Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip! Confused! What to pack for Italy (1st 2 weeks of September)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Kelly Anne

Forgive me, but I need your help! I keep buying stuff that I know I'll either leave at home or bring and never use. What should I pack for a 2 week trip? We will be touring, sunning, swimming, dining. Are shorts ever acceptable if I avoid churches? Thanks for your help in advance!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Karen

Kelly, you don't say which cities you are going to. I just got back from two weeks on June 18. I didn't go swimming at all. When I was there there were so many things to do and see, swimming just didn't seem important. I think it will be a little cooler than you expect especially at night. From June 3 until June 10, I had to bring a little sweater,jacket thing with me all the time. It got very cool in Rome, and Florence at night. I think shorts would be ok, but if you do decide to pop into a church and there are so many everywhere you would not be able to get in. What about capri pants? That's what I used. I packed all black pants and capris,(one khaki pant), and many knit tops that would go with everything. Then you don't have to think about how to coordinate outfits. Because all my clothes were the kind that had some lycra(stretch) to them, they didn't wrinkle and I could fold them very small and I brought enough shirts for every day, also underwear and socks for everyday. I got this into a 22" suitcase with handle and wheels, and I had a bag sort of like a big gym bag, that I kept with my on the plane, and had all my medicine, tickets, passport, one day of extra clothes( in case they lost my luggage). My biggest problem was whether to pack my Nike tennis shoes. Thank goodness I did because my 100 dollar Ecco walking shoes were horrible and after the first day, I had tons of blisters. I then wore my tennis every day, except when I went out for dinner and I didn't feel out of place at all. Karen

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Kay

Kelly Anne,<BR>I would really recommend packing as lightly as possible, it makes things so much better if you can easily carry your luggage.<BR>It depends a bit on which part of Italy you are visiting, as it will be warmer in the south, but here's some suggestions:<BR><BR>2 pairs of really comfortable shoes that you can wear all day walking (change into the other pair at night to give your feet a break)<BR><BR>2 pair of trousers that don't need ironing and will go with everything else (dark colours are best).<BR><BR>About 4 or 5 tops (that don't need ironing), remembering you will be restricted going into churches if you have bare shoulders. Carrying a light scarf with you to cover your shoulders is a good idea.<BR><BR>A warm top for the evening, cardigan, jacket, whatever suits you.<BR><BR>A skirt that doesn't need ironing and will go with all your tops, and your shoes (tough I know).<BR><BR>One handbag that you can wear across your body (for security reasons).<BR><BR>I think shorts would be fine in tourist areas but the locals are unlikely to be wearing them.<BR><BR>I've found in the past you can get by with a lot less than you think. If in doubt, leave it out (and take extra funds for shopping!)<BR>Kay

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Alice Twain

Early september is still rather warm, usually. Yet you might not find swimming weather in norther italy, the deep south is better this late in season, so if you really want to tan and swim you should better head south.<BR>Also, in the north you might not find shorts to be the perfect piece of clothing, especially at night. Bring at least ona pair of long pants for the evenings (I am wearing long pants even now) and one pair of shoes and one pair of sandals.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Susan

Dear Kelly Anne,<BR>You can find a very good packing list and other pre-travel checklists and tips at Mele Fujiwara's TERC Europe Travel website. (She is a social worker who offers free itinerary planning advice). Another Fodor's poster recommended this site to me, and I found it to be extremely helpful. Her "pre-travel checklist" is very thorough. View her site at members.aol.com/meleterc/Page2.html#Packing<BR>Kindest regards,<BR>Susan

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Jean

Just a comment on shorts for women travelling in Italy: More than once, I was faced with using a hole-in-the-floor toilet. Wearing shorts, that meant I had to undress and, there being no hook, hold my clothes while squatting and aiming. Yikes. I now tend to wear skirts most days.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Kelly Anne

