Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First trip to Brussells, HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-trip-to-brussells-help-16830/)

Anne Conery Aug 30th, 1997 02:44 PM

First trip to Brussells, HELP

HELP!!!! Will be leaving in three days for Brussells. I have never been out of the country and I am most apprehensive. Need some reassurance. Have plan ticket, hotel reservations and a Eurorail flexipass. Please give me any advice that I could use, or just suggetions. Thanks

Tricia Aug 31st, 1997 02:07 PM

Hi, don't know Anne, if you've ever had a child, but you can equate this trip to giving birth: first the labor, then the euphoria, then the blues (upon returning home and knowing its over). You are in labor right now, but you'll be fine. I am a 49 year old woman who had to meet my husband in Amsterdam. We left from LAX and its about 12 hours flying time. If I hadnt' had this travel lounge to hear what others had done I wouldn't have been as relaxed as I was. I HAVE AN EXCELLENT WEBSITE FOR YOU-ITS www.visitbelgium.com.. Its for the first time visitor to belgium and will show you pictures and hopefully you'll get so excited you'll pass into the second stage EUPHORIA!!! HAVE FUN FUN FUN FUN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercedes Sep 1st, 1997 12:45 PM

Annie, you're gonna love it. Just muster up that sense of adventure and hurl yourself headlong into what will be a great trip. You are going to have jet lag, you are going to be tired for about the first 2 days. Just realize the tiredness you feel isn't the way you'll feel throughout the entire trip-it will go away. WEAR WALKING SHOES and DO NOT LOSE YOUR PASSPORT. Don't set it down, don't turn your back, don't assume. Just don't lose it. Now, once you get to Brussels and get to your hotel, take a nap, then get out of the room and walk or taxi to the GRAND PLACE--Take a photo of a family member in front of the Godiva Chocolate place (Belgian chocolate tastes different than what you get here). Stand in the middle of the Grand Place and look up at the tops of all the buildings -- beautiful gold, beautiful architecture. Use your city map and find the Mannekin Pis statue (About a block from the GRAND PLACE). Usually has clothes on, once I was there and he had a boy scout uniform on. Take a picture. Make sure you are in the picture -- much more fun. BUY A TAPESTRY or a pillow cover as a take-home gift--don't miss this opportunity. The Flemish designs are beautiful. The next day, get on a train and spend a day at Bruges. Absolutely medieval, old, cool, you'll be transported to a different age. And by all means, talk to other tourists, especially those from foreign countries. They will give you insight into other things to do, and you'll get excited about more traveling. Have no fear, just keep your wits about you, realize you are out of your own country, be an ambassador for our country, and plan your next trip on the plane home. Bon Voyage! (don't forget your American Express card)

Mercedes Sep 1st, 1997 12:48 PM

Annie, you're gonna love it. Just muster up that sense of adventure and hurl yourself headlong into what will be a great trip. You are going to have jet lag, you are going to be tired for about the first 2 days. Just realize the tiredness you feel isn't the way you'll feel throughout the entire trip-it will go away. WEAR WALKING SHOES and DO NOT LOSE YOUR PASSPORT. Don't set it down, don't turn your back, don't assume. Just don't lose it. Now, once you get to Brussels and get to your hotel, take a nap, then get out of the room and walk or taxi to the GRAND PLACE--Take a photo of a family member in front of the Godiva Chocolate place (Belgian chocolate tastes different than what you get here). Stand in the middle of the Grand Place and look up at the tops of all the buildings -- beautiful gold, beautiful architecture. Use your city map and find the Mannekin Pis statue (About a block from the GRAND PLACE). Usually has clothes on, once I was there and he had a boy scout uniform on. Take a picture. Make sure you are in the picture -- much more fun. BUY A TAPESTRY or a pillow cover as a take-home gift--don't miss this opportunity. The Flemish designs are beautiful. The next day, get on a train and spend a day at Bruges. Absolutely medieval, old, cool, you'll be transported to a different age. And by all means, talk to other tourists, especially those from foreign countries. They will give you insight into other things to do, and you'll get excited about more traveling. Have no fear, just keep your wits about you, realize you are out of your own country, be an ambassador for our country, and plan your next trip on the plane home. Bon Voyage! (don't forget your American Express card)

John Sep 1st, 1997 01:07 PM

You are going to love it. My wife and I were there two years ago. I can't add any more than your other replys as they were excellent. Don't language as most of them speak english in Brussells. The first mall in the world was built there when they had a King

Marge Sep 1st, 1997 01:10 PM

What a wonderful country to land in for your maiden voyage! Don't miss Brugge...it is truly the Venice of the North...an easy, easy train ride. Belguium is wonderful. Be sure to stop at the TI first thing...usually located in heart of the city. The trains are great, ontime and fun. I envy you! My first time out of the country was when I was 41 and alone too. I have never lost that sense of "I can do it" that it gave me. You will be amazed at how easy it is! Enjoy.

Marge Sep 1st, 1997 01:15 PM

Oh yes, one last important thing...after you have packed, leave half of what you thought you needed at home. Take one rollaboard case and you can go anywhere with total comfort and ease. I went for 7 weeks with one case and never missed a thing I left home. They DO have sinks, washing facillities and places to buy toiletries don't forget...if you miss something you can buy it...much better than lugging stuff you didn't need. One case...no check in on train...just hop on and go!

a conery Sep 1st, 1997 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the information and well wishes!!! I am very excited and looking forward to my big adventure. If there are other suggestions please let me know, again thanks, My daughter and I will be traveling together. She is attending an International Transplant Conference in Levin for the first 3 days of our 12 day trip, so perhaps I can get over my jet lag by that time. Plan on taking as little as possible and it sounds as though this is the right approach. Will be leaving 9/3 so let me hear from anyone who cares to post a reply.