Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to England (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-england-698205/)

daisy07 Apr 19th, 2007 12:31 AM

First trip to England

In June, I will be traveling to England with my 80-year old mother-in-law. It's the first trip for both of us. We'll be staying with family outside of London and want to be prepared for some exploring on our own. What recommendations/suggestions do you have for what we should see? I want to factor in the energy level/walking ability of a relatively fit (but 80 year old) companion. Also, how has everyone handled the money situation? I've been told I really only need an ATM and credit cards. Would you all agree? Do we head for an ATM as soon as we arrive or exchange some cash before we leave? Thoughts on traveler's checks? I'm looking forward to your help--thanks!

nona1 Apr 19th, 2007 12:35 AM

Hi, I hope you both love your trip.

Money: It's up to you if you feel happier to get a little currency before you come or not. You don't need to, but some people like to have a small amount ready 'just in case'. Don't bother with travellers cheques - they work out more expensive and are difficult to cash.

What are your interests? Historical sites? Art? Landscapes? And which side of London are you staying?

alanRow Apr 19th, 2007 03:16 AM

Re money.

Know how much your bank will charge for you to withdraw money and if, like some, it's something like $5 consider changing banks or opening another account just for holiday spending money

Inform your bank that you are travelling abroad. Some US banks still automatically consider any spending outside North America as proof of fraudulent use & hence they'll block the card

Even though you've told your bank know how to contact the bank from abroad (it generally won't be the 0800 number). This is so when they block your card (even though you've told them) you can have a good shout at them - it's also useful if someone does steal your card

Do the same for the CC's & use them for all major purchases or small ones in major stores

janisj Apr 19th, 2007 04:45 AM

As the others say, your ATM and credit cards is all you need. You can pick up a few £ at your departure airport if you want to land w/ some.

Now as for what to see - my first question is WHERE are you staying? "Outside London" could mean anything.

bilboburgler Apr 19th, 2007 06:37 AM

Use ATM at airport

Read some threads about cars and travel. The roads are busy and on the worng side etc.

Trains are more on time than in the past but still very expensive.

Do you get bus sick or travel sick.

jt7dreamz Apr 19th, 2007 06:41 AM

the train from heathrow to city center is the best I think... but i dont know what "outside london" relates to. cabs are pretty expensive. I think the trains are fine thogh.... although I'm much younger and relatively fit so depends what you'd like to see! yes to ATM and credit card- I've never had a problem. Travelers chks arent necessary.

bilboburgler Apr 19th, 2007 06:45 AM

Sorry had to do some work....

Then a bit of surfing to find out what you want to do. UK has some wonderful gardens but if say you are car nuts then you want ot go to Beaulieu etc.

Keep searching the threads

daisy07 Apr 19th, 2007 07:16 AM

T'was my first posting--I see that I need to be more specific! Thanks for the recommendations on money--all set! What suggestions does anyone have for itineraries/bus tours of the "gotta see" sights in London (the Eye, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc). Our hosts have had many visitors and may not want to redo visits to these. I wouldn't mind walking a lot but I think my companion might tire more quickly. Ideas?