Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Italy -Sorrento and Rome, need advice

Aug 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for any help/advice/suggestions for our first trip to Italy, November 2005.

We fly in and out of Rome. We arrive Nov 2 and depart Nov 12. One of the good/bad things about early planning is the number of times you can change your plans :

My current schedule is after our Wednesday, 8:30 am arrival to FCO- take the express train to Rome, the train either ES or IC to Naples and then train to Sorrento staying in Sorrento at Villa di Sorrento for 4 nights.

We will reverse the travel back to Rome on Sunday and stay in Rome until we leave on the 12th, giving us 6 nights in Rome.

I have considered staying in Rome the full ten days but as my husband does not enjoy large cities as much as I do and he is very interested in Pompeii this would seem a good compromise.

I know Sorrento is considered a bigger city on the Amalfi coast but it seems like a good base if we are not going to be there in beach weather.

For those of you familiar with Italy does this make sense for a first visit? You have already helped me so much, I do appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Deborah
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM

You will have a great time, regardless of where you go in Italy! Personally, I would spend more time in Rome than your husband prefers. There is so much to see and so little time to see it. For the 6 hours I was in Rome (while on a cruise), there were lots of strikes so the metro wasn't working (hard to get around to see things unless you pay more for a taxi), and the Colosseum was closed that day because of the strike. Others on our cruise missed the catacombs because they were closed when they were there. You may find strikes at places you really want to see and just need to reschedule for a day or two later. I loved Sorrento and did not get enough time there. I did not think it was worth more than a day as it seemed to be all shops in one general area.
I don't have advice from Rome to Pompeii. Pompeii was boring to me after 2 hours but my husband would have stayed there all day.
If you want more sightseeing items, I would stay longer in Rome. If you are looking to just stroll, shop, and admire the coast while having a great dinner, then stay on the Amalfi coast longer. Have a terrific trip!
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM

It seems like a good plan to me. I think 6 nights in Rome is just about right. And Sorrento is the best base for visiting the Amalfi Coast...in my opinion.

You might want to check with your airline to see if you could add a flight from Rome to Naples. Sometimes the extra flight doesn't cost any extra. It might save you a few hours.
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:40 AM

I'm a big fan of Sorrento. Having said that, I'd probably reconsider going there in November. It's well past the end of the season and the boat rides, etc will be long over.

On our first trip there we visited near the end of June. It was quite warm (hot) but great. Our second trip was early May and the season was just starting and the weather was iffy.

We stayed at that hotel twice. It's not luxury and quite small. The breakfast was very good and the location can't be beat as it's about 30 seconds from the main square. Within walking distance to the marina (down the stairs) and train (commuter) station.

Our last time there we had a very small room on the 4th floor. So small that my wife got bruises from bumping into the desk corner. I'd stay in that room again as it had a large patio over-looking the square.

At the right time of year Sorrento is great. The town itself is a surprise. Easy transportation to Capri and the Amalfi coast.

Great bus ride (views) to the Amalfi coast. However, only for those who can take a bus ride where the driver always has one foot on the gas, the other foot on the brakes and his hand on the horn.

And Ravello!!!!
I took the bus up to Ravello and after walking around for a couple of hours decided to walk all the way down and back to Amalfi. Took the boat back to Sorrento.
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Hi Deborah,

I think your plan sounds just great. Nov should be a nice time to visit Pompeii, not too hot or crowded. I visited in March and it was perfect.

6 days in Rome should be wonderful too. If you feel like it, you could easily add a day trip to Orvieto for a change of pace.

Buon viaggio!
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM
ira

Hi DA,

Sounds fine.

Can you fly into Naples and out of Rome?

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM
ira

PS see http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think this plan is a keeper.

Myer I understand your suggestions about it not being a great time to visit Sorrento but it seemed like a way to get out of a major city and do things that I know my husband would love. He gets kinds of cranky if I drag him too many places on any given day and from what I have read about the Amalfi area things just seem to move slower (it might be all that bus waiting )

I did happen on a good rate for the Villa di Sorrento, I don't mind small rooms, it adds to the character of a place.

thanks for the opinions. Deborah
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:26 AM

We have been to Sorrento in Nov and it was lovely. The ferry to Capri was running but not the boats to the other spots. The buses were running often and the road was practically empty. That is a big plus if you are driving that road yourself! Pompeii was nice in cool weather. I have also been in may (and it was pretty warm even then) and not the least bit crowded. Your plan sounds great to me and if you do Rome quickly, there are several day trips you can do on the train. Have fun!
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Ira, no to any other airport. I threw my "wait until some good airfares are offered" theory right out the window last week and booked Air Canada BWI to FCO thru Toronto, not ideal travel schedule but a good price.

Whatever the reason, I just don't think I will see any great prices for the route I wanted.

I don't think I could ever fly to Europe sitting in the center seats on the 767's or whatever they are and I was seeing less and less seats availabe where I would want to sit so I PANICKED.

Now I get to work on all the fun stuff of which I will have many questions. Thanks again, Deborah
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM

I'll offer more support for your timing in that we went to Sorrento over US Thanksgiving, so very late in November, and it was delightful. No crowds, mild weather, excellent!
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

buongiorno, that sounds like heaven to me Deborah
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Dear Deborah:

Your plan sounds great. Stick to it and don't start second guessing yourself. Use the next few months to line up any tours etc. and fine tune. Then just relax.

Have a nice trip. We expect a full report!!

MY
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Hi Deborah,

Pompeii will be great in November as it will be cooler. As your husband is interested in Pompeii I would consider going to the Museum in Naples also as all the originals are there.

Have a good trip
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Michelle, yes I think I am finally satisfied with my trip plans. It certainly is not the trip I thought I would be taking but one that will work for our first time to Italy. I'm not crazy about our season traveling but it was the best we could do.

cambe, the fact that you can encourage us to go to Pompeii after all the difficulties you had on your trip means it must be worth the effort. I know the museums in Naples would be a highlight for my husband.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. I am so looking forward to Italy. Deborah
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:00 AM

BTW, I forgot to mention that we also went to Pompeii on that trip. I recommend hiring a guide. You will usually see them hanging around near the ticket office and you then negotiate a price. I think we paid about €50. It was well worth it to have someone guide us through and tell us about all of the different aspects of it. We also bought one of those little books with the acetate overlays that shows how it looks now and before.
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Dear Deb:
Don't fret about November. Our first trip to Italy was in November. We farm so our trips usually have to wait for late fall/winter. Except for Venice, the weather on our trip was great. The only downside is it gets dark at 5 pm.
While planning, I was fretting about the possibility of bad weather. Now, I just tell myself that I can't control it so I don't worry about it. Bring umbrellas and do museums or hang out in cafes on rainy days.

You will love Italy. Have a good time!

MY