Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

first time travels in Europe-so many places

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Kelly & Per

Hello-
My husband and I are travelling to Europe the end of March early April for our honeymoon and are frustrated because so many people tell us different places to go. We have friends in Amsterdam that we will be visiting. They have been everywhere and suggested touring Amsterdam, Paris, and Germany. Each day we try to sit down and plan our trip, someone who has been to Europe suggests a great place to go. We are interested in the Greek Islands, Italy, Paris and of course must fit in our visit with our friends in Amsterdam. What do you suggest? Where do we begin? We can fly into almost anywhere and are travelling during the off-season. We love to sight see, love beautiful scenerys, food,nightlife, etc. We like museums but really can't see spending alot of time indoors. We will be travelling for about 14 days. Where should we go? What is a MUST to do and see?

Thank you for your replies as we are first time European travelers and need other opinions.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Meg

We went to Paris on our honeymoon and just loved it. The problem with European honeymoons is that there is SO MUCH to do that you run around the entire time and are even more worn out after your wedding with no recuperation time. My suggestion would be to choose maybe 2 or 3 cities to see and just relax rather than racing around to do the "If it's Tuesday, we must be in Belgium" thing. Amsterdam is great. If you go towards the end of your trip, you may be there at the right time to see Keukenhoff Gardens - absolutely fabulous. There are many small towns in the Netherlands that you may enjoy making day trips to from Amsterdam. You could easily spend a week there - maybe 4 days in A'dam and 3 making day trips. I guess I'm biased, but my second city would definitely be Paris - and I'd spend an entire week there. If you want to throw in another city, try something in Belgium which would be so convenient. Maybe Brugges or Ghent. I'd rule out Italy and the Greek Isles on this trip - they both deserve an entire two weeks on their own. I hope I haven't confused you even more. Go to whatever cities you really want to see - but just try to keep it simple so you can enjoy it and not just be exhausted.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Tricia

I agree with Meg- keep it simple- if Amsterdam is a must then skip Italy and the Greek Islands on this trip and concentrate on that area. Ask you friends in Amsterdam about the Friesland islands like Texel and Terschelling. See photos of Terschelling on my website www.dutchnsuch.com

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 09:42 PM
D.B.

Newlyweds who don't want to spend time indoors? You must be true rebels, do you have a cause. gt;)

You say you get a lot of input from friends, and are confused. So now you post it here where you can get 100 times the advice and confusion...? But you realize you can't see the world in 2 weeks, and forget about trying to see half of europe.

I suggest you spend about 3 nights around Amsterdam visiting your friends, and then jump down to Venice where you will *probably* be in warmer climes for that time of year, and more daylight. After some time in Venice, you could also rent a car and spend some time touring the valley in northern Italy (maybe Lake Como). Be sure to read the post on the hotel in Venice

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:52 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree with above---get south of the Alps that time of year. Fly from Amsterdam to Venice for at least 3 nites
and, get your car as you leave, and hit
2 destinations after that. I would pick
Riva del Garda for 2 nites and then on to Bellagio---flying out of Milan.
I was there at the same time last year
and you want to be south. I will be in
extreme south Italy for April Fools day
this year---actually at the tip of the
heel of the boot. You may want to fly
direct to Naples and spend your time at
the Amalfi coast--hard to beat.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 05:18 AM
frankr

Amsterdam is a real hub for travellers-great connections by train/plane to anywhere.You might want to try a travel agent there, see what's on offer.Get the train south to France
or Spain.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Marija

Look into Transavia Air for really cheap rates for flights from Amsterdam.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:19 PM
steve

Since this is your first European trip it would be great to get a taste of several different types of places without wearing yourselves out. Also keep in mind geographical and travel logistics. Besides Amsterdam I would suggest another major city and Paris is a great choice. Then perhaps somewhere smaller, maybe somewhere in Belgium or northern France. If you choose to travel by train between locales get a rail map and see what places you might visit between Amsterdam and Paris.