Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Italy. Have a few questions.....

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my husband and I are planning a two week trip in Sept. 2012. It will be our 20th anniversary, so we want to splurge a bit, and we want it to be really romantic. When I first started researching, I was a bit overwhelmed, because it seems like there is so much to see and do! We have decided to focus on three areas, Venice, Tuscany, and Amalfi Coast. We will have to leave the bigger cities for another trip, and I'm sure many of you think it's crazy to not visit them on a first trip, but I'm trying to go with my gut, and go with what interests us. I can get the best airfare/shortest flight flying in to Venice and out of Rome. So here is my itinerary:

Fly in to Venice- Venice 3 nights
Travel to Greve In Chianti- 4 nights -rent car and explore
Travel to Positano- 3 nights
Travel to Capri-2 nights
Travel to Rome-1night and leave the next morning

Does this itinerary sound doable?
Also, do I need to plan my travel between spots via train in advance, or do you just show up at the train station and purchase tickets? We would like to rent a car while in Chianti, should we rent in Venice and drive there or should we take a train and then rent somewhere? Also, the last night in Rome, should we stay near the airport, or could we stay in Rome and soak up an afternoon and evening there, and would we be able to get transportation in the morning to make an 8:00am flight? I realize we won't be able to see hardly anything, but I hate to think of my last night by the airport. Any help for this Italy newbie would really be appreciated!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you plan to return your car in Tuscany?
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM

I would rent the car as you leave Venice and keep it through Positano, assuming you can get a hotel in Postano with parking (parking on the street is incredibly difficult in high season). Touring the coast and Pompeii (assume you will want to visit) will be easier with car - since the bus along the coast is slow, can be incredible crowded (not able to get on and have to wait for the next) - while with a car you can take roads back over the hill and avoid the worst of the traffic. For traveling along the coast I reco using the ferry.

Flying out of Rome at 8 in the am will mean getting to the airport at around 5:30 am - I would stay in Rome and organize a car service to get there on time,
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM

I agree with above except I would drop the car in Sorrento.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM

Our hotel in Positano offered parking, the Marincanto...but I have to say it's a pretty scary drive getting into Positano (if you can keep your eyes on the road because the views are breathtaking).
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM

You could possibly make Capri a day trip and add those nights in any combo to other places.

Congrats on 20th!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:40 PM

Daughter and husband celebrated their 20th on the Amalfi coast here:

www.hotelsantacaterina.it

They said it was incredibly beautiful and romantic.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We were planning on just having a car when exploring Tuscany, and using trains otherwise, but maybe we could drive down to Positano? We will have to think about that, we live on an a small island in the Caribbean, and we don't have experience driving in other countries. If we take trains, do we need to reserve in advance?

We thought about making Capri a day trip, but I keep reading how nice it is when the day trippers leave. Hotels I have it narrowed down to:

Venice- Locanda Orseolo
Chianti-Villa Bordoni
Positano-Le Sirenuse
Capri- la Minerva
Rome- undecided

Anyone have experiences with any of these? Suggestion for the one night in Rome? Thanks so much for help, and other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 05:13 PM

Don't forget to get your I.D.P. (Intl. Driver Permit)
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks deedeedee, I'll remember that!