Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First timers to Europe, honeymooners, 10-14 days, begin and end in Paris - with 5 days off coast of tuscany itinerary suggestions?

First timers to Europe, honeymooners, 10-14 days, begin and end in Paris - with 5 days off coast of tuscany itinerary suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be honeymooning at the end of June into July 2006. We plan to fly into and out of Paris and make our way down to Elba Island off of Tuscany for a 5 - 7 day stay. Any suggestions on places to spend additional days? We arent interested in Rome this trip - want a somewhat leisurely, romantic trip. Dont want to try to do too much, but do want to make the most of it. We have friends in Amsterdam we might like to see for a day or two towards the end of the trip. Would it be way too much to try for Venice as well? How easy and quick is it to travel by train throughout? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Paris, Elba, Amsterdam, Venice - I don't get it. Do you have maps?

How could this be leisurely and romantic in the time given?

I suggest you spend a week in Paris and then fly to Pisa or Florence (there's some news about the Florence airport being closed for a bit sometime soon), visit Tuscany, and then fly home from wherever the nearest airport is that's open.

Also, I have to ask: Elba for a honeymoon? That's really disconsonant, at least to me, unless you're related to Napoleon.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Have fun on your honeymoon. Paris has had some ugly incidents with unhappy youths lately, so be careful on trains. Traveling around the way you want to can be time consuming. It can take several hours to a half a day to get to places. Fly into Amsetrdam if it's faster and cheaper than a train. If you can, stand directly under the Eiffel Tower and look up. Pretty cool. If you go to Italy, I suggest you fly, again, quicker. Get a good travel book, look up train times on the internet, and compare with flying times. Maybe just focus your time in France; have your friends meet you. It might be easier. Have fun.
peri girl
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:23 AM
ira

Hi E,

I ditto StCirq.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I think you'll need to skip Amsterdam. That's like taking a side trip to Chicago when you're in Miami.
I also agree with StCirq. 3-5 full days in Paris, then make your way to Italy.
We honeymooned in Europe as well, but went to Germany and areas around there. It was great!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:28 AM
cmt

I've never been to Amsterdam, I don't like driving, and I usually don't cover long distances once I arrive at a destination. So, to me, going all the way to Amsterdam sounds like far too much.

If you haven't already made your flight arrangements, would you consider skipping Paris this time around? Then you could defintely fit in Venice, and the whole trip would be much more relaxing. Then Paris could be for some future trip, when you're focusing on France, with a detour to visit your friends in Amsterdam. But whatever you decide should be good--I don't mean to suggest that Paris wouldn't be enjoyable--it's just so far.

I've never been to Elba, but from the little bits I've heard, and from seeing photos and reading a little, it sounds like a beautiful destination for a honeymoon and an interesting, unusual choice.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We have not made our flight arrangements, so we will definately reconsider flying into Paris - it just seemed so romantic! If you all had your pick - would you choose Paris? or Venice? Elba is definately in - I'm not related to Napoleon StCirq, but I am pretty short! The idea of a return trip to see Amsterdam, and possibly Paris as well sounds good too. If we flew into Venice (if theres an airport there?) what would people suggest we see/do in between Venice and Tuscany/Elba? Really looking forward to this trip! : )
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Do what StCirq said.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM

euromoon,

I think a Paris/Elba/Amsterdam combo is absolutely doable!

Ideally, you would book an open jaw itinerary arriving in Amsterdam, spend a few days there, then fly Transavia down to Pisa, pick up a rental car and take the ferry to Elba from Piombino. After a week in Elba, return to Pisa and fly EasyJet to Paris. Spend a few days in Paris, then back home.

I suggest you go to Amsterdam first simply because the flight schedules to/from Pisa are more convenient that way and allow you to make the complete trip to and from Elba without an overnight stay on the way. If an open jaw transatlantic ticket is much more expensive than a roundtrip to Paris or Amsterdam, the Thalys train gets you from Paris to Amsterdam (or vice versa) in about 4 hours.

Useful links:
http://www.transavia.com/en
www.easyjet.com

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, there is an airport in Venice.

My suggestion would be: fly into Venice spend 6 days, take an overnight train to Paris in a private cabin, spend 6 days in Paris, fly home from Paris. That would be lovely.

And without sounding harsh, I have to agree with the folks above, I think you need a map!! In answer to your question, it is easy enough to travel by train but it isn't "quick" because you are talking about some very long distances.

I have no idea about Alba Island or how or why that will work for you. And I'd save your friends in Amsterdam for another trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, if Amsterdam and Alba are truly your 1st priorities (not Venice) just do what Andre says -lol.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Suze,

I find the tone of your reply to the OP quite condescending, especially for someone who

a) doesn't know where Elba is or even how to spell it. Alba is a town in the Piemonte region famous for its white truffles, while Elba is an Island off the coast of Tuscany, best known as Napoleon's place of exile

b) recommends taking a sleeper train between Paris and Venice, when cheap flights are available on that route

While Elba is more of a family beach than a typical honeymoon destination, it is supposed to be very pretty and early summer should be an ideal time to visit the island.

Andre