Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time visiting Ireland - itin help please :) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-visiting-ireland-itin-help-please-939844/)

RosieN Jun 20th, 2012 08:39 AM

First time visiting Ireland - itin help please :)

Hello Ireland Experts,
My husband and I are going to Ireland for the first time leaving on July 10. We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. We are staying in Dublin for 2 nights and then renting a car. We would love comments/feedback on our overnight locations. Are we driving too much? Does this route make sense? I have been reading so many travel books and my head is spinning :- ) Thank you so much to all responder in advance!

July 11 – Arrive Dublin
Jul 11 / 12 - Dublin for 2 nights
July 13 – Kilkenny for 1 night
July 14 / 15 – Waterford/Cork for 2 night
July 16 – Ring of Kerry / Killarney for 1 night
July 17 / 18 – Dingle / Galway (2 nights?)
July 19 – Clare 1 night (?)
July 20 – Depart Shannon

cd Jun 20th, 2012 08:57 AM

We decided to do the Dingle Peninsula instead of Ring of Kerry and it and Slea Head Drive and
Conner Pass was some of the most magnificent views ever! I would suggest that you include The Cliff of Mohler on your way to Shannon, also beautiful! We consentrated on the countryside and loved the stone fences and peat fires in the pubs. We spent very little time in the towns and only then for the castles..Have a great time, we loved Ireland!

TPAYT Jun 20th, 2012 09:38 AM

We toured the west coast in Sept.2010 and loved Ireland so much we returned in May, 2011 to do the middle. IMO, the west coast is better, the middle looked like Wisconsin, where we are from.

Here's my west coast trip report fpr some more reading

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-surprises.cfm

As cd posted above, the Dingle Peninsula and Conner Pass was the best scenery we saw in all of Ireland. We stayed In Kenmare and much preferred it to the bigger city of Killarney. The ROK was a madhouse with traffic compared to the Slea Head Drive in Dingle.

We liked the countryside of Kilkenny but not the town itself.

Waterford, Cork? Is there a reason for the big cities? Kinsale & Cobh were more charming.

Here's our 2nd trip report with Kilkenny in it.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-adventure.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

These are just the thoughts of one traveler. We enjoyed the small roads and towns much more than the cities. Much easier to get around and gorgeous scenery instead of a tollway that could be anywhere. Hope I've helped some.

Fodorites love to comment on their trips, so ask away. You'll get very useful information.

Tony2phones Jun 20th, 2012 09:59 AM

Just to paste my answer from TA.

2 nights Dublin fine

1 night Kilkenny fine

I would put 1 night either Waterford or Cork (even 1 night each)

2 nights Killarney and 1 for Dingle

last night either Ennis or Shannon depending on time of departure.

Galway would be a bridge too far on this trip.

Unlike many contributors I do not rave about a few miles of coast and a narrow hill pass. If you get the chance to tour Beara on the way round from Cork to Dingle, you mint find the latter a bit of an anti climax.

longhorn55 Jun 20th, 2012 11:19 AM

Once you decide on your itinerary, will you be booking your accommodations? July is in the midst of the busy tourist season and I know that I would not want to waste valuable time each day trying to find available rooms. It's much better knowing exactly where you'll be laying your head each night.

GreenDragon Jun 20th, 2012 12:31 PM

I agree with sticking to towns. Tony gives a good itinerary option. We loved staying in Kenmare, and that's an excellent base for the Ring of Beara, a visit to Cork, or Ring of Kerry (I prefer Beara).

Dingle is fantastic, Conor Pass, Slea Head, and Brandon Point.

I'd do:

2 nights Dublin
1 night Kilkenny
2 nights Kenmare
2 nights Dingle
2 nights Ennis or Ballyvaughan (somewhere to explore the Cliffs, the Burren, or Aran Islands)
1 night Bunratty/Shannon

RosieN Jun 21st, 2012 08:04 AM

Thank you, thank you to all! You have given us alot to think about. We have started to revise our itin. Will post new itin. soon with more details. We appreciate all your suggestions and feedback!

RosieN Jun 23rd, 2012 08:28 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all soooo much for all the feedback and suggestions. We came up with an alternate itinerary and would love your thoughts. I have also included a list of some of the places we were thinking about visiting. I have been checking out hotels, B and B’s and guest houses in the various places. It is so wonderful to hear everyone’s thoughts and about your Ireland trips. My husband and I are so excited. It is so hard to decide where to visit. We know this will be the first of several trips to Ireland. We want to see a lot but not be so rushed as not to experience each town and get to know Ireland and the people. Thank you again for all your help. We appreciate it!

July 11 – Arrive Dublin

July 11/12 - Dublin for 2 nights
Are we hitting the highlights? Anything we should add or omit?
--Walking Tours: On our own or with a guide?
--Trinity College / Book of Kells
--St. Stephen’s Green / Merrion Sq. / Grafton St. / Temple Bar
--National Museum
--Guinness Storefront
--Literary Pub Crawl: Is this worth doing?
--Are there any particular pubs you would recommend?

July 13 - Drive to Cork, visit Kilkenny along the way
--Kilkenny Castle
--Rock of Cashel?
--Is Waterford worth visiting?

July 13 / 14 - 2 nights County Cork
--Blarney Castle (and tour of Cork)
--Visit Kinsale
-- Any thoughts about the cooking school in Cork?
--The English Market
--Jameson Distillery
--Bantry House

July 15 – Dingle – 1 night
--Explore Dingle Peninsula

July 16/17 - Killarney or Kenmare for 2 nights (Is 2 nights too much here?)
Many recommend Kenmare over Killarney. Is Killarney too busy?
-- Killarney National Park
--Ring of Kerry
--Blarney Stone –yes or no?

July 18/19 – County Clare
Doolin – 2 nights OR Doolin - 1 night /Ennis – 1 night
--Cliffs of Mohr
--Burren
-- Aran Islands OR Galway ( Or does it make sense to do Galway next time when we do northern route?)

July 20 – Depart Shannon (Our flight leaves SNN at 12:40)

Thoughts About doing:

--Bunratty Castle
--Skellig Michael
--Ring of Beara
--Connor Pass
--Slea Head
--Brandon Point

Thank you!!!!

indy_dad Jun 23rd, 2012 09:12 AM

Ah, you've added a few more things were I might be able to help. Have a look at my blog (Killarney/Dingle/Galway) to see if that helps at all:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html

cchri24311 Jun 23rd, 2012 05:51 PM

I have been to Ireland several times and IMO you are trying to see too
much. The driving always takes longer than you think it will, and I am afraid you will spend many more hours in a car than you will like.
The coastal towns of County Cork are some of my favorite. Kinsale is lovely and has a wonderful bus system into Cork City for a day in the
city and the English Market. It is a perfect base for Blarney Castle
as well - easily done in an afternoon. As for the drive from Dublin, Cashel Rock is fantastic. I agree with the other's that reservations are a must especially during the summer months. Tour buses will be all over the Ring of Kerry and can be very annoying, I suggest the Beara if you really want to go that far. You will love wherever you go. Ireland is my favorite place. Slainte!