COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time visitor looking for tricky mix in London

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Stevo

I'll be visiting London in mid-September for the first time (only my second time overseas at all) and I'm trying to determine which area of the city I should stay in. My criteria are that I would like to be in a place that a young(ish) single guy would enjoy at night -- and maybe where the English girls would find a Texas accent so very charming (it IS, you know) -- but still located where I can do the standard touristy things during the day.

I have a reservation already made at The Gate Hotel near Notting Hill, and I've read good things about the hotel and the area, but I would really like to hear first-hand from people who have been there.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:47 AM
texasgirl

Hi, I stayed in notting hill last winter and think it has a good mix of what you want _ quite a few neighborhood pubs and little restaurants to hang out in, but a short Tube ride to major sights. As for the accent, just put in a few "y'alls'' and "fixin' tos" and you'll be set! have fun...

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 01:52 PM
Marion

It's really too hard to determine where you should stay without knowing a little more about you. Please reply with some of the things you're into and I'll try to advise. Best bets from what you've said, however, are Islington, Notting Hill, Soho (though a sod to find accommodation in) and Camden.

Regarding the accent! I love the accent! Be proud of who you are and where you're from. I really hope you have a great trip.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:08 PM
Rex

texasgirl - - wow! a blast from the past! I can't remember seeing a post from you here in ages!

And it's rather modest of you not to cite your own article - - http://www.star-telegram.com/travel/...idgetjones.htm - - about your Bridget Jones/Notting Hill experience(s), Ms. Rodriguez!

I wonder, from time to time, how many newspaper columnists are "regulars" here - - whether contributing or just lurking. and I find it odd that you give your entire name, e-mail address and telephone number in your writing for the paper - - there for the whole world to see - - yet choose a cloak of anonymity here!

In any event, nice to see you in print! I've got plenty more story ideas for you, if you care to write to me - - or maybe you would like to go to Italy this fall - - www.rexbickers.italy.com - - and write the story yourself of our Fodorites' trip! Mention of the Fodorites made the NYTimes today; surely there are DFW readers who would find it interesting to read more about the travels we are undertaking!

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Stevo

Marion,

Well, I want to enjoy the nightlife of pubs and clubs, but I'm not too into seeing a live band or hearing a house music DJ. Mostly I'm looking forward to meeting people different from the ones I normally meet and talking some. During the day, I doubt I'll be doing many highbrow activities -- I'm much more likely to visit the War Musueum than any of the art museums.

To give you an idea of the sort of area I have enjoyed staying in, last year I went to Dublin and stayed at the Fitzsimon Hotel right in the Temple Bar. Lots of bars -- some less traditional than others -- and a great mix of people while being centrally located so I could do lots of wandering during the day. I loved it.

My latest dilemma is to try and decide whether it's better to spend all 7 nights in London or to make my way up to Glasgow for two nights then come back to London for the weekend.