first trip to Italy 2 weeks in September

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first trip to Italy 2 weeks in September

Hello! Honeymooning for 13 to 14 days in Italy beginning of September (more like 18 or so but those are our full no travel days)...Amalfi and Rome are priorities. I would like to sample Tuscany and wish there was time for Venice. I hear it is not worth the time the others are and need one day for main sights. I know some will disagree. We are in 20 and active vacationers. Our interests are water/beach, history, food and wine, scenery, nature etc. Here is our loose itinerary so far.
Day 1 arrive Naples...ferry or bus to Amalfi
Day 2 Amalfi....relax!
Day 3 Amalfi ( Ravello and Positano)
Day 4 Amalfi..day trip to Capri
Day 5 Amalfi ...relax day
Day 6 travel to Rome but stop in Pompeii
Day 7 Rome
Day 8 Rome
Day 9 Rome
Day 10 Rome
Day 11 Rome
Day 12 travel to Florence. Stop in Orvieto on way
Day 13 Florence
DAY 14 Florence...day trip to Siena or Chianti
Day 15 train to Venice
Day 16 Venice
Day 17 fly home.

Should I skip Venice and put day elsewhere? I wish I could spend all my days in one spot but this is like a sample of Italy. Not sure when we will make it back so that is why I am squeezing Venice in there. Does this seem like right amount of time in each place?
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM

If you want to see Venice, I would take one day from Rome and add to Venice. If you choose not to do Venice, I would add more time to Florence. Be forewarned that most international flights from Venice depart VERY early AM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:13 PM

You will get all kinds of responses. Everyone has had different experiences and favorites. Venice is unique and quite incredible. Amalfi, to us, is not at all unique - there are many beautiful seaside hill towns in Italy and elsewhere. Amalfi and Venice are both perfect for a honeymoon so you have to make choices. If it were my choice, and it is not, I would take a day from Amalfi and one from Rome and add them to Florence and Venice.

Although Capri is one of my favorite destinations, I would not bother to go for a day trip. You will be surrounded by tourists from cruise ships and will not be able to full appreciate its beauty. We stayed for 3 nights and evenings and mornings were beautiful but during mid day we escaped to walking trails near Anacapri to get away from the hoards.

Congratulations and happy planning. No matter what you decide, you will love Italy.
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM

Day 6 will be a challenge---do you know your specifics. The train from Salerno will not stop at Pompeii Scavi and you will have luggage.

Also, Orvieto is not on the main line to Florence. Do you have a plan?

Spend one more night in Venice.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

We will have extremely light luggage. After checking all kinds of flights I believe we want to fly into Naples and out of Rome. This means about 6 or 7 days in Amalfi and 8 or so in Rome. Will have to do Tuscany another time. Thank you!