Hi! I just today was able to look into your responses and thank you so much to all! To answer your questions, we will be in Rome, near Caserta (south of Rome), Amalfi Coast, Bari. So, it seems that it will be warm. And thanks for the shorts info - it helps alot. Take care! Now if you have any suggestions on how to pack for a 2 year old boy.....<BR>Kelly

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Linda

My travel agent gave us some great advice: After you have completely packed, take out half. Then you'll have everything you need.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Tara & JJ

Boy, I gleamed a lot of good info - we will be going in late Oct./early Nov.<BR><BR>Both south Italy in Oct and north in early Nov.<BR><BR>Do you still think it will be warm enough to swim in Amalfi in Oct.?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Kelly

Hi. I asked my relatives from Italy and they don't think it will be warm enough to swim in October. I guess it is all relative to what you are used to - after all I live in Canada and the water isn't usually very warm. Maybe a hotel pool?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Cheryl

Remember in Europe their temperatures are probably alot warmer than what we are used to. So to them swimming in May & September would not be warm enough - but for us it is just perfect.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Alice Twain

Jean<BR><BR>What you call "hole in the floor" toilets that in Itlaian are called "turca" are probably the best kind of public toilet because it allows you to do what you need without the risk of getting in contact with other people's mess. In any cae you do not need to pull off your shorts to use one of these, you just pull the horts down to the mid tight and squat. Squatting, your legs will open and this will keep your shorts in place.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:03 AM
what a workout

I guess I can forego my daily run and instead, use a "hole in ground" toilet. That'll keep my quads & hamstrings in shape! Alice, I don't mean to get too crude ... yet if a gal only pulls down her shorts to mid-thigh, don't you run the risk of "droppings" getting on your clothes???<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Give me a break!

To: What a workout. <BR>Yes, this is getting crude ! <BR>Figure it out yourself.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Dawn

The first two weeks of September are pretty hot. I'd bring knits or things that don't wrinkle easily. I'd bring a sweater or very light jacket, incase it rains or for night. Shorts are a personal thing, I prefer capri pants.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Mike

Yesterday folks were talking about these great restaurants in Rome. What is the appropriate dress for going out to a nice restaurant.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Jean

To: Alice Twain<BR><BR>Excuse the question, but how old are you?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Alice Twain

I am 31 and I have been using turche for all my life. I know that for older people using turca toilets can be harder, but as long as there is one alternaitve, I really think that most public toilets should be this kind: they are much more hygienic.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Alice Twain

What a workout<BR><BR>No, you do not. As you squat, the clothing (along with the legs) gets loshed in front of you, And we do not have to pull out something to pee: usually the pee falls more or less straight downward. I guess: hgaven't you ever seen a emale doing this hind of thing? I do not mean any nasty sexual stuff: but a daughter, a little sister who neede to be helped with her clothing, a fiance who wouldn't wait until you were done because she risked exploding...

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Susan in Seattle

As a place to start... Do not pack more than a 22" roller suitcase plus one carry-on or oversize pocketbook/purse.<BR><BR>2-4 'palazzo' pants or capris in cotton knit, print rayon, synthetic; 1 shorts; 1 skirt.<BR><BR>6-8 tops including tanks, shells, vests, t-shirts, etc. that can layer each other and go with all above. Synthetic works better than cotton in most cases. 1 black silk cardigan lightweight sweater (wear on the plane).<BR><BR>2 goodlooking but comfortable sandals, 1 shoes (break them ALL in beforehand~ regarding post above about new $100 Ecco).<BR><BR>Undies, bras, a couple light-weight little ankle socks in dark or prints that can go with sandals (in case of foot emergency). Lightweight kimono or bathrobe and/or pareo for lounging.<BR><BR>Take the bathing suit! It packs so small and if you never know~ I almost didn't take one for recent trip & ended up in a heatwave with a lovely pool available to me!<BR><BR>(A similar pack as this list just got me successfully thru 3 weeks Amsterdam, Switzerland).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -