Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time traveling to Europe-Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-traveling-to-europe-italy-840329/)

daisyduke2 May 14th, 2010 10:18 PM

First time traveling to Europe-Italy

Going to Turin, Italy in October. Will be there for five days. Where should I go and what should I see? I will be traveling alone and I am in my early forties. I would also maybe like to take a couple extra days and travel to Switzerland or Poland.

adrienne May 14th, 2010 10:43 PM

Well the shroud is in Turin.

Can I ask why you chose Turin of all the places in Italy for your first European trip, especially as you don't know what there is to do there?

I would suggest Switzerland as Poland would be more difficult for a first-time traveler.

ellenem May 15th, 2010 05:43 AM

Turin (Torino to Italians) is a wonderful city for walking. The city center is stately (it was once the home to the kings) with porticos covering the sidewalks so walkers are protected from the weather. The Egyptian Museum is one of the best in the world and the Cinema Museum is impressive. The city has many historic cafes/bars with active pre-dinner aperitif-and-snack activity, and is well-known for its elegant chocolate shops.

With the Torino Olympics, the city created a wonderful tourist infrastructure. There are great Torino+Piemonte passes of varying lengths that include all the museums, public transportation, even boat rides and the incline rail to Superga overlooking the city, and regional museums as well. There is also a ChocoPass, giving samples at treats at many of the chocolate shops around the city.

http://www.turismotorino.org/index.aspx

laartista May 15th, 2010 11:30 PM

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Adrianne, Turin is kind of an odd choice for first time to Italy unless there is a specific reason you are going there. It was not my favorite in Italy, could be because i arrived 2 days after the Olympics. I will agree with Ellen though, there is plenty to do and the 2 museums she mentions are def worth a visit. Coffee/ Chocolate drink found in almost every cafe is to die for! But can't remember what they call it.

ellenem May 16th, 2010 05:09 AM

I visited Torino on my first trip to Italy. I did have a particular reason--a friend moved there. The OP may have a friend there, or business, or another reason. It's no matter. Torino has lots if interesting things to do and see.

The coffee/chocolate drink is called a "bicerin" (bee-che-rreen), named for the historic Caffe Bicerin in Torino where it originated.

zeppole May 16th, 2010 07:15 AM

Will you be there during the Salone del Gusto?

http://www.salonedelgusto.it/

I live in Europe and I am totally opposed to the thinking that there is a particular order in which Europe or Italy should be visited, or some cities are "right" for a first choice, and some are not. I also have no idea why Switzerland would be difficult for a first time traveler.

I much prefer visiting Torino to visiting Venice.

Torino is a very stylish Italian city and the historic seat of modern, unified Italy. It is not only the birthplace of Italian cinema -- hence its glorious museum temple to worldwide cinema -- it is the birthplace of the Italian auto industry with museums to prove it. In addition to these museums, there are several highly regarded art museums, the beautiful Palazzo Madama for classic art and contemporary art museums of world renown for those interested.

It is recognized as one of the gastronomic capitals of Italy, for both food and wine. Torino not only has legendary chocolate and coffee, enjoyed separately and together, it has truffles, world class cheeses, pastas and especially antipasti -- plus desserts.

And it has some of the best shopping -- both fashion shopping, quirky delight shopping and food shopping in Italy. The food emporious EATALY is a gastronomic pilgrimage site for many people.

Here is another online guide offers a good overview of the city's truly diverse attractions. (I am less of a fan of the Egyptian museum than others, perhaps because I have spent time in the collections at the Met in NYC, plus Brooklyn, the Louvre and the British Museum, plus a visit to Egypt).

http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/list.php?categoriaID=39

But for a 5 day trip, I highly recommend the Cadogan guide to Piedmont and the Italian Riviera, which will give you detailed information not only about Torino, but fascinating day trips by train and even routes into Switzerland by train that might intrigue you.

Have a great trip!

daisyduke2 May 16th, 2010 04:05 PM

I will be in Turin for the Terra Madre if everything goes as planned.

zeppole May 18th, 2010 09:26 AM

Looks fabulous. As a first trip to Italy, it will be quite a deep look at an important part of the culture.

The schedule of events looks pretty intense, so I don't know what time you'll have left over for day trips. But Torino is every bit the city that Barcelona or Brussels or Nice or San Francisco is -- meaning, 5 days in Torino doesn't begin to exhaust the pleasures of it. If you are at all interested in movies, I urge you to see the cinema museum, which is surely the finest museum of its kind in the world and a delight from start to finish. It also has one of the best views of the city (take the glass elevator to the rooftop) and one of the quirkiest cocktail bars.

Have fun in a fun place!

DRJ May 18th, 2010 10:30 AM

Do not miss Eatily. Its a ten minute cab ride from centro.

daisyduke2 Sep 2nd, 2010 10:24 PM

Grazie, to everyone who replied.

The trip is on and I will be going to Turin in October.
I plan to extend my stay for five more days. I have done a little research and decided to go to Venice but I am also interested in visiting another city along the way. I have been thinking about maybe Parma or Bologna. Any suggestions?