Reload this Page >

First Trip to Italy...Can you help us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Tina

Hello,<BR><BR>My family and I are planning a trip to Italy/Switzerland for May 2003. I am a big planner so I thought I would start now. We will probably have about 6 or 7 nights to spend in Italy. Can you suggest two places to visit, as I will be travelling with a 7 year-old and would like to limit travelling everyday. We love spectacular scenery, water, cliffs, monuments, etc. Any suggestions would be very helpful! (p.s.--I was guessing that Rome would be a must see place!)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:09 AM
nancy

Dear Tina,<BR><BR>My husband and I just did this same trip this past June.<BR><BR>My advice would be to pick one country or the other - the good people on this forum convinced us not to go to Switzerland in May because it's "off" season and could be muddy and things are closed for repairs, etc.<BR><BR>If you do both countries, stay in Northern Italy and save Rome for another time.<BR><BR>It took us 8 hours to get from the Italian Riviera to the Berner Oberland of Switzerland - and it was a most exhausting and train mishap kind of day.<BR><BR>By the time we got to Switzerland, we were all walked out from Italy.<BR><BR>Both are fabulous countries (Swiss food very expensive!) and I again recommend to just choose one or the other.<BR><BR>Good luck - and it is not too early to start planning.<BR><BR>Nancy

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:16 AM
zootsi

There is so much to see in Italy. If you want spectacular scenery and water, the Cinque terre area would be a good choice. My wife and I stayed in Levanto last April, and did the 5 town hike along the cliffs - very spectacular indeed. The Mediteranean was still a little to cool for swimming, but you could still cool your feet after the hike! Your 7 year old would love the adventure of hiking on the footpaths high above the sea, it sounds treacherous, but it's actually quite safe. How about a few nights in Tuscany at a farm, a day or two in Florence or Sienna, and a few days in Cinque Terra. Rome is wonderful but intense, and for your length of stay, and with a child it may be too much.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:21 AM
elaine

Tina<BR>Since you are going to Switzerland you might want to stick to northern Italy.<BR>Even a 7-year-old can tell how special Venice is, and there are all those<BR>(necessary) boat rides to take. Venice doesn't have much in the way of monuments, but gorgeous churches including the Basilica, the Doge's Palace, and the unique combination of deterioration and beauty make it one of my favorite places. Oh, and your child will enjoy feeding the pigeons on St Mark's Square.<BR><BR>You might also want to visit one or two of the large lakes which are closer to Milan; I think the scenery could be said to be spectacular.<BR><BR>I have a file on Venice and one on Rome; if you'd like to see them, email me.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Tina, Stay north with so little time.<BR>I would fly into Zurich and out of Venice--do your Swiss thing first and then hit the Lakes and Venice in Italy.<BR>I would include the Berner Oberland, Luzern and Lugano in your Swiss itinerary. I assume you have 2 weeks total. That all makes an easy contigious itinerary by train. Save Rome and Tuscany for next year.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Tina

Is it possible to rely entirely on public trains, buses, and my two feet to get around Italy? Thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Sarah

I have done it Tina but on youth rail pass years ago. Well actually I also went from Milan to Como two years ago and it was easy. Cabs inside Milan were as easy as Manhattan cabs. Only thing is one driver told me it is not so safe to hail outside of your hotel said you can not trust all drivers.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:11 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Tina, On that itinerary, yes. The trains in CH are very efficient.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:34 AM
saverio

look at www.bagnidibormio.it

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Grasshopper

What I would do if I were you is fly to Milan, spend a couple days in Venice, then take a train to Stresa (Lago Maggiore). Then you can take a hydrofoil to Locarno and you'll be in the Ticino (Italian) region of Switzerland. There you will find the best of both countries; Great food, enthusiastic wonderfully warm people, Italian castles (Bellinzona), fantastic scenery (take a ride on the Centovalli Train), and Swiss efficiency. <BR><BR>The more you travel by train the more painless you will find travel with a 7 year old. They aren't so confined and you will have a great time. Mix it up with boats and trains and walking.