First Trip to Italy (Northern) need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually travel to the Caribbean, but would love to go to Italy possibly September 2006. My parents are from there, and I'd love to see the country.

We do not enjoy museums, art or lots of churches. We do enjoy picturesque scenery and that's what we are hoping for -- along with some fantastic meals.

We're considering the Lake Region and possibly Venice. We are thinking of just one week the first time. Is this too ambitious?

Also, any suggestions on hotels or restaurants. We like nice places but don't want to spend a fortune.

Also concerned about the safety with all the terrorism threats everywhere -- that's why I've been hesitant to travel there.

Any help/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance. Lois
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Lois, If you are going to pay the airfare you should stay longer. I would try to make it at least 10 days and see Florecne as well. Those 3 destinations make a very good first trip. Do not worry about terrorism--the most dangerous part of your trip is the drive to the airport at home.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi Lois,

If you are after scenery, and have only one week, I suggest you fly in/out of Naples and stay on the Amalfi Coast.

It is lovely through at least the 1st week in Oct.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:56 AM

I second Ira's suggestion. If, as you say, you are not interested in art, museums and churches, I see no reason for you to go to Florence. It is a small, congested city with nothing BUT art, museums and churches.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:59 AM
ira

Aw cmon, Eloise. What about gelato?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:05 AM

OK, Ira, I agree: There's excellent gelato in Florence. As there is in most of Italy. But I stand by my statement that if she is not interested in art, museums and churches, Lois would have little reason to go to Florence and would not enjoy it if she did.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:07 AM

I would recommend a week in the countryside of Tuscany and Umbria. You'll get no better picturesque scenery in all of Italy!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Venice is mostly about museums, art and churches too. I think you should go to the Lakes OR the Amalfi Coast.

But where in Italy are your parents from ? Do they want to visit their home area(s) ?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM

As an attractive contrast to your Caribbean vacations, I think that you're on the mark with the Lakes and the Italian Alps. From what you say in your post - "We do enjoy picturesque scenery" - I don't think that you'd want a city and the Amalfi coast, while being gorgeous, has Caribbean-like ingredients.

I say go with your first instinct - on the other hand, HowardR has a good idea with the landscape of Tuscany...
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:05 AM

I would think you could do a nice 10 days with 3 in Lake District, 3 in the Dolomite mountains and 3 in Venice, fly into Milan get a car and drive to Lakes (only an hour or 2 from the Milan airport) then to the mountains, leave the car in a smaller town outside Venice (suggestions anyone?) and train to Venice, fly out of Venice. The lake district is one of the most beautiful places I have been, the mountains would be quite different than the Carribean but still casual, and Venice is a wonderful city. Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM

The scenery in the Lakes region is so beautiful. I would stick to this area and then possibly see Venice and Florence. If you don't like museums I wouldn't spend too much time there. Spend the rest of your time in the countryside in Tuscany.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM

you have one week. Fly into Milan and train up to Varenna on lake Como. We stayed here adn loved it www.varenna.net
Then train through Milan to Venice for 3 days. Fun!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Opps ! Sorry that I misread your comment about NOT liking museums and art. In that case, the Lakes, Dolomites, and Venice is perfect.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

eroz:

I looked at the website you suggested --it looks like a gorgeous small hotel with charming hosts. Which type of room would be best to see the beauty of Lake Como? We want something romantic.

Are there restaurants in the area (besides the hotel) that would be good to try?

Is it easy to get to Bellagio from here?

Is it costly to take the train to Venice?

Tuscany sounds interesting too as does the Amalfi coast -- is that near Positano? Any suggestions as to where to stay in either of these places?

My parents (now deceased) were from outside of Rome and from Sortino, Sicily. I'd love to see Sicily also, but that's too much for a first trip.

Lois