First time travlers to Italy around the end of October for 2 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I ( mid-50's) are planning our first trip to Italy. We are getting overwhelmed by the different areas to visit. We love to explore and are not necessarily into "tourist packed" areas. We started looking at Cinque Terra for a home base for a week with the idea of visiting the area towns. Then, take a train to Napels/Amaifi Coast area for the remainder of the time. Then, after reading some comments for other travelers, that seemed like perhaps we were trying to do much and see too many locations. Also, we read about Cilento National Park area that sounded interesting. Geez. There are just too many options, and nothing to base our decision on since we have no experience traveling in these areas.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Patti,

At the end of October the "tourist packed" places (that are packed for very good reason) will be less packed than in summer, so that's something to think about.

Also end of October is not the optimum time to visit the Cinque Terre, especially for a week. You might run into bad weather which would limit your hiking and outdoors activities, and that's what the CT is all about.

If you want to spend a week in the Ligurian Coast area, I would suggest one of the larger towns that would be a better base for that length of time. Maybe Santa Margherita Ligure. Portofino is just 10 minutes away and the CT towns an hour via train.

For a first visit to Italy for 2 weeks, I would recommend a mix of cities and countryside. Gives a very nice into to beautiful and fascinating country.

Amalfi Coast/Naples 1 week
Rome, and a day trip 1 week

or

Rome, Tuscany, Florence

Check out the guidesbooks and see what appeals to you. Study the map and plan geographically so you make the most of your time. Fly open jaw, etc., etc.

I personally wouldn't plan a 2 week trip with both weeks on just the coastal areas.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM

it really is going to depend on where you fly into and out of.
the Cingue Terre is lovely but a week there way to much time. one night would do fine, I was there end of feb and hit good weather so you never can tell about the weather. I would see Rome and then go South to Naples. once in Rome the train to Florence 1 1/2 hours, venice 4 hours. I would buy a map of italy and focus on what you want to see and distances.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle.

Flights in to Naples from our area in NC seem to be a good deal for October. We are currently thinking, maybe stay in Naples for a day or 2 after flying in. Then, move to the Amalfi Coast for a couple of days. We are trying to decide whether to rent a car or just use the train/bus services in the area. I have read different ideas on cars vs. area transportation. I know that safe parking may also an issue in some areas.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM

What are your arrival and departure airports in Italy? What are your interests, meaning what made you choose Italy for this trip? That info will help us provide suggestions.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Hi, Patti!

I live not very far from le Cinque Terre. Moved here two years ago -- so obviously I don't think a week here is "way too much time."

You seem to be attracted to beautiful, beautiful, unspoiled places, and you're in luck: Almost everywhere you go in Italy is beautiful, even when you're not by the sea (which you seem to have already picked up

However:

Late October does run the risk of bouts of rain on the Mediterranean coast, and if you are staying on the most mountainous parts of the coast -- where tiny towns hang on cliffs that plunge to the sea -- it can be hard to scoot out and do something else with your time.

What I will suggest is that you look to flying into Roma, and then, since you like undeveloped, beautiful places that tourists haven't changed or spoiled, think about basing at least some of your time in the Maremma part of Tuscany, which includes the seacoast.

Think about an itinerary that has you take a train to Orvieto to enjoy the fantastic sights

http://prestotours.com/blog/orvieto.jpg

and to pick up a rental car. And then head in the direction of Pitigliano

http://www.archeologia.beniculturali...iano_notte.jpg

and the seacoast region of Toscana.

If you base in a town in the Maremma, say around Magliano in Toscana

http://www.casalepereta.it/public/im..._pereta_06.jpg

You have the possibility of day trips to the sea if the weather is nice

http://www.holiday-apartment-tuscany...rto_ercole.jpg

hot springs near Saturnia if it's chilly

http://www.welcometuscany.it/tuscany...ot_springs.jpg

and gorgeous historic sights like the abbey of San Galgano

http://www.paradoxplace.com/Perspect...%2003%20AR.jpg

and Massa Marittima

http://www.agriturismosantorsola.it/massa_marittima.jpg

and dozens of other places I don't know about.

