Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time travelling to Europe, alone (Layover worries)

Notices

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I have been looking at flights recently and will be booking soon. The only thing I am worried about is layover times. It would be greatly appreciated if some may shed light on this. I know there have been other threads but I would like to know some of your experiences and if the times offered would be enough. These are the two bookings I have had my eyes on,

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1883/capture1ay.png
and
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5579/capture4wp.png

Thank you,
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM

The second one is better. You have a chance of being stuck in Zurich- do you have a plan B if that happens?
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

um Plan B's have not been thought of yet. I'm guessing 40minutes layover is basically edge living to the highest degree? And damn that was a fast reply thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM

I avoid Newark like the plague because every time I've flown through it, my flight has been delayed. However, I'm coming from Nashville; maybe the flights from Montreal are more timely? Maybe. There are sites where you can check the on-time stats for specific flights - sorry, I don't know them off the top of my head. Anyway. If your flight is on time (or even if it's delayed an hour), three hours in Newark should be fine. But 40 minutes in Zurich would definitely not be enough time for me, since you'll have to go through immigration. (Though I haven't actually connected in Zurich, so someone who has may be able to say better.)

On your way home, I'd pick the earlier flight, but that's probably a personality thing. I'd rather sit around in an airport for three hours than be at all stressed about making a connection, and the earlier flight still isn't till 11.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:02 AM

I cannot comment on the connecting times in Newark, but on your way back you have more than enough time in Munich.

On your way to Lugano, the connecting time in Zurich looks tight. But the only reason these short flights exist (it makes no sense to fly Zurich-Lugano as the train needs only 2 1/2 hrs), is to serve as feeder for the long-distance flights to/from ZRH.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM

Sorry.. did not look carefully enough to notice that the return flight was two different options via MUC.
1'50 is enough in MUC.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

hmm Well I just came across this flight

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/176/capture3nb.png

I have 1 hour roughly of layover from Zurich - Lugano. But now that you mention it, I think I may start looking for train tickets if the price is right.

And wow thank you to all who answered really really appreciate it!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:13 AM

Since you seem to have to fly back from Cologne:
You could also check the non-stop connections from Frankfurt to Montreal, and take the highspeed train from Cologne straight to Frankfurt airport.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

well I chose Cologne because I will be staying with friends whom live roughly 20 minutes from the airport. The biggest dilemma is the Lugano thing. The only reason why I must go there is because it is 30 minutes away from my friends summer home and once again he wont mind picking me up from there. I have looked at the train fares and well everything seems to be easier. Just 1 flight to Zurich and then the train. No airport changes and all. I think I may lean more towards this since this being my first time travelling alone I think spending 10 extra dollars and have a much simpler quest would be well worth it.

Here are 2 other flights I found which I found to be the best. But KLM or AF?? That is the question.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/capture7o.png/
and
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...apture8fi.png/

Once again thank you for the help cowboy the train idea is perfect and after looking I am saving roughly 50 bux and a headache!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:32 AM

Not knowing Zurich airport , you also have to figure out how/how/long /how hard it is to get from the airport to the train. In a few European airports the air/rail connection is very good ( LHR/VIE/ Berlin Schonfeld) but not sure of Zurich. Need to check that.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM

Again, I'm not that familiar with Zurich, but from the SBB web site you'd have to connect through the central train station in Zurich to get to Lugano. That's an extra hassle with luggage. There appears to be a 12:45 flight to Lugano from Zurich - even if you were able to get the 10:45 train to Lugano, the flight would still get you there slightly earlier, without having to deal with switching to the train. Your luggage would be checked through, if you're checking.

Also, if your flight were to be delayed, I don't know how Swiss train tickets work in terms of being able to change to a later train. Just a thought. Hopefully someone else can chime in there.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM

Another way to get to Lugano is to fly into Milan Malpensa then train to Lugano. Of course, the Zurich-Lugano trip is more scenic but takes longer.

I don't like layover in Newark, either.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM

I fly into Zurich farily frequently (have a client in Basel) and have had it take from 10 minutes to 45 to get through immigration.

Having a 40 minute window to change flights is way eyond risky.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM

I'm a bit familiar with those short connections in Europe. It's more likely you would make the connection than your luggage. If you're not checking luggage, not an issue, but still tight. Airline would get you on the next flight, but how long a wait?
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

yup so so far that Zurich Lugano switch is a no-go. I have been looking into train fares and so far my best options have been flying into Malpensa and training it to Laverno Mombello station since it's the closest train station to where they live in Dumenza Italy. I may go with this since I am italian and have no problem reading or asking for help etc.

@Greg do you know where I can purchase train tickets online from Malpense to Laverno Mombello? Train company name? All I have been using is the google maps.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 09:32 AM

Do you mean Laveno-Mombello (no R)? If so, trenitalia.com should work fine. If it's a regionale train, though, you can't buy more than seven days ahead.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes Jent and thanks. That is why when I put Aug 2nd I get no results. Thank you.

Just to let everyone know I will be going from Montreal - Amsterdam (with a layover of 2hours and 20min till the next flight) then to Malpensa. From there I will take the train until Laveno-Mombello and get picked up there. I end up saving 200$ doing it this way.

And to go home I go from Cologne - Amsterdam (with a layover of 3hours and 20 minutes until next flight) and from Amsterdam all the way back home to Montreal.

I figured these layover times should give me enough leeway to travel without much stress.

I also want to thank everyone who posted here for their help. I was overwhelmed when I came in here and now I feel like I know just about enough to travel properly.

Thank you all!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

and all with one airline, KLM.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:59 AM

Good choice. Amsterdam is easy to navigate.
And you clear immigration to the Schengen zone in AMS, and you can get some euros from any ATM in the transfer area for your time in Italy.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:12 PM

...and might have a chance to catch a few zzzzs. AMS is one of the few places that actually encourage you to sleep. they have recliners up on the second floor and plenty of soft chairs if those are taken. Very passenger friendly place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information