First trip to Italy questions

Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Italy questions

Hello all,

I have always appreciated the great advice I get from the Fodor's forums so I am hopeful that I can get some suggestions for our first trip to Italy.

Basic information about us: Good health, adventurous (but not adrenaline junkies), very interested in art, architecture, quiet nights, and good food. Total full days available: 12 (not counting arrival and departure dates). The budget is mid-range, about $200 per night hotel, leaving plenty left over for museums, etc. Travel in mid-October 2016.

Itinerary plans: Land in Rome, (5-6 days), train to Florence (3 days), rental car to drive through Tuscany back towards Rome, perhaps find a relaxing place to stay for a few days (suggestions)? Return car, stay one night in Rome before flying out.

I am hoping for recommendations for the following:

1. Is it worth the risk of bad weather to wait a few weeks and travel in November for cheaper prices? I don't want to save a few hundred only to be cold and rainy.

2. Flying from the east coast, I have many options such as Boston, NYC, Washington...any suggestions for the best airlines/flights? I definitely want premium economy.

3. Itinerary thoughts: We would like the restful part of the vacation to come at the end, hence the idea of a country villa in Tuscany. Does my Rome-Florence-Rome plan sound like the best idea? All suggestions welcome.

4. We want to maximize our time for as few stops (and unpacking) as possible, and are trying not to "stuff" the vacation with too many destinations but Rome and Florence are musts.

5. We prefer a VRBO type stay versus a hotel in both destinations, any recommendations are appreciated - in Rome, Camp di fiorni or Navano area.

Thanks for all and any help!
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:16 AM

1. Only you can decide that.

2. IMHO, there isn't a "best." The differences are minor. Pick the one that suits your schedule and budget.

3. Sounds OK. Have you looked into an open-jaw flight out of Florence, rather than returning to Rome?

4. Is there a question?

5. Sorry, don't have specific recs.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:24 AM
ira

Hi S,

>. Have you looked into an open-jaw flight out of Florence, rather than returning to Rome?
Ditto. Use the day to visit Tuscany.
You can also fly out of Pisa.

Sept-Oct is harvest time in Tuscany, not just wine but olive oil and porcini mushrooms, too. I wouldn't delay the visit.

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allt...me-in-tuscany/

Enjoy.

Old Jan 25th, 2016, 09:05 AM

We spent 4 days in Rome, and stayed near Piazza Navona last summer. The location was great, walking distance to most attractions, and not too far from public transport, but we didn't enjoy the apartment itself, so no recommendations to help with your planning. Sorry.

If you're looking for off-the beaten path destinations to visit in Rome, feel free to check out my trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

Enjoy your time in Italy!
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM

I would go in October because of the longer hours of daylight. The weather might be better also.

I love to stay at Fonte Bertusi, locatEd just outside of Pienza. The location could not be better for exploring and the property and surroundings are beautiful. The owners are wonderful. I've stayed there many times and will continue to return.

http://www.fontebertusi.it/en/fonte-bertusi-tuscany/
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 12:40 PM

1. November is usually colder and rainier than October.

2. Look at options out of Philadelphia too.

3. If you would like to have a restful end to your vacation, then stay somewhere in Tuscany that gives you easy access to a car rental drop-off + a train back to Rome. You need to pay attention to when car rental offices are open.

4. Italian spellings are Roma, Campo de'Fiori and piazza Navona. Check Airbnb as well as VRBO, also agencies like Rome Loft. Better to rent with someone who lets you book with a credit card rather than sendng money in advance by bank transfer as a deposit.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your replies.

@sandralist - do you have any specific recommendations for towns that meet #3?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Towns with car rental offices and train stations with easy train rides to Rome:

Orvieto
Chiusi
Florence (although it is better to drop the car off at the Florence airport office -- which is open 7 days per week continuously -- and take the airport shuttle or a taxi to the train station

There are also airports in Pisa and Florence.

