Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to Italy Tuscany stay and include Venice or no? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-italy-tuscany-stay-and-include-venice-or-no-382794/)

Sarah98 Dec 16th, 2003 12:59 PM

First trip to Italy Tuscany stay and include Venice or no?

Hello!

We're a married couple, age 29 and 34 and we are going to Italy for the first time.

A dilemma here...our orginial plan was to stay in the Tuscan hills as we have rented a villa in Tofori for a week this upcoming April. We just want to soak up the Tuscan countryside and enjoy the simple life, enjoy the food and wineries. We thought maybe we should add Venice for 2 days before we arrive in Tuscany. Is it worth it or not?

We plan to visit Cinque Terre; Monteticanti Terme; Collodi; Barga; Chianti; and perhaps a day trip to Florence via train.

Is it better to just focus on the central Italy and do Venice when we visit Northern Italy next time?
Thank you!

Patrick Dec 16th, 2003 01:13 PM

Wow, I for one can't figure out a situation when if you have the time that Venice wouldn't be "worth it". By all means go. It will add a nice extra mini-holiday to your week, totally different from your experience in Tuscany. And don't worry about next time. I assure you, you'll want to go back.

Myer Dec 16th, 2003 01:58 PM

Just my opinion.

In some ways I'm not a big fan of Venice. All of St Mark's reminds me of a shopping mall.

On the other hand, there is no place like Venice. You exit the train station and Venice is just a different feeling.

The first time we were there we walked over to the vaporreto stop and wondered why we weren't going anywhere. Then the vaporreto arrived and we found out why the covered pier hadn't left.

Whatever you do a daytrip is a waste of time.

You must stay overnight so that you can spend the evening in St Mark's square having a very expensive drink (or just standing) and listening to the music competition among the restaurants.

Nothing else like it.

Bob1 Dec 16th, 2003 02:50 PM

MYER in the above post is correct. Go to Venice.

The very first thing anyone will ask you when you return from Italy is "did you go to Venice?" There is a reason for this.

Venice is unique in all the world and everyone needs to see/experience it one time. One day trips will not do it. Venice is best at night after all the people have returned to the cruise ships and departed. You need to spend the night and wander the streets. Get the expensive drinks in St Marks and enjoy the area.

Also, do the gondola ride! That is the second question people will ask you when you tell them you went to Venice. It is a little expensive, but you cannot do it anywhere else. (Las Vegas fakerey does not count).

We love Tuscany, but you need a dose of Venice. Then you will have an opinion, good or bad, but at least you saw it.

Sarah98 Dec 16th, 2003 03:02 PM

Thank you for your responses, Patrick, Myer, and Bob1. I am sorry, I will clarify here...we would be spending 2 nights in Venice at the Pensionne Accademia before we arrive in Tofori.

I am wondering if it is worth the stop to visit in Venice...esp if 2 days is enough? We would be flying into Venice on late Thursday afternoon and departing to Tofori on Saturday afternoon. Hence, the time. It seems like everyone either LOVES or HATE Venice :)

Venice would not be a day trip...I meant Florence as a day trip from Tofori, where we would be based for the week :) But my concern is would that be too much?

Hope this is cleared up...and thank you!!! :)

HowardR Dec 16th, 2003 03:08 PM

Is two days enough? No. But that shouldn't stop you from going! No matter how long your stay there, it's never enough!

rex Dec 16th, 2003 03:27 PM

I would personally put two days/nights in Venice at the end of your trip.

Best wishes,

Rex

robbie64 Dec 16th, 2003 04:26 PM

Hi, We too are planning a trip in April and will be in Tuscany for a couple of days. , How did you find the Villa and how do you know it's quality?
Thanks,
Robbie

Patrick Dec 16th, 2003 06:32 PM

I'm not trying to pick a fight and everyone's entitled to his opinion. I know there are a few who really don't like Venice. But Myer, I'd love to know where you live. If St. Mark's reminds you of a shopping mall -- I want to visit the malls in your town!!

Statia Dec 17th, 2003 03:52 AM

I agree that if you have the opportunity to visit Venice, no matter how short or long of time, then by all means....go! It's such a magical and unique city. I certainly hope you don't skip it, Sarah.

