First trip for parents to Ireland

Jul 28th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

First trip for parents to Ireland

Hi - I am trying to plan a 2-week trip in mid-Sept for myself and my 70-yr old parents. They're in pretty good shape but I don't want to be too aggressive. Not interested in the north but would like to fly in to Dublin and out of Shannon (or vice versa) and was told driving may be best way of seeing the country. Maybe fly into Dublin and explore from there and then rent a car for 2d part of the trip?? Would love to mix up B&Bs, perhaps a castle in the end (for Mom's bday). Looking to see the major sites and looking for any suggestions? Any castles closer to Shannon to end our 2 week stay at?
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM

They might enjoy the CIE bus tours, since there will be lots of other folks their age and the tours are geared for seniors. My parents (late 50s) went last summer and were easily the youngest in the group, but they had a wonderful time!
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I have traveled a number of times with my Mother, and in April traveled to Ireland with both Mom & Dad. (ages 65 & 67)
Here is the link to my trip report, in case you are interested. We flew In/Out of Shannon, but made a loop from Doolin-Cashel-Glendalough-Kilkenny-Killarney-Bunratty.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34421627

Definitely pare back the activities every day. Not only do seniors not move as quickly as you may be used to , they seem to really enjoy looking at things. In depth. For much longer than you would think necessary....

Also - my folks really preferred basing out of each B&B for 2 or 3 days. We did 2 one-night stays, and it wasn't very restful.

In fact, while in Killarney, my Dad came down with something, and it was really nice to be able to let him go back to the B&B and have a rest, not be on the road to yet another B&B.

If your folks have any issues with stairs, be sure to mention that in your email/calls for B&B's. Most of the ones I have been to only have 1 (or none) ground level rooms. (Crystal Springs in Killarney has 2 - both with 1 dbl & 1 twin bed AND small refridgerator)
Since most places require you to haul your stuff up a flight of stairs, pack light - or use a small tote , and only take in what you need for that stay.

We used those travel space bags, and they worked great. You can put together a couple of days worth of clothes and just grab that bag...

If you need more info - just ask.

P.S. our favorite place was Dualla House in Cashel.

Debbie
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Hi driscoll8,

The Adare Manor would be a lovely way to end your trip and very special for your Mom.

Enjoy!
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Try the Dromoland Castle, which is cloe to Shannon Airport. I havent't stayed at this castle but it received great reviews in a number of guide books and travel magazines. Website: http://www.dromoland.ie/