Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to Ireland with my mom - suggestions on peaceful locations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-ireland-with-my-mom-suggestions-on-peaceful-locations-730367/)

pittpurple Aug 20th, 2007 08:00 AM

First trip to Ireland with my mom - suggestions on peaceful locations?

Hi all,

In the very preliminary stages of planning a trip to Ireland with my mom for June/July 2008. We were originally planning on going to Italy, but as she lives in Texas she just couldn't face the heat! I'm living in Scotland right now but haven't been to Ireland at all.

Our theoretical plan is for my husband and I to fly to Dublin to meet her, rent a car, and do some tourist things with my husband for 2/3 days (castles, gardens, etc.). Then my mother and I would love to find a peaceful village on the beach somewhere where we can just hang out and do nothing for another few days. Somewhere we wouldn't need a car, as neither of us are too confident driving on the other side of the road.

Any ideas on where to start? My problem with looking around online is I can find all the popular locations but I'm really looking for somewhere quiet and relaxing... and affordable would be good as well!

Thanks in advance... PittPurple

IrishEyes Aug 20th, 2007 12:50 PM

There are a plethora of places that would fit your description. Your problem is traveling to your fantasy spot and back via public transportation. Many of the little towns like you describe would take most of a day to reach and another day to return to Dublin from. For that reason alone you should be looking at locations close to Dublin or accessible by train.

There are some great beaches in Co. Wexford at Courtown and Rosslare, although Rosslare is a big ferry port. If you choose the right spot you can avoid seeing the ferry. South of Waterford Dunmore East might fit the bill.

The first destination that popped into my head was Achill Island but that is much too far to go for just two days - and by public transportation on top of it.

chatham Aug 20th, 2007 01:27 PM

One year I looked into staying at Kelly's on Rosslare Beach, I believe it is close to the ferryport but not connected. I know the train runs from Dublin to Wexford town and I believe the train goes on to the beach and ferryport. I just googled Kelly's Rosslare Beach and it came right up. www.kellys.ie/

chatham Aug 20th, 2007 01:37 PM

Wow, the magic blue letters came up without me doing anything.

pittpurple, it does look pretty doesn't it? Someone who has been there will have to tell us if the water does look that blue.

Happy Planning, Joan

pittpurple Aug 21st, 2007 04:01 AM

Thanks for the starting point - would definately appreciate any and all recommendations!

The idea is that my husband would drop us off somewhere before going back to Dublin, so we would only have to go one way on public transport.

teacher33 Aug 21st, 2007 07:47 AM

I lived in Greystones for several years and have been back to visit lots of times.

Greystones is in County Wicklow and is a smallish town on the sea. Nice harbor with lots of small boats, nice beach for walking. It is at the end of the DART line so there are frequent trains into Dublin should you wish to go for a day or even just an afternoon. Also frequent bus service.

Just over the hill is Bray, a larger town with a promenade along the beach and also frequent bus and train service to Dublin.

From Bray or Greystones you can catch a bus to the town of Enniskerry and visit the Powerscourt estate. The picture of its gardens are on many calendars and candy boxes. Could be done in half a day. Bus#185 from Bray takes you into Enniskerry. At the town clock, take the left fork and it is less than a quarter mile walk.

Trains from Bray and Greystones also stop along the way in towns such as DunLaoghaire (pronounced dun leery--sort of), Killiney with a wonderful beach and lots of great walks, Dalkey, Sandymount, etc.

Perhaps Howth, also on the DART from Dublin is a pleasant spot. I don't remember about its beach, but nice walks around and great sea views and easy ride into Dublin.

North of Dublin are towns such as Malahide and Skerries.

You could google any of these towns and get an idea. there are also Ireland experts who will probably tune in shortly.

The beaches at Rosslare and other places in Co. Wexford are lovely, but a bit far from Dublin airport, in my opinion only.

chatham Aug 21st, 2007 10:27 AM

teacher33,

I wanted to stay in Greystones as it does look lovely but could not find recommendations for places to stay. Do you know of any to recommend to pittpurple? I love the east coast of Ireland. I stayed 3 weeks from Wicklow up through Louth. I always wish I had more time. I'm a slow traveller.

Joan

teacher33 Aug 21st, 2007 12:44 PM

Chatham,

I usually stay with my friends who run a B&B in Greystones.

Glandore
St. Vincent Road,Burnaby Estate
Greystones, Co. Wicklow
Republic of Ireland

Tel. 353 1 287 4364

Malcolm and Penny Hall are the delightful owners of this B&B.

They are Bod Failte approved and have the shamrock sign out. They are also listed in the Town and Country Homes guide (available at tourist offices).

Places to eat in Greystones:

The Hungry Monk--delicious dinners at reasonable prices

Poppies--only open until 6pm serving lunch or early supper. Shepherds pie, lasagna, sandwiches, soup, desserts all baked on the premises.

Harborview(maybe Harborside) down by the harbor, wherever you stay can tell you about it.

chatham Aug 21st, 2007 01:53 PM

Thanks, teacher, I'll save the name of the B&B if I get a chance to get back. I've heard good things about Hungrey Monk and Poppies. I think Greystones would be a great place to base because of the easy transportation and it is so pretty.

Joan

pittpurple Sep 4th, 2007 05:59 AM

Thanks so much for the information teacher - this looks perfect! I've sent your response to my mom and I think this is the right direction for us to go in, thanks a lot for your help.