Myer, we did the exact same thing with the vaporetto upon arriving Venice. Now I don't feel so stupid....:)

I also agree with Rex that Venice is a great way to wind down and relax at the end of your trip.

mamc Dec 17th, 2003 04:20 AM

I agree with the above - by all means, go to Venice. If possible, extend your stay to 3 nights. But if you can't, any time spent in Venice is worth the stop. As someone said, there is no place remotely like it.

ira Dec 17th, 2003 05:00 AM

Hi Sarah,

By all means go to Venice.

You will be able to unwind, get over your jet lag, and still have two lovely nights and a day there.

Dick Dec 17th, 2003 05:02 AM

We did the reverse. A week in Tuscany and then 3 nights in Venice.

If you are that close to Venice and don't go, you will "kick yourself" later.

hlphillips2 Dec 17th, 2003 06:11 AM

If you will have two full days as well in Venice, it's worth the trip. If you will arrive late the first day and leave early after your second night (leaving one full day) spend your time in Tuscany. We spent four full days and five nights in Venice for our honeymoon and LOVED it. That length of time was just about right to see everything at leisure (except the fish market - we were late risers) and not feel that we missed out. 48 hours is enough time to see a lot and really enjoy the city. It's an easier place to appreciate if you can spend the middle of the day exploring the back streets and unfamiliar areas rather than battling through crowds of day-trippers in St. Mark's Square.

ed Dec 17th, 2003 08:00 AM

Sarah

Venice is a fascinating city. I would say get as many days as you can and don't worry too much about it being enough or not.

Montacatini Termi is fun and be sure to take the Funicular up to Montacatini Alto. Touristy? Yes. But in a laid back sort of way. :-B

doodlebugg Dec 17th, 2003 09:16 AM

Hi Sarah! My husband and I are 29, 33 and we're planning a trip to Italy in April too! We still haven't decided on the specifics, we've only purchased plane tx into and out of Rome. We're trying to decide between Venice and the Cinque Terre, because I wanted to stay in Rome a few days, then drive through Umbria, Tuscany, and end either on the Riveria or Venice. I was leaning toward the Cinque Terre, but now that I've read all the responses you've gotten, I'm thinking Venice is the way to go. How did you decide where all you're going to visit? Any guides to recommend?
Arrivederci!

Sarah98 Dec 17th, 2003 10:10 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for all of your responses. We really appreciate it and we have decided to keep Venice on our internary! I don't know why I thought maybe it would be better to remove Venice from our itenary! Definitely plan on riding the gondola; getting lost around the areas; have a Bellini drink; and do people watching. As my husband says, it's such a romantic city and we can't miss it. Smile.

Robbie64, in regards to your inquiry about the villa rental in Lucca, we are staying at the IL Mulino villa which can hold up to 6 people perfectly. The website is www.tofori.com and I believe you will be pleased to see the website. I happen to know it's a wonderful place because my distant relatives own it. My 3 siblings went out there 3 times and loved their stay. They can't get enough of this charming home. Doris responds to email in a timely manner and is very helpful and personable. Wonderful so far. We can't wait to go there!

Doodlebugg--we are flying into Venice and flying out from Bolgona. We planned our trip around the villa and knew we really wanted to experience the Tuscan atmosphere. We got recommendations from our family and close friends of where to see and which resturants to dine and definitely do not miss Cinque Terre, according to them. Fodorites also has been very helpful and I have been doing research from them too. I want to see Rome too but next time! Not enough time this trip as we only have 10 days. If you want to correspond more, let me know.

Thanks again, all!

doodlebugg Dec 18th, 2003 08:34 AM

Sarah, I would love to correspond more. As you know, planning your trip can be overwhelming! Do you have an email addy where I can write you?

JandaO Dec 18th, 2003 09:32 AM

I would seriously worry about anyone that hates Venice.

I LOVE VENICE !!!!

Sarah98 Dec 18th, 2003 09:54 AM

Doodlebugg, my email address is [email protected] and yes, I totally can understand how you feel :) Would LOVE to hear from you!