Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > First time to Rome & 2 full days with teenagers . . . help please

First time to Rome & 2 full days with teenagers . . . help please

Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

First time to Rome & 2 full days with teenagers . . . help please

We have 2 full days in Rome on the 2nd & 3rd of January 2012. Looking for suggestions of what to do with our 15 & 12 year old daughters. We are an active family and full / busy days are our thing.

Would like to see all of the big sights (hopefully in 1 day) as we are really doing just a brief overview. I know that 1 day is not nearly enough to take in all of Rome but we only have 2 days in this city, so would like some help with the following:

Should we spend just 1 day in Rome doing a quick stop at the major sights & then spend the 2nd day travelling elsewhere? . . . . I wondered if it would be feasible to do 1 full day in Rome and then the 2nd day travelling to Pompeii - which I've heard is amazing.

OR . . . should we concentrate on Rome and save Pompeii for another time?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM

With 2 full days in Rome, you will barely scratch the surface of the "Big Things", essentially Rome is nothing but fantastic things to see, from the ancient monuments to the stunning art and sculpture in the churches and museums. Going to Pompeii would not be worth the trip.

You might want to check out my website, it has lots of free info on what to do and where to go in Rome. You'll find links to free guidebooks, MP3 audio guides, bus maps and my downloadable print guide. Also click on the Passage to Roma 2010 link, this will take you to our Vimeo site, where you can watch a series of free videos that detail some of the big and small locations.

www.passagetoroma.com

dave
Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:10 AM

Caveat Emptor on web site tout/troll above

www.viator.com/Rome/d511-ttd

www.virtualtourist.com Roma best insider info tips also

www.eurocheapo.com budget city guides Roma

gives you an idea of all you might do

in the short time you have...

Double Decker Bus or Walking Tours(free)Vatican Museums

www.ostia-antica.org far better than Pompeii way too far...

Happy Travels for best experience do research

Try not to cram RELAX enjoy...
Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM

I definitely recommend spending both days in Rome rather than trying to take a day trip. I would check out guide books with suggested itineraries for two or three days

I would advise one day Vatican museums and St. Peters and one day for the Forum/Palatine/Colosseum. Usually I think it is better to be able to do the Vatican museums and ST Peter's on two separate days but you have so little time traveling back and forth to the VAtican area twice would waste a lot of time

On the day you do the ancient roman sights (for which I think you should plan on at least 4 hours total) you could spend time at Piazza Navona and Piazza della rotunda (Pantheon). Trevi fountain and Spanish steps are possible to add then or the evening of the Vatican day

You could have dinner in Trastevere one evening to get a taste of that neighborhood

you are staying in Rome but it would really help to pick somewhere in the centro storico so you are close to everything
Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:03 AM

Jan, going to be cold, short days and probably wet. Go central, go dressed for the weather and plan to leave coats etc at museum entrances.
Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM

Definitely, definitely stay in Rome. Just Vatican City, assuming you plan to visit there, will take a large part of one day to see St. Peter's and the Museums. Trying to add the Colosseum and Forum on top of that, in January, would be a LOT to cram in.
Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM

Excuse me Qwovadis, but if you were referring to me as a "troll or tout" due to me posting my weblink, I'll have you know that I have been providing FREE information on this board for more years than you have been a member.

I compiled everything into a single website, which was designed to answer many of the questions that people have on Rome. In addition, I wrote a guidebook that people can FREELY download as well as a FREE series of 6 MP3 audio guides. The link to the online videos are also FREE. I also provide links to official Rome tourism guides. This is all done so that people don't have to search all over the place for things that those of us who spend a substantial amount of time in Rome already know. And it is all FREE!!!

dave
Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM

I just returned from a trip to Rome, Pompeii, Naples and Capri with an 11-year old (a bit younger than your teenagers, obviously). Here would be my recommendations:

(1) DEFINITELY stay in Rome -- you'll barely scratch the surface with just two days.

(2) Pompeii was great, but my niece found the Forum equally or more interesting. Her experience in both places was greatly enhanced by use of private tour guides who engaged her directly and answered her specific questions. In Rome we used Daniella Hunt at rome-tours.com, who was great. (Other posters will have additional recommendations I'm sure). Like many of the best tour guides, she really made the Forum and Colosseum "come alive" for us.

(3) With just two days, I'd suggest spending that you make the Forum-Colosseum (and if you have time, Palatine Hill) your major destination for one day, and St. Peters-the Vatican Museum your major destination for another. You can "work in" other attractions -- e.g. the Pantheon in between. Pre-book tickets for the Vatican so you don't waste time waiting in line.

(4) Build in time for just walking around the city including to major gathering places such as the Piazza Navonna, the Campo dei Fiori, etc.

Good luck!

Search this Thread