Since you will be there at the beginning of the wine and olive oil harvests, you will be well positioned to see a very non-touristy region of Italy come to historic life in the wine country of Scansano

http://www.about-maremma.com/scansan...i_scansano.jpg

and perhaps on your way back to Roma you can visit something of the olive oil production in Lazio, around Vetralla

http://www.elegantetruria.com/harvest.jpg

I would look for an agriturismo in the Maremma, but you can also hop around a bit and play it by ear. At that time of year, once you are out of Roma, you can easily find bed and breakfasts and albergo ristoranti (hotels with restaurants) without reservations.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM

I forgot to mention Tarquinia, with it lovely towers and Etruscan museum (and great seafood) as a possible place to include on your way back to Roma, and when I googled looking for a picture to show you, I found this b&b which a good example of the kind of place you can stay very cheaply and spontaneously. It's 30e per person per night:

http://www.bblapolledrara.it/
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM

To be simple without links, the trip I would enjoy taking -- but you may have other ideas! --

Fly to Roma -- 5 nights there, maybe including a day trip to Ostia Antica

Train to Orvieto, see the duomo, have lunch, pick up car, drive to Pitigliano for dinner and overnight.

Tour Pitigliano, drive to Maremma agriturismo

5-7 nights in agriturismo (preferably one that serves dinner?)

or 5-7 days following one's nose, staying at b&bs

whichever, as weather dictates, seeing the seacoast, San Galgano, Massa Marittima and other hilltowns, maybe the hotsprings, maybe a blowout lunch in Montemerano, maybe a trip to a Tuscan island if its Indian summer

start heading back to Rome -- maybe an overnight in Tarquinia or an overnight near the airport, taking in Ostia Antica if that hasn't happened already.

But if you don't want to have a car -- think about going to the area of Emilia-Romagna plus the Veneto, for the great art treasures and the great food in places like Parma, Ravenna, Verona, Mantova, Cremona etc -- all reachable by train.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM

To repeat a question already asked: What made you choose Italy for this trip?

And to ask a new one: Have you looked at any guidebooks? If not, go to a library or a large bookstore and look at the Italy guidebooks. Buy the one that seems to suit your interests and/or budget best. Then *read* it.

You might discover many places and areas in Italy that interest you that you have not mentioned. It's fine to avoid tourist packed places - and nowhere is going to be tourist *packed* in late October - but it's not the best idea, in my opinion, to look at a first stay in Italy *only* from that perspective.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Oh, I don't know. What's wrong with that perspective? It doesn't surprise me that people in their 50s know themselves well enough to know they don't like tourist packed places, so why should they spend the kind of money it takes to go to Europe for two weeks and make the one mistake they already know they don't want to make?

And while it's true that many of the tourists may have departed the most touristy places in Italy, a lot -- and I mean a LOT -- of bus tours are dead-set-aimed at October and November. And some towns, once they are distorted by tourism, never get back any authentic shape.

I think it's a great idea to go to Italy to see Italy-Alive-Today, unspoiled by tourist development. If it wasn't October, I'd encourage these people to follow their instinct and head straight to Cilento National Park and have a fantastic time -- and we all know they would! I'm just nervous about the weather. (And Patti, if you're not all that nervous about the weather, go for it! If it rains a lot, you can always pick up and go elsewhere spontaneously. In October, there a plenty of empty hotel rooms.)
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Patti11,

Someone recently put up a link to a trip report about their trip beyond the most touristed parts of the Amalfi, and even though it is several years old (the scaffolding at Paestum is down), I thought you'd be interested in that section. I think in your time frame, you wouldn't have a problem renting a car and finding secure parking. Were it me, I would take the train from Napoli and rent the car in Salerno, and then base somewhere that would give you a chance to see both the most touristed parts of the region, and Pompeii if you're interested, and explore off-the-beaten track too, like Cilento and this area:

"MARATEA: We took the coast road south from Salerno past Paestum but did not stop since it was raining and most of the Greek temples were under scaffolding.

We did make it a point to stop at the fishing villages of Agropoli and Palinuro since that seemed to be consistent with our trip objectives.

The entire coast line from Sapri south for the next 100 miles is simply stunning. The water is emerald green and the coast is dotted with tiny coves and broad sand beaches. It reminded me of the Big Sur coast of California, only more isolated.

We spent the nite in Acquafredda at the charming Villa Cheta Elite. It was our most expensive hotel but well worth it. This part of the Italian coast is not well known to tourists but the Italians see it as a major summer beach resort destination. We were just passing through, but loved it." (bobthenavigator).
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I think the question of why you are interested in Italy is an important one. It does seem as if you are drawn more to places for geographical interest rather than historical, architectural, cultural, or art sorts of interests. CT and the Amalfi area are both lovely, but I would not suggest them given the liklihood of less than optimal weather. Are the airfares to Naples really signficantly cheaper than Rome? I would not advise staying in Naples at all particularly since you do not sound like you are that interested in urban areas. If I am mistaken, choose Rome, Florence, Venice or many other places. Naples, while interesting, is rougher, more hard-scrabble and with more crime than numerous other spots in Rome. If the airfare is really great to Naples, and you are determined to go to Amalfi coast, plan transportation to Sorrento to rest for a night or two, rather than Naples.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM

