Reload this Page >

First timer in Europe in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:52 AM
shelley

I am going on my first trip to Europe in about 1 week and a half. I am spending most of my time in London and Paris. My main concern is weather. I am Canadian...so I am used to cold weather, especially in the winter. So I am concerned about the kind of clothes I should bring. I obviously have a higher tolerance for cold. But the weather here has been so wonderful this Fall, that I do not want to be decieved. I would love to hear any advice, not only about clothes but what to expect, actually. Thanks a bunch.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:05 AM
sylvie

Expect wet and windy weather, on top of the chill in London. Bring a good windbreaker and a strong umbrella.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Lee

Shelley, yes, it may be quite cool, but it might be on the warm side. Expect anything from 10-20C during the day, rain is a good possibility anytime.

For info, email me and I'll send you a copy of our Paris trip notes. They may give you some hints.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Christina

I'd just advise you to start checking the weather reports more seriously in the week before going. All I can say is that it is been a mild Fall in Paris, I think, but that doesn't mean it can't change in two weeks. It's still not that cold there (around 50-60F in daytime) and likely won't get that cold in Nov, but is often rainy. I think London is about the same. It's predicted to get colder next week. If you have one, a raincoat with zipout lining would be good.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Randy

Shelley, my first trip to Paris about five years ago was in November. I live in norhtern Michigan and most likely have similar temperatures to you in Canada. I found it cool, windy and light rains. It was overcast most the time I was there. I did not feel cold. The French people were all bundled up in wool coats and scarfs. I found the Metro VERY hot and a lot of the buildings and stores were also quite warm. I have found Paris to be about 10°F warmer than where I live in northern Michigan. The first year I took a leather coat. That was a mistake. It was to warm and to heavy. I really felt fine with just a long sleve shirt and a light cotton jacket. Be sure to have an umbrella. Bon Voyage!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:58 AM
kate

London is unnaturally warm for the time of year at the moment. I keep getting it wrong and arrive at work sweating in a jumper. <BR> <BR>We've had really sunny crisp days, but it's a bit overcast and damp today. Unpredictable as always. And in a week's time - who knows? Bring layers rather than one heavy coat or you'll sweat and don't forget your brolly!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:13 AM
elaine

Shelley <BR>I concur with all the advice except that of going with only a light cotton jacket. Randy must have been very lucky with weather. <BR>A rain coat or jacket with a removable lining would be good; you're bound to have rain. Or if you have a wool poncho or jacket <BR>(car coat, etc)bring that, and bring layers that you can wear or not wear underneath: turtlenecks, a blazer or a cardigan etc. Gloves come in handy, even when the temperature isn't freezing, An an umbrella of course. Dampeness is likely to make you feel more cold than the actual temp.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Shelley

Wow, what great advice! I have been keeping tabs on the weather in Europe, especially in London and Paris. I do not want to be too hot. <BR>It has been unusually warm here too, and I keep getting it wrong. I was thinking of bringing my mid-thigh length leather jacket. But from everyone's advice, i am better off with a raincoat. I don't think I even own a raincoat. <BR>I will just wing it...I am sure it will all work out. But thanks for everyones advice...very very helpful indeed!