Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-ireland-676736/)

RosieR Feb 4th, 2007 04:56 PM

First trip to Ireland

HELP!Family of 5 travelling for 9 days from Dublin to south west. Cant find accommodation in Cork any suggestions?B&Bs fine or hostels ok.
What is the Dublin International Hostel like for a family? Can you leave your luggage safely there? Thanks.

Shandy1977 Feb 4th, 2007 07:27 PM

When are you going?

RosieR Feb 4th, 2007 11:58 PM

Hi. We are going in late August 2007.
thanks.
Rosie

RosieR Feb 5th, 2007 12:22 AM

Forgot to say. What's Salthill like we are staying there. Also Sixmilebridge, Killarney, Bandon or somewhere near Cork (b&b accommodation any ideas?) then Waterford (accommodation?). Travelling with my 10 year old son, any kids activities in Ireland we must see?
RosieR

SiobhanP Feb 5th, 2007 01:11 AM

I personally don't think a hostel in Dublin would be appropriate with a child. Some are busy and a bit crazy with travelling young people and can be a bit too "party" of an atmosphere for a kid. There are plenty of other options. The Mercer hotel has a hostel of sorts mmore hotel style beside the hotel in Dublin. This may be more appropriate for you all.

minto Feb 6th, 2007 05:20 AM

You have to help us here RosieR- What do you mean you can't find accomodation in Cork? Is it full- or is it that you want a room for 5 people?

What ages are the people in yr party?

Also- Why Sixmilebridge? Are you staying there?

minto Feb 6th, 2007 06:24 AM

Meant to add re Sixmilebridge, it's only a few mins from Bunratty on the backs roads (7 kms) but IIRC, there's only one place to stay in (Jamaican Inn). It's not on the way to Cork- but v. handy for Shannon, and it would be on the way from Galway to Cork.

Try www.viamichelin.com for driving directions.

Salthill is on the outskirts of Galway. Is it a base for touring or are you only there for a night, for seeing Galway?

Naplo999 Feb 6th, 2007 07:17 AM

Salthill is a seaside resort overlooking Galway Bay. You'll need to take a taxi into Galway most likely. My cousins have a B&B in Salthill - the Knockmoy House.

RosieR Feb 6th, 2007 04:11 PM

Here's my itinerary.
Arrive Dublin stay the night.Next day see Book of Kells walk around Dublin. See relatives.
Drive to Manorhamilton see relatives booked to stay at Bluebell B&B.
Drive to Galway sightseeing what is there?
next day drive somewhere near Bunratty Castle have emailed Bunratty Lodge Sixmilebridge has a hostel, as we are a party of 5 I thought hostelling would be easier but am finding B&B are better option and as you say might be quieter than hostels.
Next day drive to Kenmare booked Riverville House at Kenmare. stay 2 nights tour Ring of Kerry or Beara.
Then onto Waterford emailed B&Bs at Dunmore East and Tramore.
Next day not sure should we go to Dublin we have 2 days left before we go back to London any ideas?
Thank you.
Rosie.

RosieR Feb 6th, 2007 04:19 PM

For got to mention between Kenmare and Waterford we are going to Cork stay at Lochniver Farmhouse in Bandon. I know some days we are doing a lot of driving but we Aussies are used to travelling distances although we want to get off the beaten track and see villages.

Itallian_Chauffer Feb 6th, 2007 05:29 PM

Bandon is pretty close to Cork. Your extra two days could easily be added to Galway, or you could add in Dingle, via the Cliffs of Moher in Co. Clare. There is also LOTS to see inWest Cork, between Kenmare and Bandon.
What are your interests?
Bob

RosieR Feb 6th, 2007 05:47 PM

I dont really want to go backwards from Bandon to Cliffs of Moher as we are heading home we are going to Dublin so I was thinking maybe north of Dublin for the last days. any ideas?

Itallian_Chauffer Feb 6th, 2007 06:55 PM

I meant to add in Dingle and the Cliffs between Galway and Kenmare. It would break up the drive, even if you visit the Cliffs as part of your Sixmilebridge stay.
In Galway, a drive through the Connemarra past Kylemore Abbey, Lenane and Westport, via the Doo Lough Valley is VERY scenic.
The 'indirect' route from Kenmare to Bandon following the N71 is a fair bit longer then the Bantry to Drimileague to Dunmanway road, but well worth considering.
Bob

RosieR Feb 6th, 2007 07:03 PM

I sorta cant now because I've just booked b&Bs in cork and waterford so Im on the homestretch when I say we have 2 days left heading for Dublin, I know I'd like to spend more time seeing Dingle etc but we will holiday again in Ireland. What is worth seeing from Waterford to Dublin? Thanks.

tmh Feb 6th, 2007 07:29 PM

Try a travel agent for assistance

RosieR Feb 6th, 2007 09:04 PM

I was thinking about Kilkenny, anyone got any ideas?

minto Feb 7th, 2007 02:35 AM

There's Waterford glass- self explanatory :)
Kilkenny is lovely. On your drive back to Dublin:
In County Wicklow (as opposed to Wicklow town) you will find:
- Powerscourt- lovely house and gardens
- Glendalough- old round tower, interesting interpretative centre,
- stunning scenery- Wicklow is called the "garden of Ireland".

www.viamichelin.com for driving directions

Then there's Dublin- because there are 5 of you, you're more than likely going to need 2 rooms-though I don't know what ages you are- except the 10 yr old. Try B&Bs, or Bewleys Hotel in Ballsbridge has family rooms with a double bed and a sofa bed- suitable usually for 2- but if you have 3 kids you might fit them in :).

Naplo999 Feb 7th, 2007 05:05 AM

Here is what I would do w/ 9 days.

Arrive Dublin spend day, next day relatives etc.

Day 3 drive to Killarney - leave early and drive past the Rock of Cashel, go to Cork in the afternoon see Blarney Castle continue on to Killarney for the night.
Day 4 - Ring of Kerry.
Day 5 - Drive to Dingle.
Day 6 - Enjoy Dingle Peninsula.
Day 7 - Drive to Cliffs of Moher and on to Galway.
Day 8 - Galway
Day 9 - Galway and take the train back to Dublin for flight home.

chip Feb 7th, 2007 08:24 AM

may want to take hop on/hop off bus tour to get overview of dublin on first day...our favorite sight was kilmainham jail

on your way to Galway you could visit sights around Sligo, Drumcliff, Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetary, Knock, Cong...we enjoyed walking on path behind the Abbey, nice cafe across from abbey.

on way to bunratty you can drive along galway bay, stop at dunguaire castle, ballyvaughn, thru part of the burren, then enjoy bunratty folkpark/castle and the folk night or castle banquet.

on your way to kenmare be sure to drive through killarney national park past ladies view and moll's gap...very scenic...kenmare also has a small stone circle.

be sure to drive the healy pass on beara peninsula...we also had time to take ferry out to garnish island.

if you have time for a stop in kinsale, go to charles fort

on way to waterford from cork you may go thru cahir...nice castle, also swiss cottage is interesting...if you have time...just up the road is a must see...rock of cashel.

outside of kilkenny, we enjoyed jerpoint abbey, interesting history/guide

glendalough south of dublin is a great sight as is newgrange/knowth and hill of tara just north of dublin

RosieR Feb 7th, 2007 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone. Napolo999 I have already booked Day 3-7 just got those 2 days at the end of the trip.

We are hiring a car. Its 4 adults and 1 child.

We will need a 4WD do they hire those cars in Ireland?

Thanks Chip I have put your words of wisdom in my diary we will make sure we see as much as possible.