We went to Italy in May and traveled from Lake Como (Varenna)to Cinque Terre (Manarola) to Venice over a 11 night period. Next spring we will return and go to Rome, amalfi coast, tuscany and Florence. I could probably return every spring for a decade and find a piece of Italy that is new to explore. Since this is your first time, maybe you should combine urban/rural and stay in northern or southern part of Italy. I have to say of all the cities/places I have visited in my life, Venice was breathtaking. It will be especially nice in October with less tourists. I think that it is a wonderful place to inaugurate your first visit to Italy. Have a great trip and remember you can go back.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM

It is simply NOT true that Napoli has more crime than Roma, especially not crime directed at tourists. Rome has a significantly large population of theives who prey on tourists simply because -- that's where the money is. A thief who preys on tourists is likely to starve to death in Napoli given most tourists disdain for it.

You certainly won't enjoy Napoli anymore than you will Rome if you don't like urban areas. But if you don't like urban areas combined with hordes of tourists packed in, Napoli might jolly well be your bet (and Sorrento is mass-tour-group-central). Napoli is not a relaxing place, but neither is Rome, nor is it relaxing to spend extra hours after a transatlantic flight getting from Rome to where you really want to go.

Thousands of people come to Italy and stay for the rest of their lives because of geographical interest. It's beautiful here! And the varied beauty of its landscape has indeed inspired a lot of great art many also come to see -- and some people will get real mad at you if don't follow the tourist trail of man-made stuff.

I want to add that the weather along the Med in late October carries as much risk of rain as the rest of Italy and in some parts even less. We're all concerned you understand that -- but I live in Liguria, right on the sea, and I expect to spend most of October eating lunch outdoors and seeing only intermittent rain. Obvious, living here makes a differnce. I can just wait for the rain to pass, knowing i'll be here when the sun shines. But if you want to risk it, October and November weather on the Mediterranean, when it is sunny, which isn't unusual, is gorgeous.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Many tourists love the city of Venice for all its man-made beauty, which is without compare, but if you like natural beauty and don't like places where the life is dominated by tourists, Venice may not be a wonderful place for you to inaugurate your first visit to Italy.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi patti,

having skim-read this thread, the trip I'd really like to do is the one suggested by zeppole.

plenty of variety, but not moving around too much, and a choice of activity depending on mood and weather.

5 days on Rome for a first trip would be great - just the right length of time to get a really good taste, but not so long that you suffer too much from culture shock.

regards, ann
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Visit Venice and and visit the countryside, both are beautiful and without compare. Everywhere I go besides northern calif, I visit as a tourist and Venice is where tourists go. Coming out of the train station in Venice took my breath away. That is all. We stayed away from the crowds in an apt. so perhaps didn't feel the crush of tourists as much. Have a great time and I am sure you will love Italy!
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Oops, there is someplace that does compare--the golden state!
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM

My favorite itinerary would be Sicily! We caught an overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo and had a blast. It was like a cruise ship with restaurant, entertainment, and although the cabins were small we only slept so it wasn't too much of a problem. We only stayed a couple days in Palermo where we docked, and although its busy it had some wonderful things to see, like a church with the most amazing golden mosaic we have seen. But we visited a small town not too far from there called Mondello and would stay there for the small fishing village atmosphere.

Then we drove through the interior and visited lots of ruins then ended up in Taomina, a hilltop village that overlooks the Sea.

We felt totally safe at all times, and found Sicily to be one of the most romantic places we have ever been

In fact I just put up a website that had an excellent article on 4 days in Sicily at www.strictlyeurope.com that might help you.

I would also spend a few days in the Naples area and visit Pompeii, Capri, and Paestum (some good ruins there) stay in Sorrento a fun beachy place and just spend a half day in Naples to see the sights. Oh, and go to the National Historical Museum that holds a lot of the fresco's taken from Pompeii.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM

annhg,

I want to take that trip myself! I've taken most of it in bits and pieces, but 7 day in a Maremma agriturismo eating local produce cooked by a local cook really appeals at the moment -- although I could easily sell myself on Cilento, away from the touristy parts of Amalfi.

Anyway, if you care to beat me to it (or if Patti wants to go) here is list of agriturismi in Maremma that have restaurants:

http://en.agriturismo.it/tuscany/gro...&filtra=Filter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -