Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to take train, Florence to Venice

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Bob

I have read all that I can find here on Fodor's on this subject and was hoping to get some advice from someone who has experience. We will be driving to Florence for a 3 day stay and thought it would make sense to turn in the car there and take the train to Venice for the last stop on our trip. See if this makes sense. We don't need a car in Florence and the drive to Venice doesn't have any must see sights therefore take the train. My initial investigation into the cost difference is that we save more than the cost of the train tickets by turning in the car 4 days earlier.

We will have been in Tuscany for nearly a week before arriving in Florence so again the car probably isn't necessary. Does anyone see if differently or have any suggestions?

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Leah

Turn the car in - you do not want to try to park in Florence, and you can get around on foot quite well. We took the train from Venice to Florence (appx 3 hours), and picked up our car for southern Tuscany on the day we left Florence. It worked out great.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Bob

Leah, our hotel has parking (for a charge I'm sure) and we have been to Florence once but only for 2 days so we know how easy it is to get around on foot. I guess my main concern was first the ease getting from our hotel on the Arno River to the train station in Florence, getting the train tickets, luggage, etc. versus just packing the car and driving to Venice. We don't have any experience with the train so it's the fear of the unknown I guess. On the other hand a little adventure never hurt anyone so we are game if it makes sense.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Leah

If you're using Auto Europe, the office is very near the Arno, so drop-off of the car would be easy and maybe not so far a walk to your hotel. I cannot remember the name of the street, but it was near the Ponte alla Carraia. As for the tickets, that was easy too. We bought ours at the station the day we arrived, just to make sure we had good seats, etc. The station is not that out of the way - maybe a 10 minute walk from the Duomo.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Leah

I must admit, we chose train travel not only b/c it was easier for us (no hotel parking, didn't want to drive in town) but we wanted to experience train travel. I had never been on one before Italy. If train travel does not interest you, having the car would allow you to travel to Venice at your leisure, stop in any towns you may want to see (Verona, for example) and have much more freedom.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Alyssa

Hi Bob,

We took the train from Florence to Venice and it is very easy to use the train in Italy. We went 2nd class and I think round trip tix were about $50.00 a person. We bought them at the train station but had our hotel also reserve and a set for us for a Rome trip. i don't know how much luggage you have but you shouldn't have a problem with a couple suitcases and carry ons. we took a cab from the hotel to SMN (the station) and I think it was like $6.00 plus a tip. Our hotel was near the Ponte Vecchio on the Arno. Have a great trip!!

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Bob

So it all looks pretty easy and many thanks to all of you who responded. Looks like we will be train veterans after this summer.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Dawn

Taking the train to Venice is a snap. I'd turn the car in as soon as you get into Florence. You can look on trenitalia.com for times, or pop over to Santa Maria Novella when you're there. Florence is a small city and its easy to walk everywhere. Florence and Venice are my two favorites in Italy.