Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Germany - what rental car agency best?

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

We will be traveling throughout Germany Oct 11-24. Starting and returning to Frankfurt (where we are flying in and out of). What is the best rental car agency to use? We want to be able to cross the border into Salzburg, Austria for 3 days. 4 adults. Thank you for suggestions.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:59 PM

We use budget or enterprise but rail travel is our mode of transportation now, Buses in town, Germany is excellent for public transportation.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:41 PM

We've always used a broker recommended here -- Auto Europe. You'll be able to choose from different companies and different deals.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:57 PM

Hi Leta, you will have no problems if you want to drop off your car in Frankfurt again, only if you want to leave the car in another country does it become expensive. We most often use Hertz as I have a discount card from my union (and the discount is minimal) but sometimes we use Auto Europe when it is cheaper and have wound up with for example Europcar that way. If you have a problem it can be easier to use a broker because they can do a lot of the negotiating for you. Look into the memberships you have (such as automobile associations, etc) to see if any of them have special deals with car rental agencies. Another big company is Sixt, we have had luck with them also.

Lavandula
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:59 PM

We seemed to always get hatchbacks and not super crazy about them for luggage storage. Last time in France we did get a nice sedan so luggage was hidden.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 03:00 PM
mms

My husband goes to Germany often for work and always rents through Hertz. I was with him just recently there and when we were getting the car it was quick and easy, as was the return. This was at the Dresden airport.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 05:36 PM

I would check out Autoeurope and Kemwel (they are sister companies), as each has at times different rates.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the info. Checking out autoeurope.com