim london and you would wnjoy Dorset. The standard London trip must inclde Buckingham Palsve , House of Commons in westminster, Tower of London , Windsor Castle about an hour from central londont Tragalgar Square, Harrods shop selfridges in Oxford street. Hope you enjoy your trip

lilla Jul 14th, 2007 01:26 PM

You might also want to look into London Walks. They are inexpensive, interesting, and all you have to do is show up at the meeting point, so it isn't necessary to make decisions in advance.

ElendilPickle Jul 14th, 2007 01:54 PM

Look at http://www.fancyapint.com for a regularly updated list of pub reviews.

London Walks' site is http://walks.com . We didn't get to go on any when we were there, but they offer some great choices.

Lee Ann

nifferrary Jul 15th, 2007 03:26 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my question. The posters on Fodor's are very knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks!

insidethefall Jul 15th, 2007 04:45 PM

As for beer try Samuel Smith's old brewery bitter - There are several london pubs that offer sam smith's exclusively, and at one pound-seventy something (?)it's the best and cheapest pint in london.

saladsunshine Jul 15th, 2007 06:43 PM

I just posted a review of London earlier today. I recommend you look at the website for London Walks. We did some great walking tours with them.

audere_est_facere Jul 16th, 2007 03:27 AM

So you're coming to the Lane. Well done. Good choice - it's one of the teams with the best atmosphere. What game are you going to?

Do you want any tips about getting to and from the Lane, food, pubs etc? If so fire away (BTW what match are you going to)

Once you've been to Spurs you'll realise what my screen name means!

karens Jul 16th, 2007 03:54 AM

For museums, you have to see the British Museum and the Tower of London is very interesting. If you like art, the National Gallery and Wallace Collection are great.

We also really liked riding the London Eye.

AndreaD Jul 16th, 2007 02:21 PM

On Saturday, if you like antiquing, stroll down Portobello Road. Lots of interesting things and people. It's easily reached via the tube and there are some pubs nearby for lunch or tea.

libuse Jul 16th, 2007 02:35 PM

For beer, you might like the Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon Tube Station. It belongs to the St Peters Brewery from (I think?) Suffolk, and is just a lovely old pub. I've tended to find myself in there during the day cos of work, and its mostly full of legal/office bods, afraid i' not sure what its like at night. Anyway, here's a link

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london/default.htm