First Time to UK-New Itinerary

Sep 8th, 2000, 05:48 AM
xxx

First Time to UK-New Itinerary

Thank you to those who responded to my first post. We decided to eliminate Edinburgh from this trip and save it for another. The revised itineray is as follows: Day 1-Arrive London. Train to York. Night York. Day 2-Tour York. Night York. Day 3-To Durham. Would you recommend picking up our rental car in York or taking the train to Durham and getting a car there? Day 4-Hadrians Wall area and various museums. Overnight in the area. Day 5-Getting to North Wales. How many hours drive would this be? Night Wales. Days 6 & 7-North Wales. Day 8-Drive to Warwick. Tour castle. Can we manage this. I am not sure of the drive time involved. Day 9--Drive thru Cotswolds to the Wells/Avebury/Stonehenge areas. Again, is this too much for a day? Day 10-Spend Day in Bath. Turn in car. I am thinking of having a car for the portion of the trip from Durham-Wales-Bath. Days 11-14 London.

Your comment have proven most helpful so far. Thank you.

To GLuvsCats--we are planning our trip for roughly the same time and places. Post your email address if you wish to share tips directly.

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:57 AM
ron

Re, your day 3, I think Durham is too small a place to provide much car rental choice. When I was in the area, I rented in Newcastle - Alamo was quite close to the train station.

Day 4, the logical overnight is Carlisle, lots of B&B options. And since your objective for the next day seems to be to get to Wales as quickly as possible, you will be able to get right on to the M6. Personally, I would make it an all day trip by going through some portion of The Lake District.

Can't help with the rest of your trip - seems like more driving and less sightseeing than I would want to do.

Sep 8th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Mickey

We were in the UK in June for two weeks. It was a fabulous trip. We spent our first week in Ireland and then flew to Manchester. Although I had researched Ireland, at length, I had not researched Wales. We flew into Manchester and drove to North Wales. What a delightful surprise! Conway Castle is a must see. Llandudno is a delightful seaside resort. I couldn't help but think of Atlantic City at the turn of the century. I expected ladies with parasols to be walking on the boardwalk. Lots of hotels to choose from. You must take the ocean view road, it's spectacular. There's a copper mine at the top that is the oldest working mine in the world. Take the tour, you'll never see anything like it again. They have a little tea shop that's a delightful place to have a cup o'. Phrenren (sp?) Castle is another must see...it's amazing what money can buy and this castle has it all! It was refurbished by a wealthy slate baron, and obviously, money was of no concern. We planned an overnight look at Wales, and had to drag ourselves away 3.5 days later. We drove north on the M6 to Carlisle in only a matter of hours, as traffic flows very fast. We made no side trips at this point. In Carlisle we ate at the Millenium restaurant. It was obviously recently opened, but the food was fabulous! The lamb shank with minted potatoes will be forever remembered. I tried to make it when we returned home, and although I came close, mine will never be as good as theirs. We stopped in Durham for lunch and found it to be quaint and lovely. It's a university town with lots of delightful young people everywhere. The river flowing through the town is beautiful and very scenic. The outdoor restaurants were filled with young and old alike, all talking and laughing, the merriment spilled over from table to table. One couldn't help but feel fulfilled by food and fun. The shops were quaint and the shop owners eager to show you their wares and tell you all about Durham's history. It's a lovely stop. I must tell you we stayed in a wonderful hotel outside of Conway, Wales, through the castle wall and out into the country past a 6th century church. Unfortunately, I don't have my info with me. It has such an unusual name. The rates are low, the food great and the hospitality and setting are wonderful. I felt like I had stepped into paradise!

Enjoy your trip. We certainly loved ours.

Sep 8th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Julian

The North East to North Wales is about 250 miles and if you stick to the main roads it should take about 4 and a half hours plus breaks. Durham is a small place - as Ron suggests, you'll get a better choice in Newcastle, which is not that far away, or even in York. North Wales to Warwick is I guess about a 3 hour drive (about 180 miles - depends where you start from, obviously.) I think day 9 is far too crowded to see all those places properly.

Sep 8th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Heather B.

Hi,

I would echo Mickey's impressions of Llandudno in Wales. My aunt & I stayed there for a few days in early June at the Somerset Hotel. The town is wonderful. There's a great victorian boardwalk. You can take the tram to the top of the Great Orme. There are supposed to be spectacular views from there down into the bay and valley, but we were there on a day of immense fog (which phtographed much better than I anticipated!). We sat in the warmth of the coffee shop & watched people disappear into the mist. Llandudno also has some nice shopping and arcades on a main street near the oceanfront. I spoke to someone who had arrived to work for only a summer season & had stayed 14 years instead.

Heather