Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe Itinerary Help! (Italy and Paris/France)

Old Jul 26th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I have been planning a surprise trip to Paris for my mother (and me) for 3 months now. I have 21 days in Europe which means 19 FULL days of experiences to be had. (2 days lost time to traveling and jet lag) Originally I was planning the 19 days in Paris alone but I got to thinking... why not do some time in Italy too!

A little background of my mother: She planned a trip to Paris many years ago but never went because she was restrained by finances and 3 children. I am the youngest and I have grown up seeing my mom look longingly at pictures of Europe, especially Paris. Well now that I have a stable job - I have finally saved up plenty to take her!

She loves (wine and) art and is an artist herself - painting, sculpting, sketching, you name it she does it. Lately I have been secretly fishing information out of her of places she would like to visit besides Paris and she gave me Venice and Rome so of course those will be areas we will base out of in Italy.

I thought about flying into Naples first and staying in Amalfi Coast because I LOVE the views from Amalfi Coast BUT my mother is 50 (although she is fit) and I don't think she could handle going up and down 500 steps a day with 50 pound luggage so a day trip should suffice?

So here is what I have dreamed up so far:

Day 1: Depart from US
Day 2: Arrive in Rome (JET LAG) Relax. Rest. Recover - Moderate exploring
Day 3: Exploring Rome
Day 4: Rome (Day trip to Amalfi Coast) (Trains)
Day 5: Exploring Rome
Day 6: Rome to Florence at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Florence
Day 7: Exploring Florence
Day 8: Florence (Day trip to Pisa) (Train)
Day 9: Florence (Day trip to Tuscany) (Train)
Day 10: Florence to Venice at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Venice
Day 11: Explore Venice
Day 12: Venice (Day trip to Murano)
Day 13: Venice to Paris (Flight)
Day 14: Paris
Day 15: Paris
Day 16: Paris
Day 17: Paris
Day 18: Paris
Day 19: Paris
Day 20: Paris
Day 21: Depart Paris back to the US

I'm not planning anything TOO solid because my mom will want to plan everything with me. I will tell her on her birthday and then we will have 1 year to plan and save up money to spend on gifts and souvenirs in each area. But I am paying for all of the travel costs (Planes, trains, etc) and accommodations (Apartments, hostels, etc) so all she has to worry about is food and shopping.\\

I do not want to rush around trying to see everything because I want the trip to be relaxing and not all in a blur.

Does my Itinerary seem good or should it be amended?
Any advice?
General tips?
Is a day trip to Amalfi good?

Tell me your experiences!!!

Thank you so much!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Hi
First it is a great idea to make such a surprise trip.
Lovely.
I think you want to do too much - we did Rome Florence Venice (+ Sienne) without Almafi in 15 days and we were - shame on us - fed up... too many nice things to see, at the end it was too much, like going to 3 stars restaurants for a whole week, you start dreaming of going to McDo.

So I'd cut Florence or Venice and reallocate the days to be more 'relax' or flexible.

For me Rome deserves more time. And form there go to the Thermes of Caracalla and or villa d'Este.

Enjoy preparing the trip !!
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 11:57 AM

I think that your itinerary is fine, assuming that your mother is fit. Otherwise a slowdown might be in order, but leaving out one or both side trips in Florence might make the trip more relaxed.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 12:09 PM

Day 4: Rome (Day trip to Amalfi Coast) (Trains)

Not practical as a day trip - takes at least 3 hours if not more just to get to Sorrento and from there an hour or so to Positano, just one of nice Amalfi Coast towns.

Anyway for train info - booking really early can save a lot of money for trains to Florence and Venice (and if you want there is an overnight train Venice to Paris - www.thello.com) - but go to www.trenitalia.com for Italian domestic trains - see how much cheaper fares are for booking well in advance over walk up - and even in first class on discounted fares and IME first class for your Mom would be much more relaxed and not really that much more.

For more on Italian trains check www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

You can always get on trains by buying once in Italy IME but again you can save a ton in either class by booking early - those tickets however cannot be changed nor refunded I believe.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope you're exaggerating about 50 lbs. of luggage...

What time of year?

I don't know that it's too many destinations so much as the ratio of days. Seven days in Paris would be heaven, but perhaps you could sacrifice 2 of them to give you more time in the Italian destinations. FWIW, although 8:00a trains sound time efficient, you lose a morning when sightseeing things are open, and I'd probably take evening trains.

I probably wouldn't do the Amalfi trip from Rome. FYI, you can't do that excursion by train only. It involves a combination of trains, ferry, and perhaps bus or taxi.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Very nice that you are giving your mother this trip. But if you will have a whole year after you tell her then there is plenty of time to work out the details with her input. You don't need to book hotels a whole year ahead (6 months is usually plenty).

In general, on a 19 night trip stays of 3-5 days is fine, more if you want day trips. I usually plan a few days trips an then can decide once I am in a place if I want to take them. A week in Paris is good, there's plenty to do there even without day trips but if after a few days there you decide you want to see a smaller French town there are several that can be done. Do a search on 'day trips from Paris'.

Rome deserves at least 3-5 nights without day trips. Venice is good for 3 days. Florence needs at least 3-4 if you are going to do day trips. Siena is the 'best' day trip from Florence in the sense that it will give you a taste of a smaller Tuscan town but is still easily accessible by pubic transportation (bus in this case). So that pretty much uses up your days and does not include any time in the Amalfi Coast. You really can't do that in a day trip. So if you want some coast time then you need to drop something else or decide to pick up the pace and shave a day or two off other places. If you do decide to go there I'd use Sorrento as a base and plan at least 3 days.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 12:33 PM

I think your itinerary looks pretty good with the exception of the day trip to the Amalfi Coast. It is not realistic.

I would leave the itinerary as it is until your mother can weigh in on the trip. She is an artist - Florence should be her cup of tea - wonderful museums and art. I might skip at least one of the side trips there. And I wouldn't cut down on the days in Paris. After all, your mom has been dreaming of a trip to Paris for a long time.

It is lovely of you to plan this wonderful surprise for your mother. Leave your itinerary much as it is until your mother has a chance to plan details with you.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 01:04 PM

What a lovely idea! I agree with tweaking the itinerary a bit with your mother's input. When is your mom's birthday? Please report back when you spring the surprise!
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 01:41 PM

The day trip to the AC is fantasy. You won't be able to do it for the reasons PalenQ stated above.

I'd do Verona over Murano from Venice. Depending upon mom's stamina and your own, a day trip to the Loire Valley from Paris too.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Her birthday is this September! I will be giving her a scrapbook with the cover page saying "We are going to EUROPE" I did a few of the pages already that includes where we will be going in a general sense.(Rome, Venice, Paris - I haven't done Florence yet because I wasn't sure if I should include this) And she can fill in the rest of the pages with the pictures she takes while we travel.

Yes I was only dreaming with the Amalfi Coast. I suppose we will have to take a trip to southern Italy later in life to experience Naples and below and maybe Greece, but not too much later because I have heard getting there is exhausting . 50lbs of luggage between the two of us because our luggage will be half empty so we can collect items along our trip.

So here is a revision:

Day 4: Rome (Day trip to Tivoli)
Day 6: Rome to Florence at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Florence
Day 7: Exploring Florence
Day 8: Florence (Day trip to Pisa/Tuscany) (Train)
Day 9: Exploring Florence
Day 10: Florence to Venice at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Venice
Day 11: Explore Venice
Day 12: Venice (Day trip to Murano)
Day 13: Venice to Paris in the AM (Flight) Exploring Paris

Of course I will wait for her opinion to tweak things. Should I keep Florence? I felt she would appreciate it because of her heavily artistic background. Many things there she can fuss over.
The main thing is for her to be on the Eiffel Tower ON her birthday for lunch. So the Trip is from September 11th - October 1st 2016
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I just don't want to touch paris planning at all because my mom will probably change what I do anyway. I know she wants to stay in Montmartre because of the artistic background in that specific area. Moulin Rouge, Sacre Coeur, steps of Montmartre, etc. The apartment I have in mind has a view of the Eiffel tower (far away) and a view of the Sacre coeur however I am worried because some people have said its sketchy? But she wants to stay there so I'm not arguing.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Good for you!
You are on the right track---go for it.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 02:36 PM

I am glad you have removed Amalfi Coast. I would spend more time in Rome and drop Florence (or at least drop Pisa). The more day trips and location changes, the more time you are in train stations and on trains.

I loved Villa d'Este in Tivoli---one of my favorite things ever. I also loved Doria Pamphili (in Rome)...quiet and right in the middle of the city. A pleasant surprise. We were in Rome for 9 nights and didn't see everything. We did spend a day in Orvieto (in Umbria) and enjoyed it. Venice is gorgeous and I love me some Paris, so I never tire of it.

The one thing I have not done in and around Paris is Giverny. If your mom is an art lover, that may be a must do! I will get there some day.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Would this schedule be better for a slower pace trip?
I know my mom was interested in Pisa. Would that be a realistic day trip from Rome? There is so much to see! Maybe it's better that I keep things as blank as possible so if my mom wants to visit other places we can plan them in later.

Day 4: Rome (Day trip to Tivoli)
Day 6: Exploring Rome
Day 7: Exploring Rome
Day 8: Depart Rome to Venice in the AM (Train)
Day 9: Exploring Venice
Day 10: Exploring Venice (Murano)
Day 11: Exploring Venice
Day 12: Venice to Paris in the AM (Flight) Exploring Paris
Day 13: Paris
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 04:21 PM

Agree that you don;t want 50 pounds of luggage each - unless you are planning on moving there. Definitely pare down what you will take.

As for the itinerary I understand moving away from all days in Paris - and Italy makes a lot of sense of she is an artist, But now I think you are spreading yourselves too thin. If she wants to see lots of museums and galleries you are better going to fewer places and having the time to really esplore them.

So I would drop the AC and add a couple of days to Rome - probably taking a day away from Pisa.

But, you should really work with her to decide based on which works of art she feels she cannot miss.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Did you see my updates nytraveler?