I also suggest you check out Baltimore airport for possible flights to Italy.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No interest in Venice?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM

An off the wall suggestion: how about reading The Agony and the Ecstacy before you go. Maybe then things like The David, Sistine Chapel, San Pietro in Vincoli would have special meaning.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Score discounted train tickets Rome to Florence at www.trenitalia.com - but that is for a specific train on a specific date and cannot be changed nor refunded I do believe - or take the regional train that takes over twice as long but cost just a handful of euros and as it has a flat fare walk up tickets are dirt cheap - no reservations possible - hop any regional train anytime.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 04:45 PM

How exciting -- a first trip to Italy! You will love it!

To answer a few of your questions:

1. I have never traveled to Italy in October or November, but I have heard from friends the weather in October can be pretty beautiful and warm. My friend went swimming in the sea in October in Amalfi.

2. From personal experience, I can tell you that Air France's premium economy is a lot nicer than Alitalia's premium economy.

3. I would suggest, like Ira, to do an open jaw itinerary and add another destination instead of coming back to Rome. For example, fly into Naples and see the Amalfi Coast, then do Rome and Tuscany -- flying home from Florence. Or start in Rome, visit Tuscany, and fly home from Venice. You can get pretty creative with it!

Have fun planning!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:58 PM

I would always chose to fly non-stop if given the opportunity, and rather than back track to Rome, consider flying out of another city. For example from NYC, you can fly Delta to/from Rome, Milan, Venice, non-stop.

October will be better weather and more hours of daylight than November.

Perhaps fly to Rome, then take the train to Florence,, you won't want a car in the city and then rent a car and stay in a villa in the country and fly home from Florence.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM

You might consider going directly to Florence on arrival, and visiting Rome at the end of your trip. This would save one hotel change.

The hassle of an extra airport transit, especially after an overnight flight, in my opinion, more than outweighs any advantage of a more comfortable seat you might get by choosing an airline with better seating but no direct flights.

Lately there have been some real bargains on Alitalia business class into Milan from New York. Twice recently I've nabbed round trips under €1000, economy going to New York and business returning. This gives me a very long train ride from Milan to my home, but I use it to catch up on my sleep. Even in business class, you're lucky to sleep for five hours.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Awesome tips and ideas everyone, thank you!

@suze - sorry I have no interest in Venice.

@dina4 - thanks for the opinion on Air France. It is so hard to decide since opinions vary quite a bit on various airlines!

I have decided to stick with October.

My current thinking is fly to Rome, train to Florence, car and/or countryside stay for a few days and then fly home from Florence. I have not been able to find flights out of Florence that don't connect through Rome though, so I am stuck with a short hop there.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 12:19 PM

We did a Rome - Florence trip this spring with a stop in between in Spoleto and loved it. Have you considered Umbria instead of Tuscany?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 01:37 PM

@suze - sorry I have no interest in Venice.>

that's fine of course but why do you have no interest in what many say is the world's most beautiful and unique city? Again not judging your choice just curious as to why?

Cheers!
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 07:10 AM

Oh please, PalenQ. If you are trying not to sound like you are judging the OP, apologize and rephrase. The OP is most definitely not saying Venice is a travel destination without interest and does not deserved to be badgered with a straw-man rewrite. The OP was economically moving the conversation back to the original subject, which is THEIR trip. Saying "sorry -- I have no interest in Venice" in the context of this thread about an impending trip well along in the travel stages is avoid more thread drift.

There are plenty of places in the world that many people consider the most beautiful and unique city. (Half the people on the planet would probably say Jerusalem for starters.) The OP doens't have to explain why they are not interested in going to any of them this trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Oh sandra get off your low horse - I phrased it nicely enough and it is OK is someone has no interest in Venice - I was no pre-judging her choices but curious as to why she had no interest in Venice - was not presumptive at all and rather polite - I am still curious as to why - if it is because of some of the stereotypes folks have I may have commented more but believe me I was just curious and not like you seem to think.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Same reason I asked the question. Just wondering if the reason is a misconceived stereotype, like there are too many tourists there.

Of course the OP doesn't have to explain anything to anyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -