Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Greece, itinery and hotel help

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our first trip, I have read the forum and would like to see if this is to much to do or if you have any other suggestions. We are arriving May 16 in the morning, we has thought to stay in athens two nights and then go to the islands. After reading, it might make more sense to fly to the islands and see Anthens at the end.
The only fllight that would make sense is to Naxos since we arrive at 9 AM, would like to take the Ferry into Santorini for the view.
Places to stay in Santorinis with a view that are reasonable and nice, the same for the other islands.

May 15 Fri Washington to NYC to Athens
May 16 Sat Arrive Athens 8:55 AM Fly to Naxos or Paros
May 17 Paros or Naxos Side Trip to
May 18 Paros or Naxos trip to Delos/Mykonos
May 19 Paros or Naxos
May 20 Santorini
May 21 Santorini
May 22 Santorini
May 23 Leave Santorini to Athens
May 24 Athens Sights
May 25 Athens Excursion to Delphi
May 26 Athens to NYC to DC

Any help or ideas will be appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM

Belendez I so appreciate your reading the forum before making up an itinerary and posting -- you have done a FINE job, and it's totally do-able. Enough time on each island ... it's all good. The only "tweak" I might suggest is something that would give you in effect most of an "extra" day in athens, by doing the "travel while you sleep" strategy going from Santorini to mainland.

The "usual" way is a looooong day ferry, or an fairly long "fast-ferry" (90 mins shorter) that costs a lot more... or a flight (even more $) which involves a bus to Plaka from Athens airport.

The brand-new option is the overnight (and Brand-new!) Blue Star I or II... big lovely ferry (ship really) that departs Santorini May 23 at 12:40 am. You can board about midnight. Get an inside cabin (remember, your ticket buys transport PLUS hotel room). You arrive 5:45 at Pireaus, and you have the Whole lovely day of May 23 in athens (nap in late afternoon to make up for the short-night sleep).

How's that for a plan? I wish you a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, so you feel you really need 2 days in Athens city plus the trip to Delphi.

In Santorini were should you stay for the best views.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM

The best views are seen from Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia. If you want easy walking-distance access to the best nightlife stay in Fira or Firostefani. If you want total peace and quiet stay in Imerovigli. If you want to stay in the most beautiful village and still have good restaurants and shops stay in Oia. The nightlife there is limited to a few mellow bars and tavernas.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM

Firostephani has some hotels with lovely views that are easy to walk to/from Fira town but are away form the crowds. Try Villa Ilias? Hotel Mylos ... quite reasonable. THe former has a pool. Also Sun Rocks a bit more upscale.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

I have been searching for Hotel in Santorini, does anyone know about the Sunset Hotel in Firostefani, rates look reasonalbe and the photos are fine.

Antoher question, looking at the Ferry from naxos to santorini, there is only one so we would arrive at 3:00 PM on the 20th and give us just two days in Santorini.
Thanks to travelerjan we are doing the overnight ferry on the 23.

Should we cut a day in Naxos,or Paros to give to Santorini?

Would it be better to stay in Naxos or Paros, we will fly into Naxos? Hotel ideas would be great.
Thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Ira in Firostefani and we absolutely loved it. When we stayed there two years ago, we paid 85 euro/night for a room with a balcony overlooking the caldera. Our hotel was right below the Blue Dolphins, which also gets great reviews from people online and seems to have decent rates.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

THanks for the info, I looked into Hotel Ira, two years later they want 185 euro for May 20, it looks beautiful

I'm still looking but would like to get something soon.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Belendez you have a good doable plan.
I see you questioned if you really need two days in Athens. People believe Athens it is a big dirty city. Which is true except the Plaka area where all the action is, and is a lovely area.
I am going to post our pictures to give you an idea of what you will see in the Plaka.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG

Remember on top of all of these Athens highlights you still need time to visit the National Archaeological Museum. and perhaps the new Acropolis Museum and even the highly rated Benaki Museum.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi stanbr,

No I did not question Anthens, see my post again of April 2. we liked your idea of the overnight ferry from Santorini, my questions was cutting a day in Naxox/Paros because the ferry to Santorini arrives at 3:00 PM, it gives us just two day in Santorini.

Looking for Hotel in Naxo or Paros? Which one should we stay in?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM

It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to be near the beach? In Naxos, we stayed at the Iliada Studios, where we had a lovely 2-floor apartment for € 40/night a couple of years ago. However, we weren't near the beach and we were a 5-minute walk from the main part of town.

We did a day trip to Paros, and we had a great time both there and in